Moved over to FF14

Hahahahaha, garrosh is a horrible story

1 Like

Not really.

Garrosh had his vision of what the Horde should be and what the world could be. He wanted a future for the orcs by any means necessary and did anything to reach that goal. He started off as an honourable warchief but slowly overtime took a more extreme approach to fulfill his goals. Thrall was forced to leave the Horde in a bad position which Garrosh HAD to pick up the pieces to and that put a lot of stress on Garrosh.

The orcs had to push further into Ashenvale as they needed food and supplies to continue living and Garrosh wasn’t going to let his people starve to death. However, Garrosh is also half to blame for putting them in a bad position too as he was too aggressive and didn’t learn much about alliances, trade deals, trading, etc. He was an orc who thought like an orc. He ruled like an orc, fought like an orc, and died like an orc.

Garrosh was an orc. He acted like how an orc would if in power.

All they did was take hitler and turn him into an orc, no real great story there, and a horrible ending that most people hated. He was OK in cata and they they backflipped on him. By the end of mop he was just a nutso.

Yeah. Garrosh had the potential to be a good story, but they made him a genocidal maniac as soon as he got some power under his belt.

… that sounds more like FFXIV than WoW, especially looking at the lead up to the upcoming expansion.

*** STUPIDLY HUGE SPOILERS WITHIN ***

First off, the Garlean Empire vs. Eorzea is a pretty explicit “Ideology vs. Ideology” conflict… if presented with the Empire being rather callous and arrogant (not uncommon for them to refer to Eorzeans as “savages”), but trying to forcibly civilize and/or modernize their neighbours. The perspective of the Garleans is that they’re helping people.

Another key detail, not really revealed until the later stages of Stormblood, is that a driving factor for this is the belief among the Garlean Empire that summoning primals too often drains the landscape and leaves it a dead husk, using the area referred to as “The Burn” as the example of this… only for us to find out it’s a lie, and that it’s due to redirecting the “flow of aether” by a precursor civilization using their ancient and advanced technology.

While Gaius (the first major villain) appears to just be a guy who’s trying to conquer Eorzea, he’s a strong follower of this dogma put forward by the Empire… if a more forcible to the conquering approach.

Zenos is more of a brute and force of nature villain.
A compelling threat, if not the most interesting villain… so far.

The Ascians are still presented as a largely “evil”, but we’re expecting some elaboration going forward; especially with the next expansion actually having the player character become the “Warrior of Darkness”. They just may have a point and a “greater good” goal, though probably only from their perspective.

The REALLY intriguing villain is Solus, who’s shaping up to be the biggest “magnificent bastard” to grace the FF series… but his existence within the current story and his role in it is a COLOSSAL spoiler all by itself.

Sorry, but in comparison, Garrosh is a small-time brute of a villain.
Even his emotional character arc is rather lacking.

2 Likes
FF14 spoilers

That’s exactly what it is, from what I understand they’re trying to resummon Zodiark to balance things back out. Hydaelyn, by herself, is bringing too much light to the Source and apparently the shards too, since that’s why we’re going to the First to begin with. We disagree with their methods and they’re doing it in a stupid way, but they are technically trying to help.

The antagonists in FFXIV do have proper motivations. Everyone has their reason for their actions and ideology of what they think is best for the world. Evil vs good is not even the focus in the FFXIV world. (HINT: It’s the balance between light and darkness.)

2 Likes

I’ve been taking every quest that I see in the area(s) that I end up moving to and from, just for the experience and I’ve been advancing the Archer quest line as main priority (one was level locked at 10, so I did other quests to get to 10, then I picked that up and worked on it).

I’m still getting used to the travel system. It’s similar to World of Warcraft Hearthstones but add in the smaller crystal things you can use to jump around if you find them, and it took me a while to wrap my head around that. I tend to use the long cool down jump back to my “bind” point because I’m afraid to pay the small amount of gil to port because I don’t know if currency will become scarce later on.

The gearing even had a learning curve – I got a quest reward piece of armor and then a bow, and it took me forever to find where the game put those items, even though I kind of saw the newby heads up window that told me it was putting the item(s) somewhere. But I got that sorted out and know to check in there and try to keep the best item equipped for a slot. I don’t really know which stats are more desirable for Archer. I definitely haven’t found a “look” that I like yet, I got a body item yesterday that looks like one of those fake Sumo wrestler suits on my character. My kingdom for a MOG!

Aside from side quests (which can run out), you can also use hunt logs, challenge logs, FATEs, guildleves, and guildhests for leveling until you unlock dungeons and duty roulettes. But always prioritize MSQ and your class/job quests.

There are multiple ways of getting gil, but just running the daily duty roulettes would suffice to cover teleportation fees. If you join a free company (guild), they may put up various buffs on rotation for their members, one of which is decreased teleportation fee (another would be increased experience points). Once you get to do hunts at level 50, you can even practically erase the fee if you’re active with hunts. And there are various buff you can unlock from your grand company (you join one around level 20 MSQ).

