Missing textures on players and NPCs

Also AMD Phenom Processor, been able to run everything perfectly until patch. Now no hair or skin textures.

For a prepatch whose major draw was changing hair and skin styles, this is very disappointing.

4 Likes

Remember the problem isn’t with our processors and chipsets. The game worked fine on them Monday. The problem is bad code and a lack of desire/time to fix the problem in the code. Don’t get gaslighted by marketing speech trying to make your PC sound like the problem. Especially if they’ve known about this for months like it sounds like they have through beta and PTR bug reports.

13 Likes

Exactly . I hope they don’t blame the players’ processor for getting rid of the responsibility of adjusting compatibility. lol.

4 Likes

This may not be something they can fix with the changes to the graphics engine. it is quite possibly something they are using that is not supported with the older CPUs. To say that it is a bug for unsupported hardware having issues is not fair to their developers or testers. They don’t test on systems that don’t meet the requirements. Should it run on a 486 with 2 GB RAM, absolutely not. As any software developer will tell you, at some point you have to stop supporting older hardware to move the software forward.

Why would they be responsible for changing their code to support a processor that does not meet the “Minimum System Requirements” for the game? They posted the required specs several months ago.

I hope they find a fix for it, but in all reality they have no obligation to continue supporting hardware that is below their specified requirements.

1 Like

I understand your point, it must be really nice not to worry about not being able to play the game, because your computer worked just fine.
But outside the comfort bubble, the amount of players who are unable to buy a new processor to play a game, which until 2 days ago was working normally, is huge.
People pay dearly to be able to have a few minutes of WoW fun, and these players should be considered as well, so I don’t think it’s fair that they can’t find a way to fix compatibility.

7 Likes

I mean, it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t hold out hope. Must be easy for you who sits on the other side of the fence with greener pastures. Here is the dumb part right? Literally every single aspect of Shadowlands is going to work, but character skins and textures? Hell no.

So this gives me a bit of hope that something can be done.

5 Likes

Actually my computer is impacted by this, so I am not sitting on the other side. I have one of the older AMD processors that is affected by this issue.

Still waiting for a way for my chars to be pretty :cry:

1 Like

To say that it is a bug for unsupported hardware having issues is not fair to their developers or testers. They don’t test on systems that don’t meet the requirements.

Not correct. This issue was reported on PTR many times by people who were on older CPUs. This has been a known issue for weeks because PTR testing was done on systems that were below min. spec.

One example: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/edit-made-it-to-live-build-player-character-graphics-bug/652440

1 Like

There is another thread on this topic with blue posts: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/amd-missing-character-textures-after-90/675921/448

Exact same issue

Hello All! Thank you for your patience. I wanted to direct you to the following thread for an update from:

Rommax - WoW Developer
I can confirm this issue is a bug in our fallback path for new character customization tech that we use if a CPU lacks SSE 4.1 support. We are working on getting a fix out soon.

You can follow the thread here for updates.

8 Likes

Can confirm. If you don’t meet the minimum requirements to run a game, expecting devs to patch in a solution because you haven’t upgraded in 8+ years is a bit ridiculous don’t you think?

Expecting them to cater to hardware that is ancient at this point (in terms of release date at least) is overbearing. I’m in the same boat as everyone in this thread. That said, I also understand that screaming at devs to fix something that they updated for modern systems, which - isn’t your system anymore, is pretty futile.

I can’t afford to upgrade right now either, if you’re looking to run an AMD system after upgrade, the min requirement has been moved up to an FX-8300 series, they’re about 100 bucks on newegg if you can afford them. If you can’t, the game is still perfectly playable. They ARE working on a solution, so just be patient and wait. It’s disappointing that we can’t use the new features at the moment…but let’s call a spade a spade here…our CPUs are all from a time when Tirion Fordring was still the Lich King.

Wait it out boys.

Thank you so much!!

Thank you veryy much :sunny:

So problem IS for older AMD processors - devs are aware, and a fix is coming - Thanks Dev’s!

1 Like

They better make one and lvl boost it LMFAO I’m just kidding

whatever you guys did fixed texture bug, im on PTR right now and i can finally see characters normally. ill log in and check NPCs but looks good so far

5 Likes

They fixed it!
thx blizz

2 Likes

CONFIRMED! Fixed - thanks Blizz :slight_smile:

1 Like