Moon Guard vs Wyrmrest Accord for Alliance RP?

Let me preface this by saying that my main RP character on Alliance side has been on-and-off active on Wyrmrest Accord since Wrath. I’ve also made a couple RP-focused characters on Moon Guard, primarily to dip my toes into the community and get a feel for the overall atmosphere there. However, after this, I’m still unsure about which is truly better for an overall engaging Alliance RP experience. I do plan to transfer over 3 characters from WRA to MG if I come to the conclusion that MG is the better option, but I want to make sure I’m not suffering from ‘grass is greener on the other side’ syndrome before I make the final call.

Here’s a couple of my opinions on the two realms, and points in their favor as well as against that I’m trying to work through, and I’d love to have a second opinion from folks who have more experience than I. It’s quite possible these opinions and observations might be a bit mistaken, so correct me if I come to the wrong conclusion about any of them.

WYRMREST ACCORD
Pros:

• Overall, the quality of roleplaying is a bit more sophisticated. There are less trolls seeking to disrupt RP, and if there are inexperienced RPers trying to engage with the community, they are usually the type who are eager to learn and not afraid to admit to their mistakes. Likewise, those with experience are not afraid to lend a helping hand to those who are still learning, and every effort seems to be given by many folks here to improve an individual’s opportunity for learning and developing their character(s).
  • Toxicity and hostility between members of the community here is, at least on the surface, a very rare sight. Most folks here are very friendly towards one another, and the vast majority of serious RPers are more than happy to do what they can to make you feel welcome on the server. You’ll never have a shortage of potential friends to make, and as already stated above, many folks here are happy to mentor you as you begin your journey through WRA and the RP community here.

Neutrals:

• The server’s general consensus on the interpretation of established lore is very much on the conservative side, with very little wiggle-room to explore more creative ideas due to the fact that it may or may not sit in a sort of ‘gray-area’ in regards to its compatibility with established canon. I believe that this stems from the general Anti-Moon Guard mentality among many people on WRA, and while it is a good idea to distance oneself from certain aspects of Moon Guard, taking this too far can lead to a stifling of creativity and unique ideas to a certain degree.
  • If you use TRP3 or any other similar RP profile add-ons, you’ll likely see a large amount of folks walking around with some variations and mixtures of “LGBTQ+ Friendly”, “Black Lives Matter”, “Trans Rights”, and other such messages included in their OOC information. I believe that this by itself is certainly not a bad thing, as every community should strive to be open and friendly to anyone of good conscience who expresses a genuine interest in becoming part of the community, regardless of gender, ethnicity, orientation, and so on. However, through personal experience, I have found that there is a sizeable minority of folks with these kinds of messages in their OOC info who are either A: Being insincere and simply ‘virtue signaling’ to the public, while actually spouting transphobic/homophobic/racist/sexist rhetoric in private, or B: Being a bit /too/ sincere, in the sense that they may begin to harass and attack anyone who shows even the slightest of differing opinions to their views. This is very much a case-by-case basis, but I figured I’d bring it up regardless, since it can be interpreted as a pro or a con depending on your perspective.

Cons:

• Public Walk-up RP is a bit on the scarce side, with hotspots such as the Cathedral district, Blue Recluse, Pig 'n Whistle, and other such prominent RP areas seeing anywhere between 5-10 people each on busy days. More focus seems to be given towards guild-based RP. If you want the best RP experience, you’ll probably have to join a guild to find it and participate in it, but quite a few of the active and dedicated RP guilds have a long application process, and even after that, opportunities to participate in guild events in any noticeable way can be few and far between.
  • A cliquey and elitist mentality seems to be present in quite a few guilds, and it appears to be the most common among noble/house guilds, but it’s not unheard of in other types of RP guilds. This can also lead to some inter-guild rivalries and conflicts of interest between cliques, which may develop into a potent source of drama, one that may not be so apparent from the outside, but is very much apparent when you’re part of the in crowd. Because of the cliquishness, coupled with the rivalries and competitive behavior between guilds, large-scale server-wide events are also rather uncommon.

MOON GUARD
Pros:

• Public Walk-Up RP is /the/ reigning form of RP on Moon Guard. On most days, player turnout at the usual hotspots tends to stay steady at around 20-30, and can sharply increase during the busiest of times. The characters and groups you are likely to encounter are very diverse, and if you’re curious about trying a new form of RP, chances are there are a number of other folks on Moon Guard who are doing the very same type, and they’d be happy to have you along for the ride.
  • While cliques and elitism are still present on Moon Guard, as no RP realm is truly devoid of such issues (let’s be honest, drama and cliques are as much a part of RP as fish piss is a part of the ocean), they are not as much of an issue for Moon Guard as they are on Wyrmrest Accord. More emphasis is seemingly put on the community of Moon Guard as a whole, rather than a collection of guilds and smaller sub-communities sharing the same server. As such, server-wide events are more common, with the largest such events having potentially hundreds of players turning up to participate. This kind of thing is not impossible on WRA, but it definitely does not happen as frequently as on MG.

Neutrals:

• Interpretation of lore is a lot more fast and loose here than on WRA, allowing for more opportunities to explore more creative avenues of RP. This level of creative freedom has also led to efforts by the leading figures of the community to establish a sort of ‘server lore’ that a large majority of the community tends to abide by. Learning about this server lore has been interesting and alluring to me, and while there might be some smaller aspects of it I personally disagree with, there’s tons more that I consider to be very clever and innovative. Of course, this can lead to a lot of debates about the validity of such lore, and with creative freedom comes a fairly sizeable amount of players who may take that freedom too far.

