Mentality of classic(Big Rant)

I am sorry to hear you have had a poor experience with other players, OP. I play on Myzrael, and my experience has been only positive (yeah, there is snarkiness in Elwynn Forest and Barrens chat, but…that’s the nature of that beast). Everyone has been super helpful and willing to group up for quests, and loot has never been a problem.

1 Like

I got a good chuckle outa that

2 Likes

Rose tinted glasses. Cmn

1 Like

@evileyes I feel you. Don’t know if it’s the instant gratification mentality that was instilled by Retail, or nolifer style of wanting to be there first… I used to be guilty of the latter, I’ll admit. Used to raid hardcore progression (as a tank) since WotLK until I burned out. Now I play just for my own enjoyment, and avoid guilds for the same reasons as you. I don’t want to feel like I have a duty to level up quickly, to invest more time than I can realistically afford, and most of all I don’t want the game to turn from having fun into a chore.

Watching the pointless rush and greed is a bit disheartening. We’ve got enough selfishness and general jackassery in our RLs - there’s no need to bring that into a game.

But don’t let that turn you away. Those who rush to the endgame now will eventually quit. There’ll be nothing more for them to achieve and they’ll turn their attention to another game. In the meantime, people like us can just take it easy and play at our own pace and actually enjoy it.

2 Likes

If im in a group and a blue/epic BOE drops I am the last person to need/greed. If everyone needs I need, if everyone greeds I greed. If someone is holding out I need at the end of the timer. If someone playing one class and says they need it for another one of their characters, that is no good. I need against them. You roll for gear on the character you are playing, I don’t care what alts you have.

Then if there are 2 need rolls and the rest are greed, If I won i let the other 3 roll and if they beat my roll then I trade them the item.

1 Like

There are millenials playing games these days, there weren’t “back in the day” … could easily be some correlation.

2 Likes

This is a problem with society as a whole not just wow.

2 Likes

What it boils down to is that the core audience is different. The kids of 15 years ago are the core audience now. And this is what we have.

1 Like

Ok bro, I feel you. But here is the thing: out of two of you the only difference is that you decided to be nice about it. That’s all. He didn’t ask to need but you did. I completely understand your point. Although none of you specifically needed that item for your characters that you are playing at the moment. So you both should’ve greed on it. But I share the same view about people being greedy about items in a GAME. I get it, I think it’s the best game ever and I love it and I want to have the best gear in it but not the way people like him doing it.
Recently one of the members from Ferers De Sang guild from Heartseeker server rolled need on a flask recipe when he wasn’t an alchemist with two people in a group having 300 alchemy skill. He reasoned his behavior by saying “bro! It’s 300g!!! Do you think I let you ninja that?!?” Or something of that sort. Once again: he wasn’t alchemist while two other party members were and legitimately needed the recipe. He told me “lol I’m sure you would need on a krol blade if it dropped”. I’m a shaman, and no, I would t need on it if someone in the party would be able to use it and it would’ve been an upgrade.
Unfortunately there is no way wround people like that not only in the game but in the society today in general. The only advice I can give you is not to pug but find a good heal that you can rely on for leveling, dungeons and farming and you will not have issues like that or it will be minimal

It’s healthy to want to discuss these things. Please dont ever stop. And yes, I agree there seems to be a overwhelming amount of selfish people in Classic that are down right rude.

I started playing online games in early 2000. I honestly felt back then people were much more welcoming, kind, generous, and patient. It’s what made me fall in love and become so addicted to online gaming.

I agree. However, I only ever experience this when I play with PUGs. I encourage you to please find a guild of like minded individuals and play with them from this point forward. I can personally guarantee you that 99% of these issue disappear when playing with guildies.

I’m sorry but this 100% your fault. You should have stuck up for youself and told that little gnome punk you were going to roll need. There is absolutely no reason they would have priority over you. You both contributed to the kill. You both have an equal right to the loot.

Stick up for yourself man!

This has been so freaking frustering for me. People are either absolutely moronic or all have absolutely no integrity, morals, or ethics. So they need on everything because they can’t understand such a basic concept like “need” or “greed”.

Or my favorite “I’m rolling need as to not get an item ninjad from me” So in other words you are ninjaing an items because you are in fear of it being ninjad from you. KK got it, scumbag.

For anyone reading this. Need is for when it’s an upgrade and or you are going to use the item upon receiving it. Greed is for when you want to sell the item for money - I know, shockingly difficult to understand.

This was my experience un till I decied to never group with randos. Made my life much much simpler and less drama.

That’s a great mentality to have. Dont let these people beat you down.

You must become the change in the world you wish to see!

I agree, the game is substantially different than what it used to be back in 2004-2006. Were there people like this back in Classic? Yes, absolutely. Were they as prominent as they are in this day and age? No.

Please find youself a guild of like minded individuals. I assure you, it will resolve a majority of your problems.

I wont even play with PUGs anymore because I run into so many of these issues you described. It truly sucks the fun out of the game, for me.

Best of luck to you on your adventures.

Don’t you mean the “neediness”? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I mean…blame streamers? They put that mind set into the player base. It’s kind funny how they back peddled on them saying it’s all bout the community and just alienate themselves from the community.

1 Like

I blame the horde for all of this

1 Like

Have you been outside and interacted with other people lately? It’s not just in vidya games dude.

1 Like

Honestly, this post sounds no different than back in the day.

I met up with some people horde side on a server and we talked about when new fresh servers come out, we’d re-roll alliance.

At first it was great, we all re-rolled and picked key pieces (classes) so that we could add guild members later and not have our progression slowed down by bad players. The core was solid, we progressed quickly and then the greed set in.

I’ve never seen such childish behavior from “adults”. The constant bickering over Ventrillo about who deserved what and why. When stuff dropped in MC and elsewhere, the foolishness dialed up to 11.

Being a guild master sucked. I dreaded logging into deal unbelivebly childish crap from these people and for a time I tried to inject some sanity. Pfft, that didn’t work, the guys that I started the guild with, the ones we spent hours gearing, all left.

I don’t think this is a “Classic”, “Vanilla” or otherwise. It’s textbook human Internet behavior. I’m not saying everyone does it. I’m not saying everyone is a jerk. I am saying that this isn’t new.

1 Like

Streamers (the sucessful ones) are no different than the TV. You guys watch because they say outlandish crap. Doing anti-social stuff dials into people. You are being (in some senses) conned.

No one is going to watch an hour and a half of the safe operation and maintenance of a locomotive. They want to watch a train wreak.

translation- i missed out on a shiny and now the world is evil

2 Likes

I had a mage get angry at me for rolling need on Int/Spirit BoE Green gloves.

Said it would have been an upgrade for them. Gloves were 7int 6 spirit, I has wearing 4 agil, 4int, 3stam gloves from a quest, they were waring 6 int 6 spirit gloves.

Also had a level 34 warlock take the level 39 Whitemane hat I’d been trying to get for a long time. :woman_shrugging:

Didn’t really matter to him he had 5 levels before he could use it, and probably would be running SM Cath more as he leveled. He got his and left.

People are selfish. Classic is no different than Retail.

You have people rolling need on stuff they don’t need because they just want gold.

You got people taking BoE blues saying they are upgrades, then turning around and selling them on the AH for some gold, ect. ect.

That’s how this game has been since inception.

1 Like

You do.
Retail that way -------------->

1 Like

You’re making this drama in your head, alone.

1 Like