Mortal Rush and Fodder to the Flame

your opinion about those new DH spells ?

i don’t understand mortal rush " until cancelled" thing btw…

Fodder I don’t see as having good application. “Here let me duel to the death a mob while raid abilities are going off” is how I currently picture it. Its also on a 3 minute cd. Overall I feel disappointed by it.

Mortal rush is an attempt it looks like to get momentum as top pvp build. That said who knows how much absorb heal it actually causes. Also the “until canceled” is likely a typo in the Alpha and they just forgot to remove it in the string.

1 Like

It’s not an absorb like uh dk. Its ms like arms warriors.
Your Fel Rush afflicts targets it deals damage to with Mortal Wound, reducing the effectiveness of healing on the target for until cancelled.
Now a Havoc spell

So it most likely would be the same as arms and wound poison.
Also the new dh ability that summons someone to fight… how the hell would that work in any pve or pvp situation?

2 Likes

Ahh right I misinterpreted that, I had necrotic strike on mind. And yeah thats part of the issue I see with that covenant, it makes so no sense to do that in the middle of a dungeon or pvp.

1 Like

“for until cancelled” is what happens when a spell does not yet have a duration entry in the spell database. When you see that, it means the spell or effect is intended to have a duration, but that duration has not yet been assigned.

The wording is reducing the effectiveness of healing on the target, not absorbing healing done to the target. It’s a Mortal Strike effect, not a Necrotic Strike effect. Most likely, it’ll be the same 25% reduction as other mortal strike effects.

I’m quite curious at how this Fodder to the Flame is going to play out. I don’t think it’s going to be superior than The Hunt or Sinful Brand, but it sounds interesting.

I do have some questions though: are we going to go to another dimension like Subtlety’s duel? If so, can we cheese mechanics with it or temporarily escape other players in PvP? Or do we just summon a demon only we can see like Thing From Beyond? How strong is the demon?

1 Like

Honestly sounds like 3 wrong choices rather than one good one.

Can’t be that strong, it’s only 60s off Meta’s CD. If it takes more than a couple globals to down, that’s definitely a net loss of DPS.

To be honest, even if this just passively reduced Meta’s CD by 60s, I doubt it could compete with the others.

1 Like

I agree. On a 3min cooldown, I think it’s going to be a major flop of a covenant ability as it stands.

So we only have Night Fae and Revendreth as viable competitive abilities, it seems. At least for now.

I must say though that I’m actually excited to see Cleansed by Flame being used as Havoc in PvP.

Frankly, Sinful Brand blows The Hunt out of the water. It’s not even a contest. I hope it gets tuned down.

Assuming it does, Elysian Decree is actually reasonable. 120% AP per minute is actually more than The Hunt grants, and the 3 soul fragments is 6s off an Eye Beam and 90 fury per minute. Excepting cases where The Hunt gives us substantially higher uptime, I suspect Elysian Decree will actually beat it pretty handily. That’s especially the case given that it hits all targets in the sigil, which can be a ton of damage and a ton of soul fragments. It might even compete with Sinful Brand in AoE-heavy content.

The other thing to keep in mind is the damage we’re looking at here. 120% AP is only ~15k damage at our current gear level, which is about 250 DPS against a single target. For comparison, Eye Beam does 150% to all targets, and 225% to its primary target, and that’s before mastery and without Blind Fury. Chaos Strike does ~75% AP at 20% mastery.

Sinful Brand’s 400% once per minute plus once per 4 minutes would be around a 50k hit, and around 1000 DPS at current gear levels. That’s at least a bit more respectable, but still would only be 1-2% of our total damage output.

Personally, Sinful Brand is the only one that feels even halfway reasonably tuned at the moment, and it’s even still pretty pitiful.

But I guess it’s better than rental power doing 45% of our total damage…

2 Likes

Oh no, nono. I was thinking Sinful Brand for PvE and The Hunt for PvP, I just forgot to mention it.

Sinful Brand is looking to do some crazy numbers on burst, I agree. But it’s quite pitiful when you think about sustained damage.

As sadly as it is, I agree.

1 Like

can someone link where you saw these abilities?

