Moved over to FF14

Something WOW can definitely use. The Mentor system that is.
Basically this is how it can work.
A max level character can have 3 mentees in total. For every 5 or 10 level the newbie levels up, the mentor gets mentee coins Via mail and can use mentee coins to trade for endgame stuff, crafting matts and mounts etc. As for the mentees, they get Free newbie stuff. Upon reaching the max level, the mentees get Basic max level gears. Players will be fighting to get mentees as it means more mentee coins and the new players will have a lot of max level characters interested in them.

1 Like

It’s visually pretty but that’s about it. Feels slow and the story never grabbed me. The length of the story stuff you had to do before progressing was awful. I reached level cap as white mage during Heavensward(sp) and that’s about it.

2 Likes

Or…like in FFXIV you have a host of people using the mentor system to get the crown, and aren’t actually that helpful. They just want the prestige of the crown, and don’t care about the people being mentored. They do the bare minimum required to accomplish their goal, then move on.

1 Like

The game is a solid single player RPG, but wait until you get into savage raiding, the game becomes like a sorority, and every FC has passive aggressive drama

You’re also not allowed to talk about damage meters, but people break ToS with RMT constantly, the only thing you get banned for is calling out someone for auto attacking and not contributing, because that proves you’re using a third party meter

WoW for serious PVE/PVP, FFXIV for story, the game is essentially SWTOR, at least people play it, just really sensitive, and angsty weebs though

1 Like

Believe it or not, things were even more complicated a few years ago.

For example, If you wanted to advance your main class into the corresponding job, you needed to level a secondary class up to a certain level. And there were cross class skills you needed to level up a bunch of different jobs from anywhere between 10 and 50 to get.

As far as most eastern titles go, i’d say that FFXIV is the most western friendly, imo.

This is true, everyone’s either roleplaying a slice of life anime, or named characters from other games, or even the game itself. There’s very little structure.

That’s not complicated, it was a conscious decision to get people to play more and level things they didn’t want to play the game at max

It’s even less complicated because it’d tell you in big red letters what you needed to level whatever class for your job quests lol

Are you kidding me?

lol

MSQ is a movie that wants to be a video game.

The pacing is great if you want to watch a movie. Not so great if you want to play an MMO.

2 Likes

I have it installed, just the base game. I just don’t know if I can justify the $20/month (because I live in Canaduh). I am very stingy on my spending lol.

Personally I like ESO better for its freedom and customization, I don’t like the class restrictions in FF14, only 1 weapon per class, forced into 1 role, can’t be a dps as a Dark Knight…

Right now ESO is my favorite MMO until Classic WoW, and my sub is about to expire so I’ll be back then.

I could see how it’s boring in the earlier levels, but in my opinion there is a significantly higher skill ceiling when it comes to maxing dps.

I know alot of WoW players like to complain about the gcd changes, but FFXIV’s are longer at 2.5 seconds which makes every mistake that much more punishing. Compound that with the fact that classes have combo’s, positional bonuses, and tons of abilities to weave through a standard rotation it gets very engaging.

But yeah, I guess if it can’t keep you long enough to reach endgame then the complexity doesn’t matter anyways.

1 Like

I tried FF14, and there were definitely things I liked about it. It’s a beautiful game and the character customization options are head and shoulders above WoW. Seems to have a decent community too. Unfortunately, I really really dislike the cutscene heavy storytelling style and something about the way the different classes play just doesn’t hit the same spot that WoW does for me. I can’t explain it.

1 Like

Tried their trial or whatever. Spent like a hour running around their island city skipping tons of useless dialog boxes and doing simple fetch quests, only ability used was the sprint. Once I finally got outside the city the combat was just as bad. Big yikes and a hard pass for me

To be fair wow is a 10+ year old game, it was bound to show it’s cracks sooner or later

1 Like

Say what? WoW is like 99% Kill and Gather quests. FFXIV has alot more RP quests, there’s like half a dozen at least where you run around emoting at NPC’s

2 Likes

I just can’t handle the 2.5 second GCD. It’s too much for me and it really ruins the combat.

I know they made it that long so that all the little console players can have a chance to play the game too but if they had just refused to cater to the console crowd I really think ff14 could have given WoW a run for it’s money and it actually might have come out on top if it weren’t for that awful GCD.

If they went with a 1 or 1.5 GCD, everything would feel different. They would probably have to redesign a lot of the skills and combat features but think about it… What is the major downside every PC player has with ffxiv? The GCD. It feels waaaaaaaaay too slow and clunky for a PC gamer with a mouse and keyboard, especially if you are used to WoW with 25% or more haste.

