Monks are hard to heal?

I really don’t like healing Brewmasters because it is harder to keep them topped off and it honestly feels like they have no mitigation to speak of. At least at low level, I am burning through my mana to keep them alive. Does this change at higher level?

1 Like

Yeah low levels are really awful for balance and some specs dont get fundamental aspects of their kit until relatively later.

3 Likes

Low level Brewmasters often neglect their ironskin brews because they read it and don’t understand how important stagger is at reducing damage taken to easily healed levels. I’ve had several BrM believe that since the damage is taken anyway, there’s no reason to use ISB for anything other than a last resort tank CD. Not the 100% uptime necessity it actually is.

Start watching their ISB uptimes, BrM should be one of the sturdiest low level tanks by a wide margin.

2 Likes

Till they get their mastery, BrM is awful to heal

1 Like

This gets MUCH better at higher level (and higher skilled BM Monks). Max level they are 2nd easiest to heal only to BDK. So don’t worry, itll get better!!

2 Likes

I see BM Monk as highly skill dependent: the good ones are great, the not so good ones are terrible.

Ok here is the skinny… I leveled a BrM and I would drop group if I had a Shaman healer. They are the only class that just synergizes at low level extremely poorly with a Brew tank. Once you hit the upper 70s though they get easier

1 Like

Can confirm, at lower levels I felt amazingly squishy compared to other tanks. But now in heroic raids, I’m our healers’ best friend.

The mechanics of ISB are really simple, but you get very little instruction on using it just from leveling and have to be proactive to learn your spec. This results in healers falling behind and getting panicky.

One of the best cds you have to help heal a brewmaster is the earthen wall totem. I had a decent monk at launch (Yeah… isn’t low level) but, Earthen wall totem can be used to nullify stagger damage. So for X seconds (time may vary depends on how long the totem lasts) you can almost remove stagger on a brewmaster, which is insane in itself.

I almost prefer to heal a brewmaster over a death knight with that synergy…

1 Like

I can’t speak for low level Brewmasters, but I find healing them at higher levels much easier than most other tanks. Whether it’s a raid or M+ scenario.

They are awful, even at high levels. Being a 13 year raid healer on druids and priests, and shaman, I was skeptical about “monk tanks”, and now I see why I was right to be. Was just in Dire Maul, and I have never had such a horrible time keeping a “tank” (loosely in this case) alive, and the rest of the party for that matter. Most (99%) of monks can’t hold aggro, two hits drains half their hit points, mitigation sucks. I know…mobility, blah blah blah. Doesn’t mean jack if only 2 out of the 6 mobs are held.

If you’re not a bear or don’t wear plate, please don’t even entertain the idea of tanking. Stick to deeps.

well no… they’re actually the strongest progression tank due to their unique mitigation. Their damage intake is less spiked than anyone else due to stagger. Their aggro is also totally fine using just keg smash but if you take rushing jade wind it’s never an issue. If you’re having trouble with brewmasters at low level see above for answers about that but at max level you’re probably just encountering bad brewmasters.

(I’m a brewmaster main shaman alt btw)

…what?

Bears are literally one of the worst tanks in the game right now. Monks are literally one of the best.

That being said, bears can still be used for m+ and mythic raiding. But they still need help.

Oooh an old thread. Gonna post anyway. So here’s the skinny. Brewmasters are fantastic tanks, after they get their kit. But there’s very little in the way of actual in-depth tutorial for their abilities. Which is bullpoo, because they are very cooldown dependent. Stone Skin Brew, and others like that should almost always be on cooldown. But the fact of the matter, because all the other tanks play differently to BM’s, people just assume it’s the same. This results in a glut, I would say 68% of the BM tanks, not knowing wtf they’re doing. At all. As a Paladin/Priest/Druid healer, I just hate them. I hate them with the fury of 10,000 suns and would love for the class to be pruned out of the game… UNLESS I meet one, which happens every rainy day or so, that knows what they’re doing. Then I don’t need to baby sit them, and can focus on more important things. Like group healing, because DPS is a bunch of waterheaded underpants hat wearing idiots pulling adds left right and center. No but seriously. BM sucks unless the person understands the class, then they’re kings among men (Which I again point out is rare. And don’t pretend it isn’t). And DPS, stop pulling for the tank, let them pull at their speed unless they request it.