Mistweavers and Outsiders View

Iv herd alot of MW monks have been Upset with how there class functions Since mist of pandaria what i don’t understand from a player Seeing this form the out side who don’t really Play the spec What needs to change for These players of high skill LV or Lower to Fix them. ( I may Get Flac about this But i don’t care) i have a friend who is super passionate about MW monks and i feel his pain he has left wow because his Class he dearly loves Seems to be ignored But why is this blizzard why wont you fix them once and for all when The top Theory Crafters have made it easy to fix :smiley: please fix them For all the MW monks who love That spec

Nothing wrong.

They could buff Way of the Crane legendary so players can have an alternate playstyle in pvp again, more closely related to past MW builds.
From what we can assume, MW, along w/ all other specs, are getting slightly un-pruned in the next expansion; through the addition of the new talent trees… but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Side point, but it’s funny that the implication here is that a lot of Mistweavers have never liked Mistweaver.

There is a piece of the MW community that really wants to see fistweaving not be a mandatory part of the spec. I think it would be awesome if Monks were the 2nd class to get a 4th spec that was a ranged healer and then had fistweaving as its own rather than relegate it all to just a single talent. Honestly, I think this COULD be solved in Dragonflight depending on how the new talent trees operate.

Because top theorycrafters haven’t made it easy to fix. The amount of data Blizzard is looking at far exceeds anything any theorycrafter has access to. Theorycrafters have their moments, but their word isn’t gospel.

3 Likes

While blizzard might have more raw data to look at it that doesn’t mean they look at it with as fine detail as the TCs do. Blizzard have 36 specs + rest of game (achievements, pet battles, collecting etc etc) to look at while TCs typically look at one specific spec at insane detail. TCs also have a lot of custom made tools to get sizeable datasets and information out of the game. There have been multiple times where TC datasets are the reason for a bug fix, buff, blue post for clarification, etc etc. I wouldn’t undermine the important of TC datasets.

It highly depends on what content you’re looking at…
In raid typically the argument against Mistweaver is no raid wide DR like Aura Mastery, Power Word: Barrier, or Spirit Link Totem. One major reason for this is due to how long HPS was normalized or just flat out higher on the classes that bring DRs. We can see this tier when healers that only bring HPS have far higher HPS than the DR healers they get a LOT more play… one issue though is the raid needs to be tuned around needing a lots of HPS…

In mythic plus the two major arguments a strong tank external and just DPS. Mistweavers external, Life Cocoon, isn’t a DR but rather a large absorb which when placed on the tank gets eaten through insanely fast compared to something like pain sup or iron bark. If you cast Life Cocoon on a player you typically get more value out of it than a DR but the community only looks at externals for tanks for the most part so it doesn’t matter. Then Mistweaver doesn’t have great AoE damage which in keys is most of the damage you do. One upside for MW in that area though is most of our damage isn’t based on borrowed power unlike all other healers, shaman, priest, and paladin. This doesn’t help us now but will make the transition to 10.0 much smoother.

NOTE. I’m not a pvp person so this is all from what I heard from others.
In pvp you typically run into the classic no instant heals and too squishy to get damage off. I have read the post talking about why MW is a good pvp healer but as I don’t pvp I don’t know how it fully pans out…

When it comes to healer damage it isn’t a simple issue due to the existence of passive damage healers and active damage healers. A passive damage healer is one who does damage in order to heal think disc priest, holy paladin, Mistweaver monk while active damage healers are those who have to give up Healing GCDs in order to dps think holy priest, resto druid, resto shaman. I know that shaman and priests have moments where they swap to a passive damage healer but for the most part they are active. This means that outgoing damage that needs to be healed is a massive factor when it comes to how much damage a healer can do. Then we get into the difference between ST and AoE DPS and borrowed power systems.

We also have to remember that most issues in the game are player derived such as determining the power of a healer. If we look at mythic plus everyone will say Mistweaver is bad due to bad DPS but at what level does that matter? If you’re doing your weekly 15 key it shouldn’t really matter how much damage the healer does. Even up to 20s the damage healers do doesn’t really matter too much in comparison to the actual DPS and tank. Which this means most TC solutions are targeting a super niche group of people and hype fixated at one part of the game.
Example:
Mistweaver has bad AoE DPS? Why not buff Spinning Crane Kick? At what point does Spinning Crane Kick’s damage out value a Tiger Palm and the associated Blackout Kick due to Teachings of the Monastery? Does that break the design goals of the Mistweaver single target rotation? Why not just buff Tiger Palm and Spinning Crane Kick at the same time? Does this push Mistweaver ahead of other healers by a large margin for single target?

Even simple seeming changes have much more effects than intended. You could argue they should build a legendary or change a covenant to help AoE DPS but that requires a mixture of Design work, maybe art, internationalization for the text, balance, something to replace etc etc. Many different teams and requirements are required for it which leads to a large investment for a seemingly minor change.

We also have to realize that TCs might make the guides but that doesn’t mean everyone follow them meaning the community itself is also sub-divided. Mistweaver has this to an extra level with the division between people who want Mistweaver to be a ranged caster and those who want it to be a melee DPS healer. Which while playing the game optimally is important to some its not important to all and in the end the person is gonna play the game the way that is most fun to them.

4 Likes