Multi Target Macros?

Trying to speed up my ability to target the right mobs on Heroic Zul, thought of a multi-targeting macro… i.e. that simply goes down the list in terms of importance. Didn’t seem to do what I wanted, so I vaguely remembered that the macro may have to be listed backwards… i.e. the LAST mob you want targeted at the top and the most important one at the bottom… i.e. that it tries to target starting at the bottom of the list and works upwards until it gets something targeted.

Is THAT the correct way? Just like to know so I am ready when we step into that fight (Friday for my group).

Ya but most groups just zerg him on heroic so you’re just dpsing the boss 99% of the time, making a macro like this useless and/or harmful to the group (should you happen to hit it and then break a hexer out of cc).

Also, all priority targets are displayed as Boss Frames on that fight.

Uh, he is a progression boss at this point, zerg not an option. Ever heard of LOS? Know any mages that can shoot out of their butts? Look at the 3 pt text of those “boss frames” taking my eyes from the center of them screen, yeah, not going to happen. BUT thanks for the “Ya.”

/cleartarget
/tar <lowest priority mob name>
/tar <second lowest priority mob name>
/tar <another mob name in priority sequence>
/tar <second highest priority mob name>
/tar <highest priority mob name> 

lol a target macro’s not gonna make you automatically turn around either. Furthermore, there’s no other mechanics to worry about during that phase, other than reactionary ones, so you’ve got plenty of time to look around without worrying about getting instagibbed. You could also move your boss frames closer to the center of your screen so you can see them easier.

I’m just trying to provide you with solutions that can be developed into good habits so you don’t become reliant on making /tar macros for every boss with priority adds. Surely you don’t use a /tar macro for the adds on Zek.

Elvie with respect, I use /tar macros for priority adds all the time partly because I’m ranged and picking out the right nameplate by mouse in a busy scrum is a PITA and partly because I have my targeting as the 1st step in a chain of macros associated with each targeted attack and it’s just not that hard to have special targeting macros ready to drop in if I need to do something other than the default.

“Turning around” isn’t generally an issue for ranged attackers as for the most part, we’re back far enough from the fight to see all of it and if we get something coming up from behind, we can see it and quickly turn and re-target.

I don’t think of that as not being “good habits” so much as being properly prepared for any given fight.

Trust me, it’s been several raids since I felt any need for a targeting macro on a boss! When did I say anything about turning around? Far as I know, a /tar will not target a mob behind me, the point is we gather up stuff in the center of the room, so I am almost always facing that direction. Yeah, I do cc duty, so turn around and blink to the hexer is my move there. As it is, while I’m ranged, I’m in pretty tight, not good to have pools of darkness spawn far away. And yeah, we try and have someone at least stand next to someone soaking a pool as the soaker MAY need to run to the edge when they get dark revelation (has happened to me many times), so someone needs to replace them real quick.

Bad assumption that a group that is doing H.Zul progression at this point has a bevy of 25k & 30k dps talent. We’ve only managed to get this far with very tight teamwork and spot on mechanics performance… not mythic gearing and zerging stuff (welllll, Fetid is almost kind of a zerg, lol).

PPS - You can use unitid’s in /tar macros. So you could use the following to prioritize units that appear in the boss frames.

/tar [@boss4,harm,nodead] [@boss3,harm,nodead] [@boss2,harm,nodead]

That’s the source of my assumption.

Total derailment at this point, as you’ve already gotten your answer, but from looking at your logs I’d say your group has the DPS to zerg him.

These are your P1 logs from this week:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CkvFPQ1GdpWX37Yw#fight=27&type=damage-done&phase=1

These are our P1 logs from the week before we switched to the zerg strat:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Cn9Qh1AJGB2PMrbR#fight=32&type=damage-done&phase=1

You’ll notice you’re actually pushing him into P2 a full minute quicker than we we’re. Hero off the pull and you should have no problem zerging em. That said, I’m not telling you how your group should be run but I legitimately feel you’ve got the DPS to simply your life and the kill itself. Oh, and if you continue with the strat you’ve been using, you might want to try popping Hero a couple % before the P2 transition. Helps you clean up the remaining adds and makes the transition easier on the healers.

PS - If you Hero of the pull on Fetid next raid you should be able to push him < 50% before the first adds and he’ll die even quicker :smiley: Also, I’m jealous you guys have an Arms Warr.

Oh, and on a separate note, if you don’t already have it I highly recommend grabbing Advanced Interface Options. It’ll give you easy access to things like Max Camera Distance and Nameplate Display Range that can greatly increase your visibility of the battlefield.

1 Like

/targetexact will target behind you, though.

If you don’t mind putting the full names of the mobs in, you can use that.

I get lazy a lot and use /tar but /targetexact may be what you’re looking for.

I know I was kinda snippy and DO thank you for being a gentleman and trying to be helpful. Understand that I am trying my best to overcome some limitations in motor skills that have seen better days… a LONG time ago. So things like this CAN be very helpful. Found that only very occasionally do I use the macro… with the 50+ cracks we’ve had on it, I can much better anticipate what is happening (i.e. the more attempts, the slower the fight gets to me).

I find my dps really goes to hell (I think you found the one pull I did my absolute worst at!) when I get, say, 3 Revelations and 2 Pools. I try and get close to anyone soaking a Pool in case they get a Revelation. Liberally using blink helps those out a bit. Yes, we have switched Time Warp around from pull to Phase 2.

We hit him again tomorrow, I’m sure hoping we finally get him dead.

1 Like

No worries. When it gets too frustrating look up Gnome Sequencer.