Moved over to FF14

I was watching a video of it earlier and it doesn’t look bad at all. Guess they really made a lot of changes when they hit it big with that revamp expansion.

ive moved over to FF14 and im enjoying the story and the better crafting

I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself in 14.

Wasn’t the case for me unfortunately…
Final Fantasy is my favorite RPG series but the MMOs are not something I ever liked.

How are pugs in FF14? Do you get meaningful gear from using the dungeon finder at max level? Are dungeons viable if you don’t have an organized group on coms?

I don’t even try doing pug dungeons here in WoW. Pugs in WoW that are high enough to give good gear are gated by raiderlo. Players here tell you mythic plus dungeons are for heroic and mythic raiders. Scrubs need not apply.

Everytime I’m reminded of FF14 being a good community I look at the FF14.txt twitter to reassure myself that even they have a lot of strange kinks.

Pugs are fine, FFXIV’s version of LFR is called an Alliance Raid and it means there’s 3 groups instead of 1, and all Alliance Raids are unique and separate from the regular raids that are done for progression.

Dungeons are used only as a stepping stone into the Trails (1 boss fight) and Raids, both have different difficulties. There is no equivalent of mythic+.

The nice thing especially is that the automated duty finder for raids doesn’t nerf the difficulty, so on average pugs are much more successful…simply because most of the population has pugged at some point to get a clear. If you aren’t a fan of that, there’s still the group finder ala the one that’s in WoW. Then you can also just join a guild if you don’t like that.

If you’re just aiming for higher number gear and progression raiding though, the game isn’t for you. There’s a bajillion different challenges and huge feats to do that have nothing to do with chasing higher numbers in the same few pieces of content at max level, and they are worthy challenges indeed.

Like Palace of the Dead floor 200 or Heaven on High, that’s some of the most difficult content in the game and WoW has no equivalent or anything even remotely resembling it. There’s tons of content FFXIV has like that, it isn’t all about grinding bosses at max level, so if that’s all you’re about then look elsewhere.

3 Likes

This is the most off based, bs, non-sensical, farthest from the truth, thing that I have ever read on these forums. Extreme / Savage raids in FF14 = to LFR?! You are on something that has completely destroyed your brain cells.

3 Likes

Thanks I think I have a general idea of how they do things at max level. Both games look fun if you are a good player. Getting good is something you will need to do in any mmo. I’m not and will have to change that or move on.

I watched a Tauren warrior in a wq this morning and was amazed at how good he was. He seemed to switch targets effortlessly and flowed from one target to another dropping everything in sight. It gave me a different attitude about why some people harp about getting good.

I made this thread 3 months ago. I ended up unsubbing from FF14 now, but not because there was anything wrong with the game. I still think the game is overall structured to have a better community and be more inviting to new players, and that’s something WoW could learn from.

2 Likes

I started playing Shadowbringers. About 70% through the story right now and I feel they really hit it out of the ball park. It’s hands down probably my favorite expac for an MMO so far-- and I was obsessed with WoW back in the WOTLK age. Still enjoy WoW occasionally, but I’m not finding it as fun as I used to. I’m sure I’ll be happy to hop back on in a month or two, though!

3 Likes

Shadowbringers has raised the bar so high that i’m curious to dee what blizz will make for next expansion.
It looks like the king is in trouble cuz alot of new ppl are liking ff xiv making good comments about it. Unlike wow bfa fiasco.

3 Likes

i think they need to increase their staff. they always say they can’t do this or that (like upgrading textures or making a m+ version of their irrelevant 5 mans) because they are too busy with their 3 month patch cycle.

their last stormblood patch was like 20 min of msq and a faceroll gilgamesh meme trial thats pretty pitiful for 3 months.

the savage raids get cleared within a week by alot of guilds (not just their version of method) due to only ever having 4 bosses in a circular arena that you just load in from a queue in town. then its back to nothing again for like 6 months. they even said they are thinkinh of dropping ultimate difficulty to 1 per expansion when in reality every single raid boss should have one like mythic does

meanwhile blizzard throws out 4 versions of a raid with more bosses a new large instance and a new zone in a patch even at their most likely lowest sub count ever while ff is boasting new records.

so like i said either they dont have enough staff or square keeps siphoning ff14 to fund their other games which is a shame cause i like the game but there is just literally nothing to do endgame.

and no glamour and housing is not endgame, same with crafting since gil has no use

I got to level 70 in that game and it was just trash. The only thing it has is a good story. The combat is so damn slow even at higher levels, which everyone said it picked up, but it didnt. The community in that game are a bunch of losers who dont want to play with others, they just want to play the story. They just added a new feature in the game which allows people to run dungeons solo with NPCs and everyone in that game is happy about it because they dont like to group with people. Its hardly an MMO.