Microsoft Lays Off 1900

Lex Luther said it best.

Now onto my own thoughts… What worries me is is Mike Ybarra literally said at Blizzcon that he would have to be dragged out of Blizzard. Now here he is saying hes leaving. How bad did things get for him I wonder :thinking:

1 Like

FYI: the SFAs are safe and still part of the CS forums. They posted to let us know.

Also:

5 Likes

They probably told him to do something notable.

From what I can tell, it is greed. Pure greed. Raking in record profits while talking about cutting staff to make it even leaner! More mansions and golden parachutes at the top, more ramen noodles at the bottom and fretting if you have a job next week.

There was understandable going to be some consolidation and redundant positions with a big merger. I think everyone expected that. It was not even too far fetched to think a game might get cancelled. Starcraft Ghost did and so did Titan.

With all the other tech industry layoffs though it is just rough all around.

8 Likes

Sometimes I wish I was a fly on the wall and could watch what causes these people to quit. I have my suspicions but you can never prove it.

2 Likes

It’s actually mostly because most companies, even outside of the gaming industry, were taking out alot loans prior to the pandemic. Interest rates were extremely low and it was dubbed essentially “free money”.

Issue is inflation is high and interest rates keep going up which means those low interest loans are now high interest.

2 Likes

But it means there’s at least a chance

To be fair, that thing was more than likely going to be a live service game and if you haven’t been keeping up, live service games across the industry have been getting axed. Sony killed that Last of Us live service thing that Naughty Dog was working on too after Bungie said it was trash lol. Not sure they got rid of the people working on it though.

1.WoW obsessed with high end playstyle that punishes the average customer

1. RMT the size of a 3rd world country’s economy ruining the experience for the average customer

2. complexity created by employees fighting to justify their jobs turning every aspect of the game into pyramid building that leaves the average customer lost and seeking 3rd parties to navigate thru it

wow has problems I still play AoE 1 so guess which side I am on…

3 Likes

There are 100% people who worked on WoW that were laid off.

That’s just terrible!

Ion is not on the list.
:man_facepalming:

8 Likes

Ion is Boyd Crowder…

its a damn shame

Do we actually have a list?

I’m a scrub casual. I’m not “punished.”

I don’t even know RMT exists in my playstyle and I’m pretty average.

More things were explained this expansion than most others.

:dracthyr_shrug:

Where’d we see this? I’m probably behind on the Tweets.

3 Likes

theres a golden haze over the meadow.

I agree. DEI is being removed so that comprises some layoff numbers but also the economy is contracting and when that happens, entertainment is one of the 1st to feel it.

That said, I didn’t read the article nor do I know what the contract says when MS bought Blizzard so I can’t really comment further.

3 Likes

holly longdale

https://x.com/TheWindstalker/status/1750614186743484672?s=20

wow pipelines not changing

5 Likes

Good to see Holly getting ahead of the rumors.

1 Like

There were improvements and more hot fix patches. But I think a new person can do better.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man: