Massive stutters with DF client

Easily: You have a moving three body problem. Microsoft making OS/DWM changes, Nvidia making driver changes that interact with the OS/DWM changes and Blizzard making a game that interacts with the OS/DWM/driver changes. Technically, there are more factors, but these are the main three players.

2 Likes

Not a windows nor an nvidia gpu user here, same issues persist.

I haven’t tried it yet. However, I would assume that if it had indeed been fixed there we would have received an update from the blue.

But changes made to the engine’s RHI, to deal with Windows/Nvidia issues, can ripple through to other hardware and OS configurations.

Roughly 80% of all GPUs are Nvidia and roughly 97% of all PCs are Windows based(steam hardware survey stats), so I’m pretty sure the RHI is mostly catered toward dealing with those.

This worries me a ton. I really really hope Blizzard did not just implement the partial fix someone in the community found and called it a day especially given how this thread has slowed down.

7 Likes

Dragonflight is dead on arrival if this stutter goes live on November 28th. Flying will be absolutely awful with FPS crashing from 60 to 5 as you fly over towns/cities/players/npcs etc…

Some simple ways to reproduce this bug are to move to the outer ring of oribos in the north section (away from the portals). FPS will be butter smooth 60 fps (or 120 for high HZ monitors). Now run towards the center of Oribos. FPS will tank from 60 to 5 as it loads in players and NPCs.

Start in stormwind portal tower at perfect 60 fps. Fly over trade district towards target dummies. Same thing FPS tanks.

Start on West shore of Mechagon, fly due east over Bondo’s yard and the main mechagon quest hub. Going over NPCs in both Bondos and Town causes similar FPS drop (but not as extreme as oribos).

This has only happened since prepatch.

This is happening on 2 PCs in my house. One is Win 7 / GTX 1660 Super the other is Win 10 / GTX 980. Every other game is running perfect. 3 weeks ago 9.2.7 patch was running perfect.

Issue happens with or without addons.

Somehow this issue is not on the known issues list???

10 Likes

This issue is getting worse. Even in an old world zone like Legion Dalaran doing laps on foot the FPS is stuttering down from 60 to 30 literally every few seconds. Flying from Jade Forest to Sha of Anger the constant repeating stutters drop fps from 60 to 15.

6 Likes

I wonder if this may be a network code issue. I have seen problems like this crop up when blizzard makes under the hood changes to their network code. Old tricks like disable network checksum offloading use to fix data spikes on the cpu. Just a thought.

Not a bad thought, because in Emerald Nightmare raid right now my FPS is butter smooth 60 flat.

Even with 50 mobs on me in hall after nythendra I don’t lose a frame…

Here is a general overview of what to expect at this point when using beta or pre-release software on Windows 11 22H2:

The negative aspect of this is that it coincides with the major release of a cumulative update for Windows 11 (22H2.) IMHO, the vast majority of problems are related to drivers, and the 22H2 release (one of the biggest updates in years.)

The best way to deal with this is to just focus on trying to eliminate problems in succession, until you have a really stable configuration.

Everyone has different hardware and software, which means the outcome is not linear:

What's new in Windows 11, version 22H2 -> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-11-version-22h2

NOTE: Rolling back a patch or fix, is not the panacea people think it is.

Once you have 22H2 installed, the key is to apply the latest cumulative updates, and keep your drivers up to date ( use Windows Update or update offline using Microsoft Update Catalog.)

When you try to roll back an update, you will feel silly when a cumulative update is released that solves the problem.

If you don’t have the latest updates installed, DISM and Windows Update cannot easily repair file corruption by fetching a new version of the same file from Windows Update.

Using offline repairs with DISM and /LimitAccess is also worse, given you need a much larger ISO image that sometimes has almost a year’s worth of patches or more, which will probably be similar to an RTM Image ( that takes up more space, and not just that, you’re wasting time by not using the latest version. )

Here is what helped me:

1. /console cvar_reset gxallowcachelessshadermode
  2. DirectX 11 Legacy => DirectX 11
  3. Graphic Card Autodetect => 1080TI
  4. Disabling Autogear + Auctionator addons

Do any of you guys have advanced combat logging enabled? It’s possible that an addon has tripped it to start recording and I know it takes up a lot of CPU and network bandwith when it’s enabled. I think even if you aren’t logging at the moment, it still increases CPU and network useage though, but I’d have to double check to give a definitive answer.

Wish I could play the game I pay for but alas, can’t even do a bg without freezing up and stuttering around. Not sure how they expect all these people coming back to wow to stick around if a large portion can’t do anything except solo quest or afk in Org. Tried all the fixes other people mention and nope still not fixed.

3 Likes

I’m with you, the community discovered “fixes” are barely noticeable, for me anyway.

My system has more than enough horsepower to run wow, has been silky smooth up until 10.0 Now the stutters make me feel like I’m playing on a potato. I’ll give the game until DF launch to sort itself out and if it doesn’t , I guess this ends 18 years of subscription :tired_face:

5 Likes

Don’t give up hope. Blizz broke something for sure, but these things take time to fix. It might end up being something a driver fixes, you never know.

Does all this mean I’ll be playing FF14 instead of DF? Possibly! The fact that this issue was in beta since the getgo doesn’t fill me with a lot of confidence, but I’m not gonna assume the worst just yet…

Hang in there, and in the meantime we always have this thread to vent in!

Edit: also remember, never preorder anything. Ever

3 Likes

I started stuttering again after it seemed fixed for awhile.

Used the repair tool. And the repair just caused a glitched and constantly looped scanning files and broke the game completely. Causing a complete reinstall (which really sucks with capped data.)

Did some research and this is a common issue. Smh. Even their repair tool is broken.

1 Like

hell i would say just revert it back to Shadowlands, My frames would thank you as im losing half of my performance from my 3090.

I have tried every solution suggested here, I am still having the same issues, I went from steady 60 FPS before the prepatch to having a lot drops. Sometimes the game go as low as 15 - 20 fps :confused: and I bought DF 2 days before the prepatch smh

Can hope they fix it before Df releases.

wow, what a big help you are. why even bother commenting?

3 Likes