Massive stutters with DF client

That’s been like that for 2+ expansions that I know of, possibly more, if you use certain addons. I think it’s TSM that does it or other addons that hijack the tooltip. They end up doing a bunch of heavy math on tick because that specific tooltip tries to constantly update for the fps/ping metrics. Just tested on the stock UI with no addons and there’s no stuttering while highlighting the ?

WoW is an MMO and is pretty heavily CPU bound. A GPU can only render what the CPU tells it to render. That’s why you’ll see the GPU usage down in the 10-20% range when you’re being bottlenecked by the CPU. You’ll also see the CPU being locked to around 4-6 threads being fully saturated, so whatever percentage of you CPU that is. If you’re on some fancy i9 8 core/16 thread CPU, it will show you as having something like a 15-25% load.

Also, 3080s don’t even make up 2% of the userbase (steam hardware survey). Your average player is using an XX50 or XX60 level Nvidia GPU.

1 Like

I’m curious, I posted another thread, I was in the same boat

Try disabling Maximum Foreground FPS.

I saw an immediate improvement on my side. like 7-8 to 40-50 re-checking the box had the expected effect.

Don’t even need a restart.

There was a bug tied to Geforce Experience that was setting the max foreground FPS to 8(8 should be the background max), make sure to update it if you use it or else it could automatically rebreak the setting again.

I was, I had it happen on two computers, when I transferred my Config.
Even if I set the Max Foreground FPS to 60, the frame rate drops to 7.

What GPU are you using? This could be related to that AMD issue with the 6000 series cards where the clocks go to sleep/deepsleep really easily if there isn’t enough load. I fixed that issue on my AMD PC by making a profile that set the min clock speed a few hunded below the max, while WoW is open.

MSI GS66 built-in 3070 Ti, 3080Ti in an eGPU case, and a 2080Ti in my sons PC.
This fixed it on both of the computers.

Post a DXDIAG of the one you’re on. Also, are you running any addons? Which DX API are you using: 12, 11 or 11 legacy?

I have been having the same issues as others have described ever since the Pre Patch a few months ago. Micro fps stutters that drop my frames by 5 to 10 or so then go back to max FPS when virtually doing anything. Moving, Entering/dropping combat, looting, etc. It’s very noticeable and annoying. Even if I set graphic settings to 1 and load in with no addons to test. Same problem.

Just wanted to add to the immense list of voices in this thread. Hoping for a fix at some point.

matches what I had before disabling the setting I mentioned above.

Are you haunting this thread specifically to pretend to be helpful? This stuttering issue is happening to a lot of people and it’s not just because we’re all running potatoes. Are you just so stubborn that you can’t admit that maybe something else is going on here? Good lord, man. Almost every single one of us can point to the exact date at which point the stuttering became an issue…pre-patch. Is that just a coincidence? What fantasy excuse have you invented that explains that away? Should I download some more RAM?

11 Likes

Happens regardless of settings too. I really wish blizz hadn’t merged a bunch of threads together cause I specifically want the stuttering dealt with, it’s the worst issue by far.

4 Likes

In fact, there were micro statters before the df pre-patch, but definitely not in such quantities, now there is clearly some kind of error somewhere in the code that they cannot or do not want (the latter is more likely) to find.
Maybe it really has something to do with flying the dragon and somehow with the new ui.
I would like to hope that they will still do this and look for the problem, and not just score like with a 100+% rendering with such an excessive wrong load on the GPU.

2 Likes

I would actually postulate that the issue is more obvious when running on a high end system. The reason is that everything is nice an smooth and then BANG the screen freezes for a few milliseconds and then all is smooth again until the next stutter. On a potato PC, frame times are all over the place so specifically picking the stutter attributed to the pre-patch launch issue, is harder.

4 Likes

This pawg lady is off her rocker

2 Likes

I’m Using an asus z590-A, water cooled i9 10900k …and a rtx 3070 xc3 ultra. 32gb of pc 4000, and two 1tb nvme drives. and i stutter so bad at times it disconnects me. Def not my machine, unless scoring 98th percentile on passmark means wow stutters lmao.

Throwing my hat in this ring. I have a msi z490 godlike motherboard, zotac amp halo black edition 3080ti, Vulcan z 128 gb ram at 3200hz, i9 10900k and since pre patch the date everyone started having problems. I have had micro stuttering/ freezing. Every time a player gets loaded by me, the exact same spots in city’s like the gates of org or in Daleran, when crossing zone thresholds when a new spot is entered when traveling around a zone, and dragon isles it’s very bad with zone loads / player loads. It started the same day everyone else’s did so please don’t say it’s our PC I play Back 4 Blood at Sdr 3860 resolutions at 120 fps all settings at max /ultra with no stutters / freezes. Same with Metro Exodus with ray tracing set to max on that. Blizz needs to address and fix this.

6 Likes

I have a AMD 5800X, Corsair 64 GB Ram, 980 Pro 1TB Memory stick, GeForce RTX 3060Ti graphics and the game stutters a lot and every 25 to 30 minutes it freezes completely for 3 to 4 minutes. My character disappears and reappears at random during this frozen time frame. I can sometime alt out of the game open my email and a message, go back to the game and it will free up the game screen 40% of the time. I have turned down graphic setting to good levels. Still happens on both my computers. really annoying. No add on’s

Bump. The game is still playable, but very consistent stutters while running around in the open world. Dungeons seem fine. Valdrakken is especially bad with player load. I can understand low FPS from it being a populated area, however I never experienced these kind of stutters in Oribos or the BFA faction hubs. I can see myself dropping the game if it’s like this for the whole expansion.

6 Likes

It’s all your pcs you need to upgrade to a 4090 to play wow and get a i9 you peasants lol

6 Likes

Haha! If only it were that easy! That way we wouldn’t have to rely on Blizzard’s glacial ability to respond to a problem of their own making.