Mentality of classic(Big Rant)

I know I’m not the only one that has to deal with the selfish mentality, but it is seriously OUT OF CONTROL!!! I have never seen so many people that are just down right rude and selfish in my entire gaming history and I come from when MMO’s came out back in the day. 1997,respectively.

I’m not complaining about some people but the majority of the players seem to have this mindset that the game revolves around them and if you decide to help them you are by no means able to need or greed on a BOE. Forget about it.

I want to give examples here but you guys already know them all, I’m sure. It’s just getting to the point where I feel sad playing this game, lol. It sounds stupid but it’s the truth. It’s just a becoming a huge disappointment to me.

Okay here is one latest example, I was out doing quests I asked a mage to join group to get the quest done he said “okay sure”, He went on to say you can heal and I will aoe" I said okay cool. Well we were doing that and of course a boe drops a neck piece with strength and stam. He needed on it and I asked if I could need on it too, he said no, I said “how come, it is a tank piece.” He replied “because I need this stuff, I have a tank”. I said so do I, in fact I have all classes". I passed on it and said to him " I might just quit this game, everyone is so mean and selfish". He replied “don’t be sad dude” , you will get your chance".

I didn’t reply back , just left it as it was. But ya know what I was really disappointed with him saying no, to the point I think he felt it and I know that may sound strange but maybe he did feel my sadness. It didn’t make me angry , it made me sad. But that is another topic all together.

So as a healer I just see the horrors of it all. I mean people needing on everything and anything. My experience has been more bad then good. But ya know what I don’t get mad, I just keep going and hope to meet good people. I tried to have the selfish mentality but its just not my nature. I do think that maybe I just don’t fit in the game anymore. Which is also sad to me because I have played the game since 04.

I don’t know I mean I’m sure you guys don’t care about a random player but I just don’t know what it was about tonight that truly upset me to the point I came here to the forums. I guess I’m just tired of it and if its not fun or positive , why bother ya know?

I try to create my own fun and stuff and not rely on others so much because I have been let down in the game so much, I mean even in guilds the tank would take loot they didn’t need or I seen mages take staves with strength on them and I just say to myself “whatever, I’m here for the experience.”
Which I have had some great ones like tonight , you know that Elite guy in dusk wood Mel something. Well It was a Pally and I, we downed him just us and the funny thing is I’ve seen full groups not able to take that guy on. We both said Good job to each other at the same time and that is what I love about this game, kindness and working together and fairness.
Also some of these guild leaders are for the birds, someone posted about the gm of their guild giving them a hard time for having an alt, well I got kicked from my guild for being on my alt and not leveling fast enough. Yep, not cool. You dont do that crap. I just don’t understand the mentality these days at all. I was there in vanilla up to Cata. Ninja looting was rare and I was on the Shattered hand in one of the best guilds, but regardless of that. I never seen so many selfish people and maybe it’s because I pvped mostly after BC came out. I dont know. But as a healer I really do not want to deal with raids, if these lower lvl dungeons and groups are this way now, I can only imagine how raids are gonna be.

TLDR, the game feels way different from back in the day, the bad ones were the rare now its the good ones are the rare. That is all. I hope you guys out there are having better experiences.

13 Likes

tl;dr: not every human being is friendly

28 Likes

There’s your problem. Yeah, I have a tank too. He’s level 1 right now.

It’s not something new. People have been about loot since day 1. I actually doubt you played this game in Vanilla.

7 Likes

I was here, read what I actually wrote honey buns.

2 Likes

It’s why personal loot was put in the game.
You gotta deal with the vagaries of scum bags and looting, or go back to retail and personal loot.

4 Likes

Why would you ask his permission to loot a boe?

Just hit need if he did it as well.

Be assertive and stand up for yourself!

42 Likes

So much this.

10 Likes

There is a pretty strange mentality that people seem to carry, where they believe their time is more valuable than anyone else’s when it comes to gear grinds. I have learned a long time ago that unless it happens to be someones BiS or pre raid BiS but is just kind of an upgrade for me, it’s best to just roll for it than ask permission. Because of course they won’t give it to you if you ask.

1 Like

IDGI brother. Why is it his problem that he said something and you agreed? Is it a conflict avoidance thing (it’s a real problem people with social anxiety face)?

If not, you 100% should have just needed on it as well, and let RNGesus decide who needs it more.

8 Likes

He needs, you need. Fair is fair.

my experience has been pretty good - but I’m less sensitive than you are,

4 Likes

It’s purely anecdotal. I’ve had nothing but good experiences so does that mean I can claim the majority of people are fair? As a resto druid there are not many leather pieces I need with healing stats on it. I ran a SM that had a mage in it so do you know what I did? I whispered the mage and asked if they minded if I needed on cloth gear before we even started the dungeon. That felt like the right thing to do. Luckily for me, the mage also mains a resto druid and understood completely. With a little communication we don’t have to have harsh feelings and misunderstandings.

2 Likes

Why would you ask if you can need - he needed ? Especially, if you were going to leave the group anyway ?

In any case, classic brings out the greediness in people - the game is designed that way.

3 Likes

sounds like you both needed it for an alt anyway ? you have two options

1/you put up with the occasional loot greed, just need too if you really need it, that is what the options is there for! just don’t try take it away from someone who can wear it over your alt (seems reasonable)

2/you play retail that is soo opposite end of the spectrum you either do or don’t get loot from killing a boss lol

imo 2 feels soo bad when you run a boss like 5 times and don’t get anything, 1 is like maybe 1 in every 10 players I have met

1 Like

Can I have your stuff?

2 Likes

My advise to you is to not ask for peoples permission, and always roll last. Also, no reason to get heated over a boe green.

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/vala_
Youtube: Vala Thetank
Twitter: @valathetank

3 Likes

You know, that’s the hype but I don’t remember vanilla being this paradise of compassion and understanding.

I don’t think much has changed about the playerbase, tbh.

3 Likes

Name calling? You’re part of the problem.

5 Likes

Talk about being sensitive looool.

1 Like

You are far too weak willed for WOW and the internet in general. Best advice here is to uninstall the game but in lieu of that, find a guild with your same sensibilities and only grind/quest/dungeon/raid with them.

3 Likes

Respectively of what?

1 Like