Mentor System Problems From Blizzards Post

If you haven’t read their prepatch post then here it is:

But I can see some potential problems with the mentor system as it only extends until a new player has reached level 20 and then they no longer have access to it. This makes it a lot harder to guide them through the end game if that is something they would want to learn about and I hope Blizzard will expand this system to include endgame content as well.

Also I don’t know why I was expecting a UI addition, but it is apparently just another form of Chat that appears in your box, like General/Trade chat. I feel like this could really be expanded upon.

13 Likes

I didn’t realize that it was cut off after a certain level. I figured that players were considered new until they’ve reached so much play time or have opted out of it.

9 Likes

Its also a chat option, similar to Trade chat. The one good thing is that if you are a mentor you are marked and only new players can see it if they are running around the world, but that doesn’t matter much when most mentors will be max level and the new players leave the system at level 20.

3 Likes

Level 20 will last a little longer than it does currently after the squish but yeah, I bet they could take it to 30 just fine.

I feel for endgame content I’d do less mentoring and more simply pointing folks towards actual guides/sims/data.

1 Like

Yeah but once they reach the endgame I doubt they will even know all the possible systems. Like what is mythic+, raiding, pvp, arenas, how to get gear etc. And there are guides but first you need to know they exist.

FF14 has a mentor system, no one uses it to help new players and considering how much more toxic the WoW community is over FF14 i imagine it’ll be the same here

6 Likes

I will. At least.

True, would depend on how inquisitive an individual is, some folks look into all that stuff before they even get started, but then those folks would probably not really need the system int he first place.

Maybe they could switch to it being time based? Like once you’ve reached 3-5 months played you get the boot.

Thats mostly because the chat devolved into a clique chat on most servers with Mentors abusing the kick system and caring more about the prestige of a crown by their name than actually helping.

The fact that you can only see the mentor icons while in the system will cut back on a surprising amount of crap Mentors IMO.

4 Likes

I see the overriding issue as the fact that they require 3000 quests to qualify, which means nobody who is a mentor has been a new player for many years. So they won’t be familiar with what being a new player is like right now, and they probably also won’t be familiar with the Exile’s Reach experience a new player with no roots in the game will find.

2 Likes

But they will be familiar with the game. Hopefully.

2 Likes

New players need help getting started. I’ve seen them get lots of bad advice from players who haven’t been a new player for more than a decade, and maybe were experienced at this genre before they even started playing wow.

The part of the game that guides will be familiar with is end game. But their services will end long before that becomes relevant to a new player.

I think this is a shortcoming.

They should maybe increase the qualifications required then. Personally not sure how you could give poor advice to a new player, seems straightforward.

Especially if they ask pointed questions like the newcomer chat is meant for.

1 Like

I mean I guess could btag them or invite to guild. The concept sounds nice, I prolly would not mentor someone. Just to the fact I don’t want the responsibiity.

In the last few weeks, I’ve helped out a few people that have played WoW in the past and were coming back after being gone either a couple years or three or four. None were brand new players to the game, so none would qualify for the mentor system.

Nevertheless, I spent quite a bit of time explaining things to them, like why there are two Dalaran’s, the different new continents for each expansion they missed, etc. Even at level 120, the returning players with fresh toons at max level were overwhelmed with all the systems in BfA and were confused of what to prioritize, where the best sources of better gear were, why they couldn’t get accepted into any groups via the group finder, etc.

As another example, I was in Arathi on an alt last week, and killed a rare that drops a mount, with the help of a priest. She got the mount that drops and didn’t know what it was or how to use it. I had to walk her through it and she was quite appreciative and then very happy to have a new bat mount.

The idea that the mentor system stops before max level, little less at level 20 that is 1/3 of max level, is astoundingly short sighted to my little cow brain. I get that Blizz has data that says most people that try the game don’t make it to level 20 so that is what they are focused on. But it would be better to let people use the system through at least max level and maybe for a specified amount of time played at max level since there are things people will need help with throughout all of that time.

Kicking new players out of the mentor system and into general chat at level 20 after getting hopefully some decent help via the mentor system and then forcing them to have to contend with the greater wow player base, well, that just doesn’t seem like it will end well for many people.

/moo :cow:

9 Likes

How to give bad advice to a new player, actual conversation…

New player who just reached 60 in a few days: “I don’t have enough gold to buy flight.”

Multiple experienced players, “Go grind hundreds of quests at 30 silver each to earn that, you lazy good for nothing.”

There you go.

So you mean trolling. Cause thats trolling not bad advice.

Systemsland : what is Anima, what is Renown, what are soulbinds ? Wait conduits ? Potency, Finesse, Endurance ? Signature abilities ?!?! Class abilities, wait I know this one! Soulbind abilities ? Legendaries, Base items ? Stat sockets ? “What the heck is a Torghast and what does it have to do with item crafting” ?

Why is it this complex!

5 Likes

The experienced players in that conversation were convinced that “the game throws gold at low levels”, which is utterly false. Quests at that level give 30 silver.

It is a common misconception often stated in the forums by experienced players who believe it is true.

At the current pace of leveling, that player would be in cata or pandaria before having enough gold to buy flight.

1 Like

Can confirm, am on a Allied race heritage set unlock blitz. You don’t really have the 225 gold required by dungeon leveling, I always come up about 80 short.

No. They WERE experienced players. It was just so long since they’d been a new player they had no idea how things have changed for new players.

Back when they were leveling, leveling took longer. Players were able to farm mats and sell them to earn gold, which is no longer a thing, while quest rewards still start a 1 silver and scale up slowly.