Moved over to FF14

“mentors” run every dungeon, their dungeon roulette is every trial, every guildhest, every dungeon, everything from normal to extreme.

1 Like

I was level 62 BlM, only reason i got there is because i met my FC leader at 30, and she helped me.

no guides, no sites worth a crap, game was super weird.

what the heck would you need a guide for? The game points you everywhere you need to go.

Only thing that guides really help on is leveling crafting, and there’s an amazing site for that.

And I suppose DPS but there’s great resources for that too, but you were nowhere near needing that.

1 Like

You keep saying

and i suppose another guide

The game is confusing, sorry to burst your bubble.

If you you honestly think the game is confusing… i’m sorry for your loss.

It tells you where everything is, what to do, etc. The only thing it doesn’t hand hold you on is your dps rotations, but they’re not hard to figure out.

Because the person above me already did. I’m a mentor and I run the main scenario roulette all the time, so… :woman_shrugging: That’s a pretty flimsy argument you have. Could just say that you didn’t enjoy the game and leave it at that.

1 Like

Nah, I played all of it.

It’s subpar even compared to BfA.

If you love immersive content, and only that, then FFXiv is for you

I love content in general, which XIV has in droves, and BfA fully lacks. Only thing wow has going for it atm is slightly better raids, but even that’s questionable.

And you hit 62, you didn’t “play all of it”

XIV is more immersive yes, but it also has better crafting, better class design, better gearing methods, better means to unlock flying, better optimization, etc etc.

If it had wow level raids I’d give up wow completely.

1 Like

WoW keybinding, UI, PvP, guild UI, is forever ahead of ffxiv sorry

WoW base UI is trash and immovable, you need addons to make it half way decent. And keybinding??? you can keybind the same as in wow.

Guild’s actually DO something in FF beyond just having a chat room and FF did “communities” years before blizzard did (you can have both guilds and linkshells)

I’ll give you PvP, but wow pvp is nothing to be amazed at either, compared to games that focus pvp, wow’s utter garbage.

5 Likes

A lot of people are talking about the social aspect being friendlier and better there. I think a lot of people here are on the wrong realms and in the wrong guilds.

Or maybe, just maybe, they are the wrong people.

The social/guild/community is only what you make it, it has nothing to do with the game itself.

Also, being able to use add ons is great, and encouraged it’s own community in a way seldom seen in other games.

IDK man, I’ve had a lot more negative random encounters in wow then I ever have in FF.

Ask a question in trade in wow and you’ll get nothing but snark, wrong answers, and people calling you stupid.

Ask it in any large forum on FF and you’ll generally get the answer.

Doing something like tanking for the first time in WoW will generally get you kicked from the group, tanking for the first time in FF will be met with at least a general it’s ok all the way to people explaining mechanics for you.

We can’t really do anything about wow’s community unfortunately, but it’s pretty bad.

And the addons thing is purely a taste factor. You don’t really need them in FF, but in wow… without UI addons that base UI would be a huge turnoff for a lot of people.

3 Likes

You miss my point. It starts with each of us as players. The problem is we tolerate the behaviour and encourage it by either not saying anything, or throwing them a “lol”.

That is enough to tell these kids it’s fine to be a jerk. Yeah we have cross realm and lfg but that still doesn’t mean we can’t do something about it.

Most players I’ve met so far since returning are actually nicer than I remember in wrath.

You’re on the right track that the players themselves play a big role in how a community shapes itself, though it should be noted that how the developers shape their game and what they choose to encourage and discourage with the systems it uses does provide some push in different directions.

Whether or not the community goes along with it, or pushes back against it, is up to the community itself. It’s hard to say which one has more weight in the long run, though in most cases it does feel like it is the community is the driving force.

The issues with WoW’s community right now run deep, and stem from two key issues:

• Ever since WoW’s early days, players were encouraged to essentially just ignore players with problematic behaviours instead of trying to keep them in line.
  • The driving aspect for WoW’s community is a competitive progression ladder, largely built upon the idea that the best gear in the game should go ONLY to the “best” players.

