Mount collection bug (reproducible)

I’m not sure when this started happening, exactly, because I skipped most of BfA and didn’t pay attention to my mount count for a while after, but I noticed the following behavior recently. Note that I initially noticed this behavior when learning another mount (that time the count jumped by 4) and was then able to reproduce it intentionally and take the needed screenshots.

My highest-mount character is my paladin, Glory-Suramar. I have been playing mainly another character, Smidge-Proudmoore. I’m familiar with the previous behavior of mounts not counting for achievements until you logged in on the highest-mount character, but it seems that now simply logging in doesn’t work. I finally discovered that what I had to do now was actually LEARN a new mount on my highest-mount character for the count to be updated. When this happens, it also counts the mounts that were not previously counted, incrementing the count by more than one.

The following sequence of screenshots shows this behavior and was taken before and after learning ONE new mount, the Depleted-Kyparium Rocket. Note that despite learning only one new mount, the count of the achievement No Stable Big Enough increased by 2. This is because prior to this, my mage earned an achivement-based mount, which did not count despite being usable on the paladin also (I even used it on the paladin to no effect).

I’m happy to provide any clarifications if needed. I’m confident enough in this behavior that I’m saving another crafted mount on Glory-Suramar so that I can learn it once my collection (that I will have to keep track of manually, unfortunately) reaches 349 and earn No Stable Big Enough.

Screenshot one: Achievement count is 333/350.

Imgur

Screenshot two: Total number of mounts on account is 381.

Imgur

After learning Depleted-Kyparium Rocket…

Screenshot three: Achievement count is 335/350.

Imgur

Screenshot four: Total number of mounts on account is 382.

Imgur

1 Like

unfortunately, it’s been behaving this way for over a year now.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to collect more mounts and just ran into this issue, as well. I only needed one more to reach 200, but when I learned one, ended up with 203 after learning one on the Paladin. Have been learning others on alts with no increase. I’m trying to come up with a strategy for how to incrementally learn mounts on certain characters and it’s definitely frustrating you can no longer just log in on that main one to fix the count. I also saw a thread on one of the other forums that mentioned something about the amount of mounts useable by that character was removed from the statistics tab which makes it even more confusing. The wowhead tracker is not as accurate or helpful.

1 Like

Bumping because this is definitely an issue. I submitted a bug report as well. Logged into all my toons, they all say 163/200 but I’ve learned at least 2 mounts recently (one today) and the counter did not increase. I never had an issue before the last two mounts were collected. Really frustrating that there’s no progress made and that the # of mounts owned was removed from Statistics, too.

2 Likes

Reading through the old thread, this comment made me laugh.

1 Like

“You will receive notifications because you created this topic.”

Guess what else is broken? Had no idea I had any replies.

Thanks for the pointer to the old thread. I hadn’t found it nor did I see any mention of it on the Wowhead page for No Stable Big Enough, which is what I’m working towards. I had gotten the same old “log in on character with highest count to fix” standard reply that said to file a bug if I found it didn’t work, and so I did, with screenshots. Maybe it’ll get fixed one day, but I’m not counting on it being anytime soon. I have two mounts in my pally’s inventory that I can learn to trigger a refresh, it’s just absolutely maddening to think that I’m going to have to keep a list and learn one at 350 and another at 400 if I really want to get there.

Thanks for the replies!

1 Like

Frankly, I’ve always found the number displayed on the mount journal never matched the number displayed in the achievement, and in one way does make sense as faction mount parallels will not count as 2 for the achievement, but 2 for the journal.

1 Like

Oh, absolutely. I was just using the journal to show, in this case, that while the journal count only increased by 1, the achievement count increased by 2. It is absolutely possible for the opposite to happen–for the journal count to increase and for the achievement count to (legitimately) not increase because the new mount isn’t usable by the highest-count character for whatever reason (class, faction, etc).