Cons:

• Compared to WRA, roleplaying quality overall is not quite as refined or sophisticated. You are very likely to find at least one Mary Sue or canon-breaker on your travels, and for more seasoned RPers this can be a bit jarring. Trolls are something that is nearly unavoidable if you spend a lot of time on MG, and while most of these offenders tend to stay in Goldshire, they sometimes leak into Stormwind simply due to the close proximity. If you stay out of Goldshire, you’re a lot less likely to encounter these types of people, but that doesn’t mean you’ll be completely safe from them.
  • The unfortunate situation as I see it is that the community of Moon Guard does seem to have a larger amount of toxic and hostile folks in it when compared to WRA. This isn’t to say that the community overall is unwelcoming and toxic by default, far from it, the vast majority of serious RPers on MG that I’ve interacted with seem to be very much likeable and respectable people, but WRA does have them beat in terms of how inviting the community truly is from the outside. I believe this perception is primarily the result of all those horror stories coming out of Goldshire, which paints a bad image for the server as a whole, but even venturing out of Goldshire and interacting with people in Stormwind, there is a very slight amount credence behind this perception from what I’ve encountered.

There’s my observations. I may have missed a few things, and again, I’d love to hear the opinions of others regarding the differences between MG and WRA, as well as their suggestions on how to make my RP experience on either server a much better one.

5 Likes

Do not forget to factor in timezones. I have roleplayed on Wyrmrest, and while I agree with alot of your observations, I ultimately decided to transfer to Moonguard because the west coast schedule that Wyrmrest has did not always make things easy for me. :slight_smile:

There are times where I miss Wyrmrest because I agree that the overall quality of roleplay there is higher. But seasoned roleplayers can still make due on Moonguard, as there are some pretty decent guilds out there. Plus, I have met some good people on Moonguard.

4 Likes

i think you basically have each server nailed. There’s not a lot else that I can give you in terms of additional data, but I do have some thoughts.

I’ve mained WrA Alliance for years. In general, I typically don’t have too much problem finding some RP in Stormwind. Some nights, the pickings are pretty slim, but… Most nights, I can find something! I’ve also taken plenty of liberties with the lore, and seen other people do it, and I’ve very, very rarely seen anyone get any flack. I’ve never personally gotten flack for playing lore-loose characters.

I guess, really, it’s just your weighing quality versus quantity. Do you value a higher chance of, for lack of a better word, better RP more (WrA)? Or do you value ease of finding RP more (MG)? Maybe wait on the server transfer for when Shadowlands goes live? See how each serve changes?

2 Likes

I almost forgot about timezones! I’ll consider that a personal pro for Moon Guard then, since I’m an East Coaster and their time is a bit more convenient for me.

Sound advice. For me personally, I like the walk-up atmosphere, and I adore being able to explore public roleplay with the kind of ease that Moon Guard seems to offer. Truth be told, I find staying tied to a guild to be a bit restricting, at least from my previous experiences. It’s more fun for me to just bump around and see what I find in the wild. Of course, I know this comes with certain risks that I already mentioned before.

Also, the other thing that has me hesitant right now is that I’ve heard about some rather persistent trolls on Moon Guard who have been mass-reporting any RPers they see, which has been disrupting public RP pretty severely, or so I’ve been told. I’m holding out hope that this is just an isolated incident that will pass given time really, but it does seem to lend credence to the idea of trolls being more of a problem on Moon Guard than WRA.

You could always try Emerald Dream. The only relevant complaint we get is it’s very guild and event focused. I actually prefer this as personally I find walk up RPs can get stale and directionless pretty quickly. Having some story or just a /roll 20 card-game to keep things focused tends to help.

I’m a Horde player but I get along pretty well with most of the Blueside GMs. They have a fair variety of options from Faith Militant Crusaders to Pirate Crew to Humamitarian Peacekeepers to Cutthroat Mercenaries.

Horde side has similar variety. Hell a smaller one is just a salt mining company. I actually love that there’s just a mundane option like that.

The problem I’ve seen with MG vs WR is that on MG that whole “unofficial ERP capital of the game” has almost ruined RP. So much so, in fact, that almost every walk up RP situation I’ve had over there is basically a “grooming” session. They’re dipping their toe in to see how receptive you are to it, even if you plainly state on TRP that ERP is a no go. As a result of that, the people that don’t ERP 24 hrs a day on that server avoid walk up RP situations because it’s almost always a setup.

I love MG and play both factions there. But, I greatly prefer WR for RP.

2 Likes

Although I still have a few characters on MG and WRA, I have a lot more fun on my now considered “home” server, Cenarion Circle/Sisters of Elune. I agree with your assessment of both the major rp realms.

I also raised a NE rogue to 110 on ED, and I liked it, except quite a few of my friends abandoned the server when it appeared there was not much rp without pvp. It’s fine for those who enjoy the more immersive feeling of not knowing if you are going to be attacked at any moment. I prefer not to have that kind of stress.

Now we have two additional servers added to our ranks, the marvellous people of Blackwater Raiders and Shadow Council. Although not many of them were in the game for rp, I was pleasantly surprised with the number we did find and add to our community of friends.

The combined servers are still on the small side, and walk up rp is hard to find. But we do lots of events, nearly every day of the week. I find the people to be friendly and creative. Also very welcoming to new people to the server, with free bags offered to those who create an alt to check things out.

Currently, the Alliance seems to be a bit more active, but the Horde side has events and is trying to change that with active recruiting. Most of the community has alts on both sides and often in each others guilds.

Come check us out!! https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/cenarion-circle-and-sisters-of-elune/124

1 Like

I can tell you put some serious thought into this and I respect the effort you put into comparing and contrasting the two servers.

1 Like