Between these two things, WoW’s community has become extremely cutthroat and self-centered. If it isn’t serving the purpose of advancing your character, then it’s pointless; people rarely help eachother out unless it’s to help themselves, and all relations are transactional.

While there certainly are nice players out there… they’ve come to the conclusion that the only people worth interacting with are their friends within their guilds, and going outside those groups for assistance is just asking for trouble (and sadly, they’re often right).

When people say people are nicer in FFXIV, they mean it.

Part of it stems from the game’s systems, which do encourage helping out new players; the newbie bonus (extra XP and tomestones for the whole party) whenever someone in the group hasn’t completed a piece of content is the easiest example.

And another part is the community itself, which seems determined to be friendly to other people (especially newbies) and helping them out; considering no small part of the community comprises of former WoW players wanting to escape the toxic behaviours this game has become known for, they feel compelled to lend a helping hand.

… they’re also a bit zealous when it comes to defending the game’s reputation for being nice, and will quickly crack down on people who are causing trouble. A select few people have noted FFXIV can be unwelcoming, but it’s usually because they’ve stirred up some trouble and were quickly outed instead of being tolerated like they were in WoW.

3 Likes

I’m about the most loyal WoW player that there is, but I finally took the plunge and downloaded FF14, mainly because they have the free trial (level all classes to 35) approach. I played for about an hour Sunday afternoon and completed 4-5 low level quests for Archer class (mostly go somewhere, meet someone ; no killing so far). It was confusing and I spent most of the hour or so looking for stuff and trying to figure out how to do things from a WoW perspective.

I may give it a few more looks, since I’m only playing this game 30-60 mins a day on 3-4 characters, but so far, I don’t see what the big fuss is.

The only thing that’s keeping me from trying out ESO is I don’t want to have to buy the base game ($9-10US or so) just to try the game out.

Anything in particular?

Nothing major, just doing newby quests in Archer starter area (the races are so weird, I couldn’t begin to tell you what race I chose).

I never got to any actual fighting/killing, just go here, take this to someone, go there, take that to another person. I got a level of experience just doing the newby stuff.

I was trying to figure out the stuff on the main map so I could know where I was being bread crumbed to, but it took a bit of getting used to. I’ll mess around with the game a bit more and see if I get the feel for it.

The starting quests seem aimed towards having you explore one of the 3 main cities that the starting classes come from. You will notice there is a big Blue Aetheryte crystal you can set yourself to like a Hearthstone with a Return spell. There are also small crystals scattered across the city that are meant to be teleport points. Once you earn all the teleports, it will allow you to use the crystals to teleport outside the city.

Another thing to know is I never see a gil penalty for dying. You only repair your armor from actually battling the enemies. You find a gear vendor to do the repairs just like in WoW or you can use Dark Matter to fix it yourself with crafting. Although when you die, you have to return to whatever big aetheryte crystal you set your home point to or the entrance of the dungeon.

3 Likes

I suggest focusing on Main Scenario Quests (quest icon has flame around them) and your class/job quests (in this case archer and later bard after level 30). The class/job quests and any quest that unlocks a certain feature would have blue icon with a plus sign instead of yellow. Your first class quest should’ve given you quest to kill some critters right outside the city. The regular side quests are there to help with experience in case you need to reach a particular level, although your hunting log (unlocked after doing your first class quest, I believe) would also suffice for lower level.

5 Likes

Giving antagonist(s) proper motivations for their actions is key to writing a compelling story; one that isn’t solely based around evil v. good, but centered more around ideology v. ideology / reason v. reason. If you want a one-sided villain that does nothing but be evil, don’t give them backstory and no true reason so to why they commit their crimes. But if you want a villain that is both interesting and evil at the same time, give them a backstory that betters explains why they came to their own conclusion and reasons instead of just making them evil and telling you at the end why they’re evil. That’s terrible writing.

Garrosh and Thrall are greatest examples of evil vs good respectively and how to write a villain/hero.