Mojave 10.14.X and WoW Issues

Hi Mac Support,

I have downloaded and installed Mojave 10.14.4, the OSX update which became available today from Apple.

While playing WoW, the game freezes, almost like extended lag for up to 1 minute, at which time everything will either resume back to normal (if I am lucky) or I have to try to Force Quit, although Attempting to use Force Quit via Option/Command/Esc doesn’t work and I have to hold down the power button to get my mac to respond/restart.

I have completed extensive testing including my internet (56.4 Mbps download, 6.56 Mbps upload) latency, 25ms World 26ms home and all other system updates.

The only programs running have been WoW and Discord, so have checked Discord, updated it and tested the game both with and without Discord running and the issue still occurs.

I have disabled all add-ons. Still not working.

It is completely strange to have been working fine and the only difference between today and yesterday is Mojave 10.14.4. While I know Blizzard has no control over Apple, I am posting this to see if anyone else is experiencing any issues since updating their Mac to Mojave 10.14.4.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I have the same issues. I also have graphic issues, but all of these were there in 10.14.3 also. It all started with WOW update 8.1.5. NO issues before the wow update. There are other with the same issue, look on other threads. No fixes other than they say it’s a driver issue for Nvidia. I would think that driver would have been fixed in 10.14.4, but it’s not. Please fix this issue, Blizz!!! It wasn’t there before the update. :frowning:

1 Like

Getting some tracking up on this right now. Based on the description the computer stops responding as well? Or is it just the game that locks up? Have we done a complete UI reset or just disabled the addons? Can y’all post what GPU y’all are using? If you are both on Nvidia, it looks like the previous web drivers aren’t compatible with 10.14.4 which may be part of the issue.

1 Like

I thought my understanding from another thread was that there are no web drivers for Mojave - just Sierra / High Sierra. Was I incorrect? I’m currently preparing for update to 10.14.4. from 10.14.3.

The UI reset is just the game reset from the battlenet launcher right?

Hi Zhatan, I’m experiencing the same issues. Just a quick question, are you experiencing this in other games or just in WoW?

Hi Zhyxen, Thanks for the reply.
I have reset the game and my system to see what could cause the issue. I don’t have any problems playing other games and normal use of the Mac is ok (Browsing, iTunes, Photos etc)
I did have some delays with getting Time Machine to work but that’s running ok now.
I both disabled adding and reset.
I have NVIDIA GTX 775M - will check for updated drivers and even try going back to 10.14.3
Thank you for your help.

@Jebusjones

Its only in WoW. All other games and system processes are fine =)

UPDATE: So, I have decided to roll back to 10.14.3 as I have raid tonight and cannot afford the risk. Will see how this goes and report back tonight.

(I was fortunate enough to use Time Machine and could roll back to the previous release of OSX without too much trouble, this took 5 hours to complete - anyone who wants to roll back should be aware of this and to ensure they use time machine to do so.)

UPDATE: So, rolling back to 10.14.3 and WoW works perfectly. Just completed Opulence heroic and not an issue at all.

1 Like

Eklecras,

I updated the blue post to include a link to the Reset UI instructions for Mac.

Zhatan,

I’m not seeing any other reports of this, but then again the OS is very new so it’s possible we haven’t seen them yet. From what I can tell the new OS version 10.14.4 has some updated Nvidia drivers that should resolve several different bugs. Though it’s possible new ones are surfacing.

I’ll leave the tracking opened for this. If any new users upgrade to 10.14.4 and have this same problem please post the details here so we can add it to our tracking.

1 Like

I bought the new MacBook Air model 3 ays ago and cannot even get the battlenet app to finish installing BofA game, it gets a few gb in and then just drops and throws an error that is linked to blue support post (BLZBNTAGT000008A4) but is completely useless from an age of the posting perspective and each solution proposed does not change the behaviour. So looks like Blizzard has a bug preventing even the game from downloading to the newest Mac’s. Nothing kills revenue for Blizzard more than killing off the systems their player base uses.

Hi! Have you found a fix for the issue? Cronin.

Getting the same issue.

Mojave 10.14.4. iMac 27", Late 2012, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB.

Been getting these extended unresponsive moments in raids, dungeons, and even just turning a corner in Boralus. It seems to happen randomly and can last anywhere from 30 seconds to indefinitely. Sometimes it will catch up and resume. Other times it hangs the entire system and I have to force shut down. Been quite the problem, particularly in M+. I’ve tried turning the graphics all the way down to 3, but it makes no difference. Was running my graphics settings at max until 8.1.5.

I have the same issue with my
Mojave 10.12.4 iMac 27", bought Feb 2014, 3.5QC / 2x4GB / 3TB-FD / GTx780M
A lot of image glitching, it can crash WoW
I only encounter these problems when I play this game
Everything is up to date and my graphic in game is put at mid level

I just got a new iMac with the Vega 48 GPU. I am now having problems with the game scaling when I scale my desktop. My old eyes prefer the looks like 2048 x 1152. With game resolution scale at 50% I get those exact numbers. Window size is greyed out at 5120 x 2880. I tried to adjust resolution scale to get 50% of the 5120 x 2880, but there is no multiple for it.

10.14.4 public release. We have a new issue! Sometimes it gives a nice flickering rave party for no apparent reason. Have to restart the game to fix.

I have screenshots, but no image or links allowed here it appears.

You can enclose links between two ` characters like so if you aren’t at trust level 3:

https://www.apple.com

You can see how it shows up, but is just unclickable. It’s tedious at times, but it does work.

Was using 10.14.2 (with Nvidia drivers installed but not actived) and WoW was crashing on me every I would say 3 hours, also there was some odd graphics like loading the wrong textures. Always crashed out of combat, sometimes just loading in or when clicking on something. Looked up on forums here and decided to update to 10.14.4.

Updated to 10.14.4 and WoW was crashing alot and alot of odd graphics too, basically unplayable unless you basically had /console gxrestart macro’d…

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers even though they weren’t active. Oddly that helped, at least it lowered the number of crashes and graphical errors.

Last thing that seemed to really helped was lowering textures down to Low. Medium still was causing trouble, so kept them at Low.

That was my little experience with whatever is happening with Nvidia gpus and Macs. Btw my macbook pro had zero problems at all…

Additional note, even with low textures I still use /console gxrestart alot (sometimes twice in a row). Seems to occur mostly when trying to use flight path or when opening map.

Ballgarr,

There’s a known issue with odd textures here - is this what you’re describing? You can scroll through some of the posts in that thread for some more information on what we’ve been seeing.

Thank you for the link, Drakuloth. Looked though last few posts and found out about the Nvidia CUDA driver and slap it into my system. Since then haven’t noticed any issues at all for at least three hours. Going to try raising my graphics a bit. Will reply if anything is worth mentioning, but so far all is good.

btw ty again, without the direct reference of CUDA driver 418.105 this would have been impossible to find, as nvidia has omitted MacOS from their website driver search routine atm

Didnt work. Still had to /console gxrestart and have odd graphical errors. Might just be my imagination though, but the errors seems like they dont happen as often.

Ballgarr,

If the textures mentioned in that thread are the same ones you’re seeing issues with, just keep an eye on that thread for more updates from us or further work arounds from other players as they are discovered. Beyond that there’s not much we can suggest for now. Appreciate you testing those things though!