Melee and Local defense

Q1 - when doing a melee attack, do I continuously click the right mouse button? or is it an auto thing after I click once? I made a Paladin and not sure how to fight while waiting on my action bar to be ready again. (I hope that makes sense)

Q2 - When the local defense says a location is under attack … where do we go? Is this something we are supposed to do? For example, I am in the Elwynn Woods are and it keeps saying ‘Goldshire is under attack’.

Change the S and D keys to strafe left and right in keybindings. You don’t need turn keys as any dps class straffing is much better, only use turn keys if your healing because your mouse is hovering over raid frames most of the time so you cant hold the right mouse button to turn all the time.

The default is to hold the right mouse button to turn your character not attack, and that’s what you should be doing. Assign auto attack from your spellbook to another key. Actually, you dont need autoattack at all after you get a few skills because there will always be a skill to use at the start of combat. After you use one skill you will auto attack automatically without hitting the auto attack skill.

Thank You! I usually play a ranged distance character, so this is all new to me.

If you plan to stick with PC MMO’s for awhile, I recommend the Logitech G600 mouse, which is cheap on amazon. I’ve been using it for 5 years and love it. There are 12 side mouse buttons to use with your thumb for skills. You can also use Shift + mouse button for another 12, and there are a few more by pushing left and right on the wheel.

If you have all your instant skills on mouse buttons, you never have to stop moving to use them. Stopping movement to use an instant skill hurts your performance.

Also, put your skills on keys close to the move keys. so the skills you use most on q,e,r,f - c,x,z, v, 1,2,3,4.

Lastly, new players may know this but just in case. In combat, you should never ever click a skill on your hot bar to use it. All combat skills should be assigned to hot keys or mouse buttons. Any players that click the hot bar to use skills in combat are bad.

If your moving a mouse and clicking on a hot bar, it takes longer and diverts your eyes off everything else, and you have the chance of over or under shooting in a panic. If you need more keys, you can also use shift + keys to assign skills I do that as well.

The only exceptions for players struggling with key space is perhaps skills with 5+ minute cool downs, but I have every skill on a mouse button or key. Use tab to cycle enemy targets.

You don’t have to do anything for Local Defense. What it means is that there is a Horde player in the indicated location (in your example, in the town of Goldshire in Elwynn Forest) who has been noticed by the NPCs.

When this happens, an automated message goes out in the Local Defense channel, although if you’re not in warmode I don’t think you’ll be able to do anything about it. Although honestly at your current level you wouldn’t likely be able to help much anyways.

I second the recommendation of the G600 as a solid model. I also have one, and it’s very good if you’re looking at a long-term gaming mouse.

If the 12 buttons seems excessive for your needs, however, any of the Logitech mouse lines are good choices.

Conversely I do not recommend Razer mouse products if you plan to shop around. They have similar performance to their Logitech counterparts, but the Naga (the most popular model) has a spotty record for functional lifetime at best. People I’ve seen talking about theirs (including some people I’ve played with) have had their Naga break down entirely within 2-3 years.

Right clicking enables your auto attack as does using many offensive melee abilities, you don’t need to continually press it.

Thanks so very much everyone! I use a vertical mouse because of carpal tunnel issues and I can play for longer periods of time. At one point I did have the G600 and I do miss it, but I don’t miss the pain.