Mana problem

Why has mana become so irrelevant?
Literally we only use mana just for healing ( except mages).
I don’t understand why many spells in game are free to cast, shadow priest is a good example of this, where does this power come from if not from mana.
Spells that do something magical like divine shield, lay on hands, mind flay are completely free whereas hand of reckoning which is just a taunting shout costs 3% of paladin’s mana.

I miss stopping every 2-3 pulls to replenish mana during an instance run. My favorite experience as a pre-Cata raider was gimping DPS and still trying to conserve mana in a boss fight. I loved playing a mana class and running out of mana at the best times. Those times include respawns in the outside world, a tank starts a pull even when I was not ready, and not watching mana during the fights leading up to the boss fights. Blizzard should bring those back in Dragonflight /sarcasm

5 Likes

Hi, my name is Roy, and I’m a Mana addict…

5 Likes

I’m glad you added the sarcasm tag, because I thought you were serious at first. xD

3 Likes

Oh ok then lets remove power costs from all abilities and just click buttons on cd’s.

Unless you are playing specific classes, that’s kind of what you do, my guy.

Show me on the doll where quality of life changes touched you.

1 Like

What I want to say that they have simplified every mechanic. We’re now more dependent on cooldowns than on power. We don’t even care about the gear, hpal and bdk can wear almost the same universal gear, enchants and gems are minor, and professions aren’t needed anymore.

Thank you for showing me on the doll.

Class homogenization absolutely is an issue in regards to individual class fantasy, but the issues you are describing are not simplified just for the sake of it. They are simplified because managing them simply isn’t fun. It is an antiquated design philosophy for an MMORPG that the entire genre has moved on from.

We do care about gear. Immensely. It is, believe it or not, entirely where our power comes from: our cooldowns simply make what we have on our gloriously cartoonish bodies and in our hilariously wristless hands better. The fact that a holy paladin and a blood death knight might rely on the same stats to play their class does not mean they are in any way equitable to what those classes can do with those stats.

While WoW still absolutely remains steadfast, to varying success, on to sims and personal responsibility on DPS charts for fights, the MMO genre as a whole, including WoW, has moved on from the days of Molten Core where bosses simply were gear checks. Mechanics can be quite complex, and the punishment for failing them means almost certainly death-- if not for yourself then more detrimentally for your whole party – on higher end content.

WoW’s core design philosophy has been for quite some time now an embrace of simplicity, but showcasing the skillgap on how difficult it can be to truly master a class or a fight. Compare a run into LFR with a run into Heroic or Mythic content, or for the more casual minded lower M+ keys to the higher keys, and I can guarantee you that you will find that every player must need know and understand their class, simple as their mechanics are, and the complexities of the fight’s mechanics better than lower difficulty content.

If you wanted a game that prioritizes resource management and the like in an RPG, might I recommend a game like Dragon Quest? Especially early on, your resources are vital to your success.

You made an effort to write all this stuff, I’d rather you didn’t.
I get your point. Anyway you assume everything is ok but it’s not. I’m one of the many players that tend to think “Wotkl was the best expansion”. Even though I started playing after the launch of Shadowlands, later on I also started playing on a wotkl private server, so I can compare. Just glance at the statistics, they say wow’s dying, indeed it is.
Let us get back to the very first post, I didn’t say I wanted to chill in the corner with empty mana bar while my team does the whole stuff, I just want the things to be more logical, as simple as that. I dont find free spells logical, at least you agree that any magic needs a source, besides I’d like to see more mana potions, gems, enchants, mana leech spells Idk.
You say managing these mechanics are not fun (maybe they are not) but mythic plus is fun?? Is this the only challenge we encounter? Don’t say you did a key without watching it beforehand or without the use of addons. Imo it shouldn’t be the only challenge.

I always thought they simplified this to make class balance easier, but i’m not sure.

That’s fine you have your opinions on it, and luckily Wrath-Classic is just around the corner for you. Maybe it will have what you are looking for.

But for the record, I never said keys were objectively fun: they can absolutely be an exercise in frustration. However, the classes as a whole are a lot more engaged these days than in the older days of WoW and resource management.

You say the classes are more engaged, I don’t. There are things I like, and things I don’t, for instance I like how Warrior plays, but Paladin ( which is my main class) really sucks (as for me). On the other hand you’re right at some point. The problem is that they have us master what they make, and don’t listen to players’ opinion.