Marksmanship's Spec/Class Tree + Overall Discussion

no one would pick it. You’d lose out on all the Pet utility without any gain. It would literally be a detrimental talent.

1 Like

Played around with Talents tonight and found a bug or feature.

So, in the Marks tree you have the serpent sting with Aimed Shot talent. Then in the general tree ypu can get SS as its own shot and then the poison latency or multishot version of SS.

So if you talent into latency, SS applied by Aimed gets that benefit. Unfortunately not the other option. The spread only occurs when you use the actual sting attack

No one would have to “pick” Lone Wolf (beyond simply not calling one’s pet). It’d be baseline again.

1 Like

no one would ever NOT have their pet out, even if it was baseline, because it would still be detrimental.

Lone Wolf is literally just AoE dmg at the expense of utility. Remove the AoE dmg, and it just becomes an expense in utility.

1 Like

Which is, again, only because utility was torn out of the Hunter’s kit and pigeon-holed into the Ferocity/Tenacity/Cunning BS that never should have replaced player choice from Beast Training.

Just return Beast Training in place of no-further-choice Ferocity/Tenacity/Cunning, separate any utility beyond the extra unit with a separate health bar and threat value to again be chooseable and used by the hunter (regardless of pet), and leave Lone Wolf baseline.

1 Like

Yea I got tired of blizzards bs about class fantasy and then they crap all over shamans by giving lust to other classes. I am quite tired of this crap. I just hope I get to ask a wow dev/director a few questions. One would be about Class Fantasy, and the other would be about mail getting a tanking class/spec either hunter or Shaman.

Mop has been said to have the best classes while also having the least class fantasy because everything has everything. In my opinion fun should be more important than rp. If it makes thr game more fun just do it. I mean people said what you are say8ng in mop which caused huge prunes going into wod.
I beleive the wod prunes really hurt the game

I’d say MoP had the best combat, not really the best classes. Everything was a lot more fluid back then, and skills just did dmg, instead of relying on stacked multipliers. All classes had more mobility, and pressing each skill did something.

Class / spec fantasy definitely improved with Legion. But Legion also brought a lot of the “line up everything to be able to do dmg” nonsense we have now.

In my opinion i think MOP had the best combat and the best classes. I loved druid, warrior and warlock back in WOTLK. Legion was okay but i dont know if it was more fun than MOP, legion came off the back of WODs pruning and legion gave us some new toys but never got back to what we had in mop.

MoP was definitely more “fun” but Legion just had very clear class and spec fantasies. Legion made the difference between, say fire and frost mage very clear. Or the difference between MM or BM hunter, etc. I like that about Legion, and I loved the combat fluidity of MoP.

If they could find a good balance with MoP’s mobility and minimal dmg multipliers vs. Legion’s very clear boundaries between each spec, I’d find it ideal.

1 Like

This. Though, I actually kind of like some of those damage multipliers, depending on how they’re utilized.

I prefer, for instance, a (slightly faster ramping) Mongoose Bite over Raptor Strike, even if I find Precise Shots to be largely unwanted bloat.

• Admittedly, I understand the value of Precise Shots as a PvP point of balance in distributing AiS’s overall damage contribution to over 2-3 GCDs per use). Doesn’t mean I have to like Arcane Shot feeling worthless without that modifier.
    • At minimum, I’d prefer to see Precise Shots made a 1-point talent of 30% amp with the baseline being brought up a further 30% (totaling the current 70% amp under Precise Shots), and/or to see a choice node between it and something less invasive.

The main thing I want is more choice, especially for between levels of complexity (with the more complex having more interesting potential affordances and they’re own feels-good tricks and quirks, but only slightly greater average performance overall). It’s good and well that the Trees provide a greater illusion/sense of agency as compared to baseline leveling acquisitions, but if they don’t go the extra step to provide real choice, too, that’s just such a wasted opportunity.

1 Like

Amazing accomplishment, if ANY of your runs were solo.

I’ve never done torghast in a group actually. Sad lol but just enjoy trekkin on

Outstanding!
I’ve always done Torghast solo, but always with my pet. Without my pet, I don’t know I could make even one successful run.
Grats!

1 Like

Perhaps so, but those no-pet ranged weapon users weren’t Hunters! The first Hunter I know of was a Dwarf Hunter and his pet bear, stars in the original WoW cinematic. What spec, idano, but he definitely had a pet helping him. (And a ranged weapon.)

Hmmm… So what’s weird about my fixation on gender? Any Rangers I’ve heard about in this universe have been female. Thus, my description.

As I am not you, I cannot know for sure why you provided me with this information. While interesting, none of it inspires or obligates me to give up the Marksman Hunter spec and become a Ranger.
At the base of things, there are far too many wanttobe “rangers” willing to sacrifice MY pet and playstyle, so as to more fully realize (they think) their fantasy of being the invincible Ranger. The Ranger wanttobe’s would eliminate MM’s pet altogether. I don’t want that to happen.

2 Likes

That shows some very limited information, then. The first Ranger unit was male, with the campaign hero unit (Alleria, essentially the Alliance equivalent to Vol’jin) being female. In WC3, there were ranged weapon of both genders that fulfilled the role and motifs held by Vanilla Hunters.

Being a ranger is not somehow subject to gender restrictions. The Warcraft universe is not a Korean MMO.

So instead you insist that Marksmanship must always be a secondary focus fettered by elements of Beast Mastery, just because your first, highly limited introduction to ranged weapon users in the Warcraft universe was a dwarf with a bear and in Vanilla WoW specs predominantly overlapped? You may as well say then that every Hunter, regardless of spec, must be bearded.

Except, where have you actually seen this? The closest we’ve gotten was a couple people (Jaggles+1, essentially) saying that “if we can’t balance Lone Wolf against pet-usage, then allow MM its own ways to reach pet capacities.” If. The most that has been commonly asked for is just for Lone Wolf to actually work as intended, a means freely available to MM of retaining the total damage and the extrinsic utility of using a pet even when not bothering with a pet, since a pet has nothing to do with Marksmanship.

1 Like

Actually seen it? Legion Beta.
Legion Class Preview, Marksmanship: Marksmen, too, shroud themselves in the perils of the untamed wilds, perfecting the use of weapons that are deadliest from great range. They’ve maintained little interest, however, in gaining the loyalty of the many beasts inhabiting these crude landscapes. Instead, the marksman blends into the surrounding environment, surveying behavior of all manner of predator and gleaning deadly methods for stalking their own prey. A sniper in hiding, the marksman unleashes arrows and bullets with deadly precision, exposing the weakness in whoever—or whatever—passes through their crosshairs .

So you blame the community for this, claiming that there are people on the forum who actively want to remove your pets, and your evidence is… the Blizzard preview of a take on Marksmanship that never made it to live?

I am Telling YOU, Don’t put words in my mouth. You asked a question, I answered it.

I asked where you are seeing “ranger wannabes who would eliminate MM pets altogether” among other players here on the forum. How does an example of neither the same people nor the same time period answer that question?

If you’re going to complain about a group wanting to steal your candy even now, that group should exist (or at least have existed within the last few years), no?