1 Like

I played FF14 for little under three months and I found it to be a complete waste of time and energy.

The questing IS the same thing over and over again; Collect, talk, kill, or look at this object. Go here, go there, go here, go there. Unskippable cutscene here and there, NPC writing a book about how uninteresting this game’s world is, boss battle that forces you to scale down your level because that’s super fun right? Not being able to use half of your abilities because they can’t scale boss/mob levels for ‘climactic boss fight’.

The story is so uninteresting that I found myself skipping every single piece of dialog and cutscene because it made me want to die. NPC rant on and on about this and that while I just wanted to punch my way through to max level and raid. Then when I started to raid, it was… SO BORING. It felt more like LFR than anything. Even on the highest difficulties, it felt like a watered down LFR. If you want to know what awful world building and raiding looks like, look at FF14.

Everything just… happens for no reason and it makes you feel like, “Why am I even doing this? Do we really need these plants while there is a WORLD ENDING THREAT literally FIVE FEET IN FRONT OF ME?” No, you’re forced to give soup to soldiers because they’re… unable to walk five feet? They called me a hero, but I felt more like a slave doing random needless tasks that has nothing to do with the story at hand. Say what you will about World of Warcraft, but at least some of it’s quest make sense and fit the overall theme.

All the bosses/villains are one-sided, “I’m evil because I’m evil.” and have no depth to them. Say what you will about World of Warcraft, but at least most villains have their reasons for being evil. Sargeras wanted to destroy the everything to destroy the Void so it couldn’t corrupt everything or any one Titan. He had a reason for being evil. Garrosh wanted to claim Azeroth for the orcs and used very questionable methods to fulfill his goal. Arthas, the Lich King, gave everything to protect his home, but ended up corrupting himself in his thirst of vengeance. The end boss of FF14 xpac is… just evil to be evil. I couldn’t listen to them because it was SO UNINTERESTING AND BOOOORING. In FF14, people just be evil to be evil for no reason.

And the combat, uuughhh… The combat is like if World of Warcraft had a GCD that wanted you grow old and die before being able to use another ability. It’s so slow unsatisfying. When I hit something, I want to HIT it, not tickle it’s healthbar.

The community is… Well, uh. There is a community in that game? Really? After playing for over 300+ hours, I didn’t see any form of a community. I was a new player and I had to learn the game by myself, NO ONE wanted to help me. Why? Because there WAS NO ONE to help me. The “mentor” system is used by 0.1% of the playerbase.

In conclusion, FF14 sucks. Don’t play it or buy it. Goodbye and good riddance.

1 Like

Nice thread title, since you came to post that you moved to some generic eastern mmo final fantasy nonsense, I came with the same equal right to post that I really don’t care and that this thread is off topic to WoW.

Do you have to be a complete insufferable drone and advertising another game on a forum about a different game? Do you know how exactly sad it is that you can’t talk about this sort of thing anywhere else, so you log into your world of warcraft account to do so?

2 Likes

story wise ff14 is like a single player rpg. It is much more engaging and it doesn’t suffer from the problem of WoW where we are both a nobody that is insignificant in the lore while also being one of the most powerful heroes of azeroth.

Your character is directly a part of the story and the lore.

4 Likes

Say was you will about wow but at least it’s very first quest is basicly, ‘here’s a sword, uhhh go kill 10 of these things.’ It gives you a short and sweet VOICED intro cutscene telling you the who, what, when, where and why then blam right into the action.

In ff14 that whole starting scene on the boat, not voiced just a bunch of text boxes to skip though. I’d thought we’d finally get to repel the pirates that attacked the ship but no, it was all basicly just a cutscene

2 Likes

It’s a pretty good game, but pretty much a WoW clone. After their original game failed (FFXIV 1.0) they redesigned it as FFXIV: ARR and openly admitted to taking inspiration from WoW but I’d say they pretty much copy-pasted alot of the elements from the latter to the former. Not to say it isn’t a good game, because it is, but it’s basically WoW with a different coat of paint, except it is not alt-friendly because you can be every class one one character.
In fact, it is anti-alt (kind of one thing I don’t like about the game) because you have to redo all the main storylines if you want to make a new character and it gives you a exp bonus to other classes if you level them all on one character.
I do miss the tome system though where the game gives you tomes for completing content, so if you don’t get the drop you want you can eventually buy it with tomes if you run it enough.