Massive stutters with DF client

@pawgwalker

We need some of expertise in here since your a engineer lol!

1 Like

lmfao /10char

Looks like you’re also getting asset pop in, at least with enemies. Hard to tell with objects/trees/rocks since there really arent any where you are.

I think the main thing I can gather is a lot of people simply aren’t noticing it because they’re not graphics junkies like some of us. But you know what, you don’t have to be one to be irritated by this stutter which I’m 100% positive is related to every problem happening here.

1 Like

I appreciate the response, but you having to clarify the recent confusion was a problem created by someone from your team when they merged this thread with one that did not belong here. Please understand that everyone in this thread (who wasn’t a casualty of the pointless thread merging) is here for one issue only, and that is the stuttering that appeared as if by magic the day the pre-patch was rolled out. I think we will all lose our collective mind if you don’t make it clear that this problem is the one your team is working on.

But to be honest, the few remarks you made about this are concerning. Specifically calling out Windows 11 and nvidia as being at the “core” of the issue is particularly baffling when we have a lot of people in this very thread (including myself) that don’t meet one or both of those criteria.

6 Likes

The funny thing is too if you go inside the main building where the aspects are, it’s fine. The SECOND you step outside the main threshold the FPS is cut in half.

2 Likes

Apologies I never responded, busy past few days IRL. So what are you planning to do with this game? I think ultimately, before I unsub, I’m kinda just waiting for a different RPG game to show up that doesn’t suck/have janky graphics issues like WoW or isn’t old af like Skyrim but, it’s been kind of a bare pantry lately. Maybe in early february with that you know what game, that I’m not sold on by any means. Because WB is almost as bad as Blizzard. All their games are rushed too. But at least they seem to make more of a communicative effort to ensure that they’re working on fixing their game and are not in denial about which performance issues need attention IMO. At least they have been for the past couple games. I hate their live service business models though. They’re 1000x worse than Blizzard’s. At least that’s what I’ve seen from them with Multiversus.

It does, doesn’t it? And Blizzard, like some other people here, continue to ignore it’s existence. As if you can’t see a turd floating in the water. Blizzard: Awh, yeah. It’s just a stick! Jump in anyway! And here’s some floaties and boat snacks if you get hungry in there. Or you could just eat the stick!

I’m just wondering what general consensus is for people who aren’t blind towards the glaring asset pop in problems and what their plans are moving forward with this game from this god awful company, which has given 0 assurance or consideration towards looking into this, let alone regarding it’s existence which is. Just textbook definition of insanity but whatever.

Actually, going by the OP, people were also here for the asset pop in. Not just stutters. OP says it right in the first post. I wouldn’t even be here otherwise, as a fair amount of my stuttering is gone – albeit not completely. Definite degrade in frame quality since right before the prepatch. But yeah, I’ve been here for almost 2 months. Complaining about it.

The thread merge is what? I don’t even understand what is even different. I think it’s all part of the same problem at this point. Blizzard just plain sucks now. Don’t see other devs having the same problems. Hilarious, really.

Yep same problem. 3080 ti/i7 12700kf

I am on Windows 10 fully update, nVidia RTX3070 with drivers updated, AMD 5950x.

Been having this issue since the pre-patch and seems to be only getting worse. I’ve tried many tips mentioned in this thread and searched for others but darn thing isn’t getting fixed. As pointed out by MANY, it seems to happen too often when there are more mobs or moving around faster.

As we get into the season next week, this issue will only get even worse. Mythic Plus is on timer and by the nature of it, players tend to do larger pulls and move quickly. A simple example is the gauntlet style waves before last boss in The Nokhud Offensive.

As multiple waves of mobs keep coming and we have to keep moving faster, I’ve had screen frozen due to these FPS spikes and stutters sometimes upto 5 long freakin secs. That’s an ETERNITY in a timer run environment where you also have mobs dropping poison puddles on the ground. Due to these issues, you may end up dead before you can even notice and move.

PS:- The usual, STILL NO FIXED, Frame.xml UI error that’s not related to any addons (that we know of) and has been reported on forums “could” possibly be related to same problem. I’ve seen FPS spikes get worse and frequent after that error pops but those spikes have also been there without any UI error at all.

Fingers crossed this thing is fixed sooner rather than later. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Disabling audio removed stuttering issue for me.

2 Likes

Interesting, do you mean just unchecking “Enable sound” and totally muting the game?

EDIT- Bloody hell, it actually worked. I flew from waking shores to azure span and looped over to valdrakken, not one stutter. NOT. A. SINGLE. ONE!

Valdrakken is still performance hell, but that’s a separate issue. I wonder why audio was the cause, shame I can’t have at least sound effects but if that’s how I can have smooth flying I’ll freakin take it.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I meant, although someone replied and said that disabling just sound effects had the same effect as well.

1 Like

I haven’t had any stutters since I tried to get my settings back the way it was before blizzard changed them all with prepatch “phase 1”. And the way I had it before included no music on, cause blizzard music is trash tbh. Took about 3 days in total. Could explain why I haven’t had stutters since after those 3 days. Thought it mightve been that cvar thing blizz did in a hotfix. but either way, it hasn’t fixed the asset pop in. And from watching other people play wow, doesn’t look like it’s not present for them either. Sad.

Anyway. Might wanna try that with simply no music. Thats all I have off and I don’t really get stutters. Maybe once in a while but not that big a deal. Not like the pop in.

2 Likes

I’ll try that too, I usually have the music at 20% so I won’t really notice it being off.

Glad there’s at least some sort of band-aid for now.

rtx 3070 ryzen 7 5800x 16gb ram 3200mhz and i have low fps on Valdrakken and stutters

1 Like

NO music changed things BIG time!

EDIT: Designate your output device also. Win10/2070/32Ram/i7 8700.

3 Likes

What, you don’t like 45fps and then 20fps anytime you rotate the camera?

1 Like

I’m going out on a limb here, but I don’t think it’s actually my computer itself that’s the issue, as it plays star citizen fine (well when the servers aren’t on fire during a freeflight anyway) and that game is very hard on the CPU side.

1 Like

Thankyou for acknowledging this thread. The fact a bluepost showed up at least tells me we aren’t completely howling into the void.

And if it helps track down the issue any, the stuttering I’ve been experiencing affects both the audio and gameplay itself, but muting the game with the use of Ctrl+s tends to at least smooth it out so it isn’t nearly as noticeable, and it does go away after a time, but it’s a dice roll as to how quickly it clears up.

1 Like

CPU usage isn’t always directly equal in terms of what’s going to stall it from telling the GPU to render.

Probably means WoW’s capping on CPU usage (Pretty sure it will only really use around 4 threads max for the main engine features). To play sounds, it takes some CPU, IO for loading the sounds and then handling by the sound drivers. So if the game is bottlenecking on its threading, it can cause delays in things like processing loaded sounds and then playing them. It can also then cause rendering issues(stutters) when it needs to handle the operations for the sound being played, since it further stalls the CPU side of the engine.

But anyways, the bulk of the remaining stuttering issues have now been confirmed by blues as being mostly a Windows<>GPU driver issue, which I tried to explain many times already. I still say WoW is using a bit too much more CPU though, but that could be tied to the drivers making the CPU handle the multithreading of draw calls(Both DX11(which is 11 on 12) and DX12 in WoW will do this, but not DX11 Legacy). Any remaining issues, outside of the explained scope, are likely system environment issues with things like background softwares, settings and drivers of other components(sound, usb3.0 and network drivers are famous for causing stuttering).