Dexterity is your primary stat for Archer/Bard and Critical Hit is your main secondary stat. If you look at your list of abilities, you’ll notice that quite a few will proc based on crit on your DoTs at higher levels, so bards usually stack up on crit via crit materia that you can equip to your gears, sometimes even if it means less dex.

Meh, I have no sense of fashion and usually just wear whatever is highest item level I have with only the chest/leg slots being “mogged” to something silly.

A recent look for my level 70 bard (the hand is different now because I just got an upgrade earlier): https://imgur.com/Vxe6RuC

2 Likes

I keep wrestling with my self over wanting to fully commit to making the switch to ESO with my wife.

1 Like

Don’t worry too much about gil. Once you start leveling up, you have tons of ways to make it. Majority of my money came from doing the random daily dungeon roulettes. During my time in Heavensward and Stormblood, there are multiple ones you could enter and I usually used 5 of them.

There is also a Challenge log that gives you gil for just playing the game and another set of challenges that give gil for completing 5 - 30 other challenges. If you also tinker with crafting, gathering, PvP, FATE quests and the Gold Saucer stuff, you can easily hit 30 challenges. The challenge log resets every week.

Zuelle basically covered why you want crit for Archer / Bard. Looking through a FF14 post, most agree to this priority. It tends to be the case for pretty much all DPS classes except Black Mage who favors Spell Speed instead.

Critical Strike > Direct Hit > Determination > Skill Speed

Critical Strike also increases critical damage done, so it’s not much wonder how it became the king stat. Direct Hit is basically a second crit proc, but it does not proc your song buffs. Determination is just a flat damage increase.

2 Likes

I disagree, old Sylvanas was a tactical genius who had everything taken from her thus falling to vengeance. New Sylvanas just hates life and became generic undead evil…

Also she became an idiot.

3 Likes

She lured the Alliance leadership into UC and would have killed them all if it weren’t for Jaina ex Machina, how is that being an idiot?

Yes I can agree the loading screens and the quest dialogues do take a long time. I cannot comment on PVP as I have not done that in FF yet. But, I am sorry I do have to disagree about abilities. My “easiest” character in FF14 (not even max level yet) has a full action bar of abilities MORE than any character I have in WoW. To say there is a lack of abilities is misleading. Unless you’re not talking about class abilities, that’s what I got out of that.

Having said that, I still play WoW, I’m not happy with current BFA content, but I still play WoW.

1 Like

Different strokes for different folks.

Combat feels laboured on FF as well to me, as well as the frustrating invisible walls I always seemed to find when I wanted to explore.

Swtor had the story that WoW doesn’t have, graphics in between the two, the combat fluidity of WoW, but it does have the wall-in feeling of FF (although no invisible walls). And no, SWTOR is not dead, it’s still populated although they merged down servers.

Not sure what people don’t like about WoW, I’ve come back from a long break and find it pretty good. I think people are getting hung up on the grinding, when that has always been the essence of MMOs. Instant gratification is better found in FPS games.

In short:

The class design feels way worse then in the past (wrath/cata/mop eras)
The RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG feels horrible
You can never be “done” with a character because of TF (WF was ok, felt like a bonus, but now if something doesn’t TF it feels bad)
Player agency was all but entirely removed
and more, but that’s about enough of that

Fun fact, someone brought up APM charts elsewhere, about 1/3 of the wow specs now are just as slow as some FFXIV jobs are fast…

Frost dk is the worst, 36 APM… that’s equal or lower then every FF job.

1 Like

RNG has always been here, always will. It feels no different than back then other than being improved with no loot rolls and you actually get gear that matches your toon.

Most of your reply was pure opinion, so not sure what you’d expect me to say?

DK is in a bad place right now, but you’re using probably the worst spec to say FF is fully comparable to wows combat fluidity. It isn’t.

M+ is entirely RNG, without ML raiding is ENTIRELY RNG, what WQs you get and their rewards are ENTIRELY RNG. There is ZERO player agency left in the game, you can’t really target anything.

To say that RNG feels like it always has is laughable and makes me think you haven’t played before they started removing player agency in WoD.

Before an item would either drop or not, and you either got it or not.

Now an item has to drop, it has to drop SPECIFICALLY for you which can be influenced by other drops you’ve gotten (if you got a drop the boss before, no matter if it was crap or not, gl getting the drop you want), or maybe someone else will get it to drop and it will actually be tradeable, but chances are its not. Then not only does all that have to happen… it can also choose to be WF or TF, it can roll sockets or not, it can roll tertiaries… it’s a pain in the butt.

Just give us items at a guaranteed ilvl with set socket amounts and be done with it. Or at most 5-6 levels of WF like mop and WoD, TF needs to die.

Btw, it’s not just DK, i said 1/3 of the specs, try to read.

2 Likes

A lot of Blizzard’s designs seem to be based around making the character never feel “done”. Your heart of azeroth seems to do something similar. At the end of the day, these sorts of things just feel bad and make you want to stop caring. Players want to have a goal to work towards, not one where the goalpost keeps moving till you’ve devoted an absurd amount of time just to chase that feeling of being complete, until the goalpost moves again the next patch.

That’s a lot of what I miss, final goals.