1 Like

Oh, one of the comments suggested an alternative interpretation of the tooltip. You use it at some period (like once per hour, or once per day) and it reduces the CD of Meta by 60s for that entire duration. So essentially passive, but with the active have-to-defeat-the-demon part. Probably took inspiration from the daily demon arena in our Order Hall.

where is the mortal rush ability at?

wow thats gonna be broken lol

Ya, probably. I mean, Fel Rush isn’t exactly used for damage, even with Momentum, so tying the Mortal Strike debuff to it isn’t nearly as automatic an application as the hunter pet, or Arms’ Mortal Strike, or a rogue’s Wound Poison (which all rogues get in SL, though it’s only 15% instead of 25% for Outlaw and Sub). That said, as pointed out in another thread, it combined with Mana Rift and Mana Break is probably too much healing pressure for one class.

So Food to the Flame was changed again and now I’m more puzzled.
(Fodder I know, I prefer food!)

Commission a duel to the death against a Condemned Demon from the Theater of Pain. Defeating the demon and consuming its Empowered Soul Fragment causes you to enter Demon Form for 15 sec.
Fleshcraft treats the Condemned Demon as a powerful enemy.

So now we just get extra time in Meta form? Like an additional but worse version of demonic? Because that sounds even more disappointing and shows a lack of creativity.

Ya, and it still has the issue of if the demon takes more than literally a global or two to kill, it’s going to be a DPS loss over not using it at all. Maybe even if it takes a global.

So how about this concept instead. It would add a really interesting mechanic that has potential to bite you if you use it at the wrong time, but also the potential to let you avoid things if it’s used at the right time.

Fodder to the Flame
Instant - 10m cooldown
Your inner demon erupts, abducting you to an alternate phase of reality for a fight to the death. While fighting your inner demon, you cannot affect or be affected by anything outside of the phase. Defeating your inner demon and re-absorbing its soul phases you back into reality, dealing 150% of your inner demon’s maximum HP over 10s split between all targets nearby, healing you for 10% (30% for Veng) of the damage dealt, and increasing your fury generation by 30% for 30s. If you fail to defeat your inner demon within 30 seconds, it severs your soul, instantly killing you.

The basic idea is that it phases you out with everything else, you can see everything still, but transparent, and nothing can affect you and you can’t affect anything. This means you can’t be healed by the group, you show up as out-of-range on their raid frames (so healers don’t get pissed off), and you can’t attack anything, but you also cannot be affected by raid mechanics. However, this isn’t an immunity like cloak, you cannot interact with most raid mechanics at all, so something that needs soaked does not count you as soaking it, and something that is supposed to hit you (ex. mana orbs on Maut) will pass right through you. Certain effects that are necessary for the fight would bypass it, however (ex. the monologue stun on King Mechagon, the debuff from the illusions phase on Prophet, death from staying downstairs too long on N’Zoth, etc.)

The demon you fight would be reasonably tough (HP scales with yours) and take maybe 10-15s to defeat (for both specs, the tank version will have less HP, since the damage is less important for them). Since it deals all damage you dealt to it (magnified, even) as a DoT when you leave, it doesn’t really matter how long it takes to kill it, since it’s not lost DPS (it in-fact effectively amplifies your DPS for the duration). The 30s time limit prevents it from being used as an indefinite immunity.

It also has drawbacks. Since you don’t count as being “in” anything for mechanics, you can’t soak stuff or otherwise interact with fight mechanics for the duration, even beneficial ones (like the Ichors on Drest). Since the demon AoEs where it dies, you need to keep track of boss position (and timing, if the boss becomes invulnerable or teleports around, like Prophet). Also, you lose threat on anything that is attacking you and you can’t generate new threat, so using it as a tank would take some planning (but the powerful heal and AoE would argue for it in some cases. Pop it, DPS your demon a bit, then drag it into a pack and kill it for burst threat and healing. In raids, you could use it during taunt swaps, when you’re not actively tanking).

If used intelligently, it has a lot of potential to let you combine it as a DPS cooldown and a damage immunity cooldown. However, if used poorly, it can easily bite you, by making you miss needed raid mechanics,

No idea how to balance it in PvP, though. Probably have to make it so in PvP, instead of complete immunity, it’s a reduced damage input effect (like say, while phased, you take 50% reduced damage from other players).

Anyway, may have too many issues or something, but I feel like it would be a more thematic and fun version of the ability, so just sorta spitballing it.

Edit: Actually, in retrospect, they could use a similar mechanic without the phasing to make the current version decent. It spawns a demon that only you can attack or affect, and when it dies, it deals it’s health in damage split between nearby targets, possibly with amplification. Then the HP explosion amplification and the secondary effect (currently, free Meta) can be used to tune the DPS benefit, without the potential issues of phasing (though I love the possibilities of that mechanic).