Making Solo Farming in Old Legacy Raids Less... Annoying?

I do A LOT of legacy raid farming so this thread is right up my alley!

Thanks to the posters above for their well thought out and thorough discussions! I couldn’t have laid it all out as well as they have and am glad that they took the time to do so.

I might be a bit masochistic here but I actually like that it takes a bit of time to clear the content. With that said a run speed boost built into the legacy content flag seems like a good solution, the walking certainly is scenic but slower than feels good.

I’m not a fan of the idea of a port to the last boss to one shot it for a quick dice roll on a mount. This is a game and playing the content is still important even if the content is trivialized. There comes a point where you’re not too far off from walking up to a buch of vendors in the middle of Org and Stormwind and just buying items off a vendor for 1g each. It’s at some point no longer playing a game and just having items show up in your bags for nothing.

This is what I would like to see:

• Make all legacy raid and dungeon achievements and meta achievements soloable.
  • Make sure all encounters are soloable. Most of them are already with some creativity.
  • Fix the still buggy things such as the bridge cut scent from Throne of Thunder that you can’t cancel, others are listed above.
  • Change the raid locks to daily or every three days from weekly.
  • Change the drop rates such that nothing is sub 1% or so. After 100 runs you should get what you’re after. (Grasp of the Old God for the Mage set off of C’Thun is my most frustrating example, 5 years of farming and no belt…)

I like running old content and hate when I can only chase a particular item once a week, I’d like to focus on something and be able to do the content more than once a week on content that currently has a week long lockout.

Id rather run it more than once than have the drop rate made super common. I use these activities to kill time, almost literally I have the opposite point of view on legacy content as I do on current content. On current content I’m very frustrated when things aren’t account wide, or I have to do the same quest lines 16 times to do the content I’m trying to do. Old content is what I do when I literally just don’t feel like thinking or trying at anything and want to watch vids while running through old raids to see what I can get. Spending time at this is OK, just year+ long grinds get really painful. 20-60 runs for anything should be a good target.

With that said, having to play almost the entire BoA expansion to get the Arcanist’s Manasaber mount is obnoxious. Legacy objectives shouldn’t still be gated behind an entire expansion worth of achievements; but yes I do want it to take SOME time and not just be a one shotted loot bag tied to a dice roll.

14 Likes

I’d rather see more efficiency in each run (time spend and drop chances) than turning raid farming towards this burnout end. If you could farm a raid each day, each day lost feels like fomo. A similar scenario already plays out when camping the MoP world bosses with 10s of chars.
I did it with a few mounts from heroic 5mans (ZG, Utgarde Pinnacle) for some time and doing that on a daily basis was already a lot.

It could even be a more ideal scenario when you could encounter these 1% drop bosses in a challenging version either in timewalking or solo play and have a high or even guaranteed 100% chance on those drops. Spending a few hours on a 100% reward is probably more welcome for most players than running up to one-shot a boss 100 times.

10 Likes

To be fair I also said that everything should be obtainable in 20-60 kills not to exceed 100 (based on a 1% maximum rarity). That doesn’t seem too overwhelming; and with faster resets people wouldn’t be time-gated as much going after what they want.

5 Likes

I don’t particularly agree with this, as I do enjoy the farming aspect as do a lot of people.

But making it so it doesn’t get… Excessive would be nice. Like I know someone in one wow discord that has an INSANE amount of kills on Sha of Anger across a couple accounts. I think it was at like 28,000 last time I saw them post? (which is almost 11 years of weekly attempts with 50 characters, btw, but I don’t know how many he does it on)

Like I don’t mind say 60-80 attempts but once you start getting higher it becomes a nuisance.

7 Likes

Great topic

I am totally on your side, old stuff should be soloable, especially achievements. I am still missing many of them because I often play, when there are not many players online and no groups for such achievements. I can solo the BFA 5 man mythic dungeons but i can’t do some achievements like the last one in Atal dazar because you need atleast 4 people :confused:

And addons getting longer and longer these days so you have to wait even longer before you can clear older raids solo. I am also very annoyed by all the RP Stuff in instances like Siege of Ogrimmar because it costs a lot of time.

I like the idea of changing raid locks for old instances too, so you don’t need an alt army to farm as much as u can because of id locked chars.

6 Likes

I would love for these to be account-wide. Or if that’s not possible, a skip to the end after you’ve killed the boss in legacy loot mode would also be nice. The current system just means that I have alts whose quest logs are clogged with multiple different skip quests in various states of completion.

This would make me super happy as it would also mean that I don’t have to use my limited bank slots for maintaining a speed set.

Having the Garrosh shoulders drop twice in one week on two separate clothies literally made me not want to touch the game for a week. Having everything learnable account-wide would be perfect, but I agree that making the super rare items cosmetics would already be a great change.

This is something I also mentioned in the Dungeon and Raid Solo Accessibility for Old & Current Content thread: the massive health pools and mechanics just create a level of tedium that seems unusual for content from (almost) two expansions ago.

Whereas I’m not a very big achievement hunter myself, I do think they’d benefit from retuning once they’re legacy content. I might actually give some of them a go myself if they were doable solo - one of the big things that’s holding me off is that I know I can’t do them all, so I’d rather just not actively try - seeing 8/10 of a meta-achievement completed with no way to simply go and do them will just make my brain itchy.

My pally’s been sitting on this quest for years, this would be such a welcome change.

10 Likes

I also do a lot of legacy raid / dungeon farming for t-mogs and I echo the thoughts and ideas expressed.

The main thing that annoys me the most about farming old content is rings / relics / trinkets / necks. I know some people need these for mage tower and other content so keeping them in is fine, but I wish there was a loot toggle to say “Transmog Items Only”… I don’t even mind if it means less loot being award or something. It’s just so annoying and disheartening to see nothing but necks / rings drop when you are desperately after that final piece to complete a set

Some bosses having mechanics that means they cant be done solo, or cant be killed by certain classes is something that should be addressed.

I think bonus rolls for older raids need to be easier to buy / locate or just unify the bonus rolls under a new currency that you buy for gold?

11 Likes

Oh definitely this! Would be great if we could also get the cap from older bonus roll items removed once the raid(s) that they’re tied to become legacy content.

6 Likes

I do a lot of legacy farming and I agree with some of the concerns, but I don’t think the way to go about it is to change the content itself by adding random RP skips, damage buffs, speed buffs, loot table changes, etc. I think the legacy damage buff you already get feels a bit strange already. They are bandaid fixes and largely invisible to a new player, and I am not a fan of that.

As you mentioned, a large part of the player base enjoys legacy farming as their main content. I think Timewalking should be expanded into a greater system that will house all of these perks and provide some backbone for legacy farming. There are ways to solve many of these problems by adding a comfy progression system on top of the legacy raids instead of arbitrarily changing them one by one.

Things like bear tartare effects, damage increases vs low levels mobs and bosses, legacy bonus rolls, raid skip unlocks and tracking (instead of a questline you did 10 years ago), legacy raid portals, perhaps an ability