MM hunters in BGs

Actually the most absurd thing Ive ever seen just 1 tapping people with rapid fire. 30k aimed shots. Facerolling damage into their keyboards without a second thought.

Scratching my head trying to figure out why this spec was buffed so heavily? Like was BM autopilot not enough for hunters or?

14 Likes

do yall cry about everything? LMAO

4 Likes

MM hunter damage is out of control right now. As is their craven leggo. In my opinion, the biggest issue with MM is that there is no real unique counter to their damage. You can’t kite or interrupt it. You often can’t even LOS it. Very little outplay potential there. You mostly need to mongo them before they mongo you. Or hope you can get to them and kill them in a stun.

These are based off my encounters with them and observations primarily in battle grounds. Both random and rated. Uncertain how this translates to arena where MM seems to have lower representation.

Maybe someone else has some helpful insight?

4 Likes

You are absolutely correct about there being “very little outplay potential.” Hunters are absolutely dumbed down beyond the original “hunter format” that was initially used when hunters first existed. Now, not to mention they have everything every other class has, how is that fun for anyone, besides hunters?

2 Likes

Mm hunters require a lot of skill

3 Likes

You cant LOS an aimed shot?

Classes that have killed my MM hunter in under 5 seconds throughout shadowlands.

Moonkin
Feral Druids
Ret Pally
Rogues
Monks
Warriors
Fire Mage

10 Likes

just got renown 59 on mine so yay for me! i got my big boy pants on now and hope to be sitting at the adult table on turkey day.

2 Likes

not anymore. no. they changed that w/ shadowlands. tbh, its one of the most frustrating things… its just wild how some developers actually thought it was a good idea to remove los against hunters

Correct. If they play as a Kyrian (which most seem to) the giant circle covenant power gives them the ability to ignore LOS.

Even if that wasn’t true, being able to LOS them isn’t a unique counter to hunters. They are still missing that.

2 Likes

Is this the first time you guys are getting burst by class in shadowlands? What class can’t destroy people right now, they all can

1 Like

Even among the shadowlands meta mm hunter hits hard

Nope, and that’s a great point! Too many classes and specs can burst you down like nothing too quickly.

However, it seems like one of the major points we have touched on in this thread may have eluded you. The biggest issue with MM hunters is that there is no unique way to stop their damage. You can’t reliably/consistently LOS their damage, you can’t interrupt them, and you can’t kite them. That’s a huge distinction between them and the others.

Of course there is a way to stop their damage. As soon as the big yellow icon that is double tap pops up, let him start casting rapid fire and hit him with literally any CC. All his damage goes down the drain.

Any fear/stun/horrify/trap/disorient/incap/disarm will stop it. If you have nothing to CC him with while he has cooldowns popped then pop a defensive and pray, same as every other burst class out there.

If he goes for a double tap aimed shot same as above but even if he gets it off he’s not gonna 100-0 you with that combo alone unless he gets lucky with the crits or you’re under geared.

I’m not denying they’re powerful, I’m playing a hunter alt right now. But they can definitely be shut down

2 Likes

I see. So in these scenarios the hunters are either in melee range and susceptible to a melee stun or are in range of a casted CC or sap/gouge? I suppose if the hunter didn’t use sniper shot to be at max range for their burst (which is further away than any other range CC), or they are standing in melee range, or they didn’t CC you first, you could indeed stop one of their burst opportunities with a CC. If you are that lucky, then how do you stop all of their other damage that isn’t tied to double tap? Just constant CC on your end? That doesn’t seem sustainable.

The thing I have repeated multiple times already that you aren’t addressing is that they have no unique way to be stopped. Casters can be interrupted. Melee can be kited. Casters and Melee can be LOS’d. What can you do to a hunter to stop their damage that is unique to them that you can’t do to any other class/spec? In your example it seems like it’s just a hunter who didn’t position well before bursting. Obviously, you can punish someone who does that. What happens if you face a hunter who actually used their brain and CC’d you prior to their burst? Or attacks from 45+ yards away? What do you do in these situations to stop their damage? All I can think of is you blow a defensive and pray to the WoW gods that it will be enough or you have a healer near.

3 Likes

You act as if they have unlimited power over hitting things that are out of their LOS lol. They have a minute cooldown and only if they’re Kyrian, outside this rapid fire has to be in LOS to start the cast. It isn’t the only ability in the game to still be able to do damage while out of LOS.

