Meat to Pet Transmute stinks.

10/30/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Kurashi
I have two of the three pets.

There are actually 4 BFA alchemy pets. =\

Another week, and another set of nothing interesting from the transmute for me.

A couple things they could do to make this process feel better; either or all of the following QOL improvements would help.
  • Reduce (or remove) the CD on the transmute and the time it takes for the sac to open up. I'd be ok with 3 days instead of 7. Daily would be even better, but I'd have to farm up more mats lol.
  • Limit the "junk pets" from the transmute to recent battle pets only. There are pets from Legion that could work that some might have missed out on. And since that was just an expansion ago, those pets might still be relevant enough so people could sell them for a decent price.
2 Likes
I posted something about it on the new forum thread they started (under general) for questions they will look at for inclusion in a panel discussion for those who will not make it to Blizcon. Not that it will garner any attention, but posted it anyway :)
Been awhile since I last posted in here. Just felt that you should all be aware that the prior two attempts on my two alchemists since have been yet more moths.

This concludes the PSA.
10/29/2018 11:32 PMPosted by Peapöd
That's a total of 43 pets, only 6 of which were the new "rare" pets. None of them were Baby Crawg or the Ball of Tenticles. That means a person with one alchemist has a 14% chance each week of getting a "rare" pet.

You are actually above average lucky there. Wowhead's numbers show only about a 9% total chance of a special pet, split about 3% each for the Hopper and Larva, and 1.5% each for the Crawg and Ball.

This is compared with about an 18%, 18% and 9% chance (45% total) for each of the three special pets from the Legion version.

It seems such a marked difference as to maybe be an error. It will easily take 2 years for a single Alch to get all 4 pets with those numbers.
10/31/2018 12:21 AMPosted by Minidecay
It seems such a marked difference as to maybe be an error. It will easily take 2 years for a single Alch to get all 4 pets with those numbers.

I believe there is something wrong with the rotation of pets on this item, and thats why I've been tracking my results in my diary post. My account stops on 11/12 but I will post my results until that time.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769437280

The last 12 sac's have been nothing but vendor pets, and for someone with one alchemist that would be 3 months without finding a rare pet. That seems very excessive to me.
1 Like
You know when i brought up how annoying and terrible the design was for the legion version of this craft i remember being dogpiled about wanting everything handed to me.
1 Like
10/31/2018 10:38 PMPosted by Zunde
You know when i brought up how annoying and terrible the design was for the legion version of this craft i remember being dogpiled about wanting everything handed to me.

/pats you on the head

Such a good boy! You're usually right, albeit caustic. =)
2 Likes
10/31/2018 10:38 PMPosted by Zunde

Yeah, the fan-boys who think Blizzard-can-do-no-wrong are rampant here. I remember recently complaining at the abysmal drop-rate of PPCs (which has since seemed to be slightly tuned up) and everyone says, "Oh, you want everything handed to you."

Well, no, it's not that. I just hate the way everything is time-gated. If I want 5000 pet charms right away, I should be able to farm pet charms day-after-day-after day if I want to until I get those pet charms. Does that sound like I want anything handed to me?

It's like Blizzard is terrified of us going through content too quickly, then cancelling memberships until the next expansion, so everything is time-gated.

I found that once I operated from the perspective that Blizzard wants to flat-tire us from progressing too quickly, justifications for my theory popped up everywhere. Blizzard's stalling tactics are in absolutely everything. Even the geography itself is designed to make getting from point a to point b as time-consuming and tedious as possible. Why do you think Blizzard hates flying so much?
2 Likes
11/01/2018 03:55 AMPosted by Loncis
Why do you think Blizzard hates flying so much?

To understand that, you have to go back to Warlords of Draenor. Ion did an interview and discussed it when they (at one point) decided to no longer allow flying in WoW going forward. They later on relented and added the pathfinder achievement after significant community disagreement with the original decision. The general timeline of WoD:

WoD announcement: We are gonna experiment with no flying anymore in WoW. We'll revisit it:

Tanaan zone announcement: We like no flying, so the experiment is over...we're canning it

Sometime later: We realize the community really dislikes our decision and has a lot invested in previous flying content/mounts/etc, so we are going to add it back but make it harder to get than before

For reference, this was the interview that came out around the time of the Tanaan announcement (I think):
https://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/8645293/world-of-warcraft-no-flying-tanaan-jungle-warlords-of-draenor-mmo-pc-blizzard

EDIT: the blog post reversing the direction no longer exists, but here is a wayback machine version:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150613013525/http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19800551/dev-watercooler-flying-in-draenor-6-10-2015
11/01/2018 04:48 AMPosted by Jere
They later on relented and added the pathfinder achievement after significant community disagreement with the original decision.

That's a nice way of putting it. No, what happened was that Ion realized he can either put flying back in, or be standing in an unemployment line in the wake of a mass exodus of players. And I'd wish him the best of luck finding work in this field again, being remembered as the lead dev who singlehandedly killed WoW.

And my contention stands. They don't like flying because it allows players to save time getting from point a to point b. Everything, everthing, everything in this game was created to make progression as slow as possible. Flying allows us to not only bypass the obstacle course that they've turned the geography into, but to actually travel much faster.

I've already done all the necessary achievements that will probably be the prerequisites for Pathfinder II. I've earned the necessary rep on my DK, killed all the rares for the achievement and found all the treasures. I had it all done within the first month. I'd have flying today if they would just unlock it. But that would allow the players to progress too quickly. Why allow a player to get to a quest in one minute when, by disallowing flying, you make that trip last three minutes or more?
1 Like
I think we’re getting to the point where Nomi ruined less materials last expansion then alchemists this expansion are wasting on Meat to Pet.

