Mojave 10.14.X and WoW Issues

Hi Drakuloth, OP here - any progress on the original issue of this thread? I am still getting freezing and random crashing at which I send the report to Blizzard - havent heard anything back or had any changes to the game via updates to rectify.
Not sure if the flickering textures are a connected issue but hoping the random crash fix helps.
Cheers!

Hey, Zhatan! Checking the crashes sent to us, it looks like the system is still registering as 10.14.3 on the April 24th report and tied to the 10.14.3 driver bug that should have been fixed with the 10.14.4 update. Would you be able to send us SPX files to techinfo@blizzard.com under the subject: WoW Mac 10.14.4 - Zhatan? It will help us check deeper into the system logs for why it’s been crashing.

The techinfo@blizzard.com inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Technical Support to assist in troubleshooting.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Strange video artifacts in 8.1.5

Okay… totally taking back what I said below. After about six hours of gameplay and tweaking back to low level textures, still have texture problems. Upgrading to 10.14.5 did NOT resolve the problems. Just seems to have lowered the rate of old problems and introduced a couple more.

• had situation where textures in local area were completely wrong set (only seen that once so far)
  • while using high textures, was have like 1-3 seconds of screen just freaking out then go back to normal…seemed to occur like every couple minutes once it would start up

Issue resolved for me after upgrading to 10.14.5 (plus had CUDA Driver 418.163). Note: after restarting the game, ground clutter still messed up, like its being outlined

Zero restarts, graphical texture errors nor any ground clutter problems. Threw textures to max and ground clutter to 10. Note, downloading and installing 10.14.5 took over an hour on my 2013 iMac (with Nvidia gtx780m). Install seemed to complain about CUDA drivers but I am not changing anything for a while since everything working good atm. Additional note, some reason my newer iMacbook didn’t have an update available and is still at 10.14.4. Though my iMacbook never had any problems during this.

Upgraded to 10.4.5. Still have graphics issues which make the game unplayable.

10.14.5 here as well. Also still having issues. The graphical issues no longer resolve themselves and require me to force quit WoW and relaunch. I should also note something of interest. Since the new patch, WoW now runs using 100% of my processing power per Activity Monitor (previously it would use about 30%). This not exactly a weak processor or video card so this change it rather weird (Mojave 10.14.5. iMac 27", Late 2012, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB.)

Also, any update you all can provide would be helpful. We’re going on almost 3 months with no fix. It impacts my M+ runs, my raids- literally every aspect of gameplay. It can strike at any time.

2 Likes

Try using /console gxrestart when the graphical problem occurs that locks up the screen (you will have to type it in blind, or setup a keybound macro).

So after three months of this, is the only “solution” to wipe the hard drive and downgrade to 10.12 or 10.13? Nvidia doesn’t seem bothered, and neither apparently does Apple, and I’m not seeing anything new from Blizzard. Has anyone yet had success downgrading?
EDIT: above, Katnificient appears to have the same problems with their Mac on 10.12, so I guess we’re just screwed and it’s time to unsubscribe from WoW?

nVidia has working drivers. They can’t publish them because those drivers require Apple’s signing them or else they don’t pass library validation, which more and more apps are using these days. Without Apple signing the drivers, nVidia’s blocked from releasing them. They’ve been ready for some time now.

BTW, did you know that nvidia slipped up with last cuda released, and actually included library support for the unreleased driver in cuda.

that drivers version is 418.15.10_

That’s pretty substancial. it isn’t just newer than what we have, it’s a major bump to what they call the “hardware class” number of driver. it basically means this driver probably supports RTX too.

I’m still hoping we’ll hear something for good news from WWDC when they announce the module mac pro and HOPEFULLY unveil it’ll support RTX graphics from nvidia as well. But maybe I’m too hopeful. But fact a 418.15.10_ driver exists SOMEWHERE

1 Like

Rumors about what might be done or what might (or might not) fix the problem don’t do anything for me, honestly. It does nothing for me, or anyone else with this huge problem, to let another month tick by just hoping and waiting that something might eventually happen. I might eventually win the lottery, but I can’t bank on that. I was going to try downgrading to 10.13, but from what others have said, even that didn’t help. I’m fine with trying things on my end, but if it ultimately boils down to waiting for Apple or Nvidia or whomever to implement a fix and they’re standing still on whatever that might be… well, I don’t want to keep paying for a game that is so gimped that I can’t play it.

1 Like

If willing to do some testing. Fire up 8.2 PTR with todays ptr build. Blizzard is testing a far more aggressive work around to nvdia driver bug. If successful, it should completely eliminate the problems that stem from that issue going forward. Of course it’ll also give apple/nvidia an out once again to ignore issue, like they did when blizzards 8.0 work around worked from 8.0 to 8.1.5.

But blizzard would rather that, then leave you at mercy of those two companies resolving their spat in a timely manor.

EDIT, nevermind, PTR is non functional, doesn’t even open. Maybe the work around was a little too aggressive :smiley:

I literally CAN’T BELIEVE this still isn’t resolved. is it just my frustration, or does it seem to be getting worse with time?

No, it is getting worse… or maybe it is my frustration as well. Frankly, my takeaway after 3 months is Blizzard has no intention of fixing it themselves. (yes, yes… I know it is NVIDIA/Apple’s fault… except nope - it isn’t because WoW worked prior to 8.1.5 on the same OS/driver levels)

Blizzard could just roll back to whatever APIs they were using prior to 8.1.5, but they won’t because it is ‘too painful’. Instead it is evidently ‘better’ to have a partially functioning game on the Mac.

2 Likes

This has some major implications being slipped this early, assuming it’s a real slip. Next Monday might be very interesting indeed.

Any word blue friends? We won’t bite. We promise.

I had to downgrade from 10.14.4 to 10.14.3 just to get it working again and havent been game enough to download the 10.14.5 incase this also causes issues - and by reading the last several posts, 10.14.5 is the same.

Fingers crossed (legs uncrossed) it gets fixed soon.

10.14.3 would have just as many as 10.14.4 and 10.14.5 if it got better it’s just RNG, as the nvidia issue can have some good days, and some bad days.

I just wanted to poke my head back in here to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about this, but as it appears to be out of our hands, we don’t have much to share in this regard.

You’ll likely need to wait until the correct driver is released for your operating system or partition your hard drive to have a separate Mac OS installation with a supported build of Mac OS released before Mojave. I’ve updated the thread title to indicate that this issue occurs regardless of Mojave build.