There’s plenty of ways to interrupt hunter damage, I already listed how. Just learn to read.

But you’re right not popping leaps, blinks, dashes, gap closers in general to stop some big damage also seems like a great idea. Plus on the bright side you get to complain in the forums about it!

1 Like

Pop a defensive when they use double tap. :+1:

They’re useless without a pet or healer, just grip them in and do your DK thing… If that’s too hard, I’m not sure what you can do since it’s not hard to hit a defensive or LOS them…

4 Likes

You act as if they have unlimited power over hitting things that are out of their LOS lol. They have a minute cooldown and only if they’re Kyrian, outside this rapid fire has to be in LOS to start the cast. It isn’t the only ability in the game to still be able to do damage while out of LOS.

Oh goodness! I don’t know how I gave that impression. I mentioned it once in that last post and it’s an important fact when it comes to discussing the strengths of an MM hunter. As you said yourself, it’s a 1 minute CD. They can essentially use it with every burst cycle. Therefore, it’s safe to assume you will be unable to avoid LOS against a hunter while they are bursting. If that, to you, means they have “unlimited power over hitting things that are out of their LOS” then perhaps you should reconsider supporting them?

There’s plenty of ways to interrupt hunter damage, I already listed how.

Yes! You did a great job listing things! A CC that is instant cast would be useful in the example you gave. However, as previously stated, a hunter that knows how to play, will do their best to make sure their burst isn’t countered. It’s not as simple as you make it sound. You think a random mage or warlock is just going to run up to a hunter (or blink / soulshape), while they are using rapid fire, and start casting poly/fear and hope they get the CC off before they take the full brunt of rapid fire (which can be over 30-40k worth of damage, btw). That’s roughly 1 GCD (1.5seconds) to use that movement ability, and then the 1.5s cast to CC them to stop the damage coming out of 2 second or so channeled ability. A warlock could mortal coil. That would work well since it’s instant, but they need to be in range to do that. So once again, that’s roughly a 1.5s global and any time it takes to travel to get in range enough to do that. Worth it? Probably not. A defensive would be a better option.

There are ways to counter hunter burst damage. I have never said differently. There are ways to counter all burst damage. That’s not really my point. My point is, there are fewer ways to counter a hunter’s burst (no interrupt/kiting AND no LOS) compared to every other class/spec. That’s 2 fewer ways to counter their damage. You can make as many lists as you want (you are so good at them!!), but that doesn’t change this simple fact. The fact that I have been trying to get across this entire time. The same thing I stated in my other post that you keep failing to address. “They have no unique way to be stopped.” You have only listed how to CC someone (not unique to hunters) while they are using burst.

Personally, if I were playing my MM hunter and I wanted to kill someone, I would everything I could to make sure it wasn’t easily countered. If I failed, and it was countered, oh well. It’s not like double tap is the only way a hunter can burst someone down. Regardless, that’s not really my point.

Just learn to read.

Cute :slight_smile:

But you’re right not popping leaps, blinks, dashes, gap closers in general to stop some big damage also seems like a great idea.

It’s a great idea if you think you can stop a meaningful amount of damage. How long does it actually take to get to a hunter who is playing at 45+ yards, though? Something to consider.

Plus on the bright side you get to complain in the forums about it!

If stating facts about classes that are not balanced properly is complaining, then so be it. Sorry that’s so upsetting to you. I want the game to be balanced and fun to play in PvP. I have little else I can do to try and enact change. If it triggers you so much, perhaps stay away from the forums? Or do you enjoy complaining about people complaining?

Pop a defensive when they use double tap. :+1:

Agreed!

its not the same as every other burst class out there though.

like if its a warrior popping avatar, you can port / gatway / blink / wild charge / thunderstorm / divine ascension / ghost wolf / away, right ? like the idea and this isnt always the case (looking at you rets) is that you can shut down melee damage by kiting. by staying out of melee range

Or if its like a destro lock, you can interrupt. you can kick / rebuke/ windshear / etc etc etc and avoid the damage

but hunter doesnt have that.

of course you can stun the hunter or cyclone the hunter or whatever… BUT the destro lock is equally as susceptible to cyclone as the hunter. The warrior is equally as susceptible to stuns as the hunter. Its just that melee is susceptible to kiting AND cc, and the destro is susceptible to interrupts AND cc, while the hunter is ONLY susceptible to cc.

2 Likes