The drop rate needs to change or the cooldown reduced. 3 days is fine. That’s what the egg is for Green Proto Drake.

And the WQ seriously need to stop dropping AP.
1 Like
There are people that have ran the same dungeon 30+ times trying to get a single item. They may have spent a few days or a week grinding that out until they got what they were after.

Why is it so wrong that items that have a low drop chance may take just as many attempts. While that may equate to 30+ weeks there are very few items in the game that are that rare, in that sense.

You don't need these things changed. You want them changed for convenience sake. There are over 1000 other pets in the game. Just because it's considerably more time consuming to earn these pets yourself does not mean they should become easier to obtain.

Before the same parrot replies to me, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have these become easier to obtain. It's just not needed.
1 Like
11/01/2018 12:32 PMPosted by Reconbravo
It's just not needed.
Of course it's not needed. After all, it's just a game, a hobby, a way to spend spare time, so Warcraft itself is not needed, much less any bunch of pixels within it.

And the more people get fed up with excessively boring grinds, especially those which may yield no results even if worked on for years, the more people will decide Warcraft is just a waste of their time, and will quietly quit.
2 Likes
Why is it so wrong that items that have a low drop chance may take just as many attempts. While that may equate to 30+ weeks there are very few items in the game that are that rare, in that sense.

Because it is closer to 130 weeks expected time at the current probabilities. This is worse than old raids mounts like Invincible and Mimiron's Head. And longer than this expansion will last, after which there will likely be a new set of pets for our Alchemists to work on.
How do you justify using 130 weeks as a number to collect the 4 rare pets from Alchemy? It looks very arbitrary to me. I have seen no evidence to support that claim.
There are people that have ran the same dungeon 30+ times trying to get a single item. They may have spent a few days or a week grinding that out until they got what they were after.

You don't need these things changed. You want them changed for convenience sake. There are over 1000 other pets in the game. Just because it's considerably more time consuming to earn these pets yourself does not mean they should become easier to obtain.

Before the same parrot replies to me, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have these become easier to obtain. It's just not needed.

Meat to Pet Transmute is just a part of larger issues. You have people that are frustrated with low drop rate island pets. Frustrated with rng chance at pet charms. Frustrated with reputation pets now costing said charms instead of gold like in the past. Frustrated with a lot of other general things that has nothing to do with pet battles but WoW in general.

There is all this frustration and waiting a week to get another "trash" pet is just adding to it. If you look at it that way some type of change is needed. Not to make the pets easier to get but to help with frustration. Instead of giving people pets all the time they could add a chance to fail which would give mats back and maybe 5 pet charms. They could reduce the cooldown so people could try more often or let people have more than one sac in their bags at a time.

The other thing is Meat to Pet is not like running a dungeon or a raid. I can do a dungeon as many times as I like in a day or everyday. I can do it across all of my characters if they are of the right level. I don't need to level or even have a profession to do. The same with raids, even though they have a weekly lockout I can take my alts in there and do the same raid everyday on a different character. I will even get gear and other items I can sell for gold unlike the pets that sell for very little.
3 Likes
11/02/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Reconbravo
How do you justify using 130 weeks as a number to collect the 4 rare pets from Alchemy? It looks very arbitrary to me. I have seen no evidence to support that claim.

The chance of the 4 pets dropping are 3%, 3%, 1.5% and 1.5% respectively (as per Wowhead numbers).

That means when you have none of them, you have a 9% chance of getting one, which means an expectation of about 11 weeks for your first one. The differing odds make it a bit tricky to calculate this precisely, but it will not be far off.

Assuming you got one of the more common ones, you then have a 6% chance of getting one of the others, which means you expect 15 weeks for the next one, 26 total so far.

Once you have the two common ones, you now have a 3% chance of either of the two hard ones. So 33 more weeks for one of those on average. 59 total so far.

Finally for that last one there is only a 1.5% chance, 66 more weeks, 125 total. As I said "closer to 130 than 30".

The same calculation for the Legion numbers (18, 18 and 9) gives an expected ~17 weeks for comparison.

I literally have those other pets (1047 unique as of today), the only pet content available to me right now outside of pvp pet battle achievements, are 2 alchemy pets and 3 island pets. I am running anywhere from 50-100 islands weekly and going crazy trying to get the last ones I need. All other pets (that I can reasonably obtain) are max level and rare. It just seems silly that these alchemy pets are so much more difficult to obtain through sheer luck than almost any other pet in the game. I think with my friends help I am running 6 x-mutes per week trying to get these pets.
You are among a very small group of people at the end of the collection journey.

While there are many valid personal reasons why / how changes would most assuredly help those players finish part of / that aspect of the game, I stress whole heartedly this and this alone. Does there need to be a change?

While so many people come forward with how changes would help them I have yet to see a serious concern that is game breaking or would alter the market or practice of collecting for any player. If you absolutely need those pets, you can buy or trade for them. You don't want to wait a few months? That is the game. That is what part of this game is. Wanting it fundamentally changed for your personal gain is not an ideal formula which I do see many people suggesting.
Blue Dragonhawk Hatchling.
Another week wasted.
For the love of Baby Winston, this blows sweaty Tauren balls.
See you next week, when I fully expect to get a Manawyrm Hatchling or Ancona Chicken.