Movies you hate but everyone likes or are critically acclaimed

What some movies that are critically acclaimed that you absolutely loathe? I got one on the top of my head.
Avatar, the blue people one. Its just Pocahontas with aliens and does a great disservice to the military and has a rather preachy theme of ecological tribespeople being “noble savages” and white men are evil imperialists. It is just environmental alarmist film that romanticizes the hunter-gatherer life.

edit: I should also add for you to elaborate on why you dislike a particular film.

7 Likes

I hated Akira.

I am ready for your unbridled hate weebs.

9 Likes

Avatar and Signs. Terrible movies.

Signs is a movie about aliens that are violently allergic to water coming to a planet that’s 70% covered in water. A 5-year with a Super Soaker could kill them. Really dumb.

Avatar ripped off Disney’s Pocahontas, Fern Gully and Dances with Wolves. I fell asleep in the theater. Plus, it kind of irritated me the way Cameron portrayed the military in this movie. 300 years into the future and we’re racist white guys? Thanks Cameron.

1 Like

I should rant, but… the balls are strong in this one. :pray:

I personally really disliked

Schindler’s list
and
Fight Club

3 Likes

Why do you dislike Schindler’s List? Is it because it is too gloomy and gut-wrenching?

Life of Pi

I’m really not a fan of “What a twist!!!” endings.

1 Like

The Godfather.
I watched all 3 and I was really underwhelmed.

3 Likes

I would have probably enjoyed Avatar if they’d kept it down around two hours. Three hours of that crap was too much.

Donnie Darko and Fight Club are two more I don’t like.

Same here. On my top 3 list for the worst all time movies.

1 Like

Austin Powers, I severely detest the character. Gross waste of my time. Like, I really, really, hate Austin Powers.
The Shining, though I might just be mad that it deviated away from the book so much.
The Silence of the Lambs.

1 Like

Gr… this is a huge pet peeve of mine, hey screen writers, are you an international best seller? No? Then stop trying to rewrite the work of someone who is.

3 Likes

It’s fine that you two don’t like The Shining but Stanley Kubrick was a genius. It’s very rare that any director and/or screen writer is going to make a movie that’s an exact copy of the book.

4 Likes

When it first came out, everyone raved about how hilarious “There’s Something About Mary” was. Sophomoric gutter humor, where can I sign up?

I rented the movie and watched it and don’t think I ever laughed at it. But, I’m not a fan of “cringe” humor. Real Life is too cringe worthy without paying to view it on the big or little screen.

3 Likes

The movie was a hard OK from me, but not nearly as good as the book. Kubrik changed characters and left out key elements of the plot which weakened the over all story.

One movie I hated but most everyone universally loves is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It isn’t funny. It’s annoying, not funny. I know I’m in a fairly small minority with this opinion.

On the flip side, one movie I very genuinely thought was terrific but which most people weren’t impressed with is the 2001 remake of ‘13 Ghosts’. People generally were very underwhelmed with this horror film, but I was absolutely captivated with it.

2 Likes

When I was a kid and I watched The Shining, I loved the dark bleak atmosphere throughout, and Nicholson is always great. However, I grew up and then really got into King. After reading the book, I went back to the film, and yes, I hated it. It’s like someone told him snippets of the story and he said, “I think this is the way it went” Kubrick is very good at creating a dark, atmosphere, void of emotion, but he isn’t a story teller…in my opinion.

I do agree that no one can capture the exactness of the book (1984 is very close); part of that is the subjectivity that is reserved for each individual who reads it, so no one director is perfect for everyone.

2 Likes

Like I said, I’m not arguing with you on your choice of The Shining. I was just disagreeing with the other dude on whether or not Stanley Kubrick is worthy of directing a movie based on a Stephen King book. I think he is and he’s widely thought of as a great director. One of the best.

1 Like

I too liked 13 Ghosts, it was original.

The one I love that everyone hates is, 30 Days Of Night. I thought it was fantastic, a vampire movie that shows them in their true form…ruthless killers, instead of romantic liaisons.

2 Likes

oh neat, i really like thir13en ghosts too! it’s got neat little world building details that i really enjoy (the whole concept of the black zodiac is cool), and i adore the work the costume department did for the ghosts

on-topic i can’t really think of any movie i’ve seen that i hated that everyone else loved. i’m kind of “eeeh” on cameron’s avatar now because despite what he says it’s not a very original movie, but i do like the effort that went into making the setting feel like an actual place.

1 Like