Mal'ganis's Revenge Plot?

Simply put, what happened to it?

Everyone knows the events of Warcraft 3, but few seem to remember that Mal’ganis was actually betrayed by the Lich King/Jailer.

Later it would be revealed that Mal’ganis was actively using the Scarlet Onslaught to get close enough to the Lich King in order to kill him for his betrayal, after his defeat at the Scarlet Harbor, he announces that “I must go to my home world and recharge, when I am at 100%, I will get my revenge on ‘Him’” I do not believe he was talking about the Lich King here, as Mal’ganis would have known full well that killing the Lich King would have just disrupted the Jailer’s plans, in which the player does anyways, almost right after these events.

In Shadowlands it is shown that Mal’ganis has always and will always be loyal to Denathrius his true master, whom was also betrayed by the Jailer, so my question is, why…Why would Mal’ganis be on the Jailer’s side in the new raid?

He has had over a decade long revenge plot, just for it to be ended in 1 patch.

1 Like

Dreadlord Mal’Ganis yells: ENOUGH! I waste my time here. I must gather my strength on the homeworld.

Dreadlord Mal’Ganis yells: You’ll never defeat the Lich King without my forces. I’ll have my revenge… on him AND you!

The fact that he hesitated before stating he’d have revenge on the Lich King suggests that he was solely going to take revenge on us.

We end up giving him even more reason to take revenge on us during Shadowlands which led to him losing.

Beats me. I’m just glad we FINALLY killed him, and that the events of Legion mean that he’ll NEVER come back again. Good long overdue riddance.

Actually that is not entirely accurate, the Dreadlords are basically immortal, as they infused themselves with Fel and became demons, even with Argus gone, they will still beable to regenerate in the Twisting Nether, Argus was kind of a speed engine for them, but he wasn’t entirely needed for them to reform their bodies.

2 Likes

1.) Back then the Jailer wasn’t a thing.
2.) While there could have been tentative plans for Mal’Ganis to reappear in the Icecrown Citadel raid, Blizzard ultimately decided to have the raid focused solely on the Scourge (with one faction fight for reasons).
3.) Even with the new lore with Shadowlands, the Jailer didn’t betray Mal’Ganis. All three Lich Kings (Ner’zhul, Arthas, and Bolvar) were able to ignore Zovaal’s influence and/or commands and do their own thing. This defiance and inability to command them, as the Lich King did the Scourge, is what made Zovaal realize that he needed a willing agent on his side to conquer Azeroth, hence Sylvanas.

While he did kill Mal’Ganis, he is a demon and as such would reborn within the Twisting Nether. All taking out Argus did was prevent demons from having a quicker resurrection and rallying point. So demons will still resurrect, but it will take longer, and the location of their resurrection will be rather random.

Though with that said, the door is open for Blizzard to declare Mal’Ganis and Kin’tessa as having experienced their final deaths. The Zereth sites have a back door connection with one another, a connection that Zovaal was trying to use to spread his Domination magic in order to enslave all of reality to his will. So it could be theoretically possible that the backdoor to the demon Zereth site, presumably within the Twisting Nether, would have bleed out and ensure their permanent deaths. Alternatively as the Zereth sites are the Frist Ones workshops, they could have made their realms in a way that would trigger the final death of any of the cosmology beings that died within it.