Moved to a Shard with no IPV6 Support - Long Load Times

My internet and the game client both fully support IPV6. I joined a realm shard that only had IPV4 support, causing higher latency, ability delays and very long load times when being summoned.

I have a have a screenshot showcasing this. Would appreciate some help in understanding how I can avoid this in the future.

I only play from Linux, as I have since the BC expansion.

I noticed I had IPV6 turned off, in my operating system, which Cox did not support at the time anyway. Now I have it on, since it is working with Cox in my area.

I notice no difference in latency, with the IPV6 to when I had forced IPV4 only. My latency was 18 MS 18 MS either way (that improvement came in the last few months, on my ISP, from usually 70 MS 70 MS, while IPV4 was still forced on my system.)

IPV6 should have nothing to do with your latency on that shard. More likely, it is something to do with where the shard is that gives you the latency (also preventing you from connecting at IPv6), rather than the IPV6 itself.

When IPV6 is enabled, my latency on both home and world remains a consistent 30, give or take 1 or two. When the WORLD changes to IPV4 and my HOME remains IPV6, my WORLD latency increases to 60+. I have a screenshot if you if you’re looking for confirmation.

Additionally, load times when being summoned or zoning increase from approximately 3-4 seconds, to closer to 30 seconds or so.

Something recently must have happened as I have been unable to login to wow with IPv6 for the last 2 weeks (with no issues at all for about a year before that). Hopefully a blue can look into this. Like the OP, it’ll just hang there for 15-30 seconds then finally default back to IPv4.

I don’t think too many players even know what IPv6 is - let alone use it to connect to wow which is (most likely) why it has gone unnoticed.

It could very well be that I’m connecting to a shard that is double the distance away from my home location, but nevertheless, the protocol for the WORLD server changed to IPV4 while home remained IPV6. This happened while I was invited to our usual, guild raid group on Stormrage and lasted throughout the evening. I can see if maybe I connected to an Oceanic realm group or some other long distance shard, but this was everyone on from the same server in the same instance zone.

Just a quick update:

After a little more testing, It appears (for me) that only the LA datacenter is rejecting IPv6 connections. I tried a server on the Chicago datacenter (Ysera) and had full IPv6 (Home/World).

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi Folks

Looks like another thread here:

Tech support responded to the other thread noted above… they are looking for data from people with the issue to be posted there and are looking to fix the issue.

Good catch. Play on the Chicago realms till they can figure out what’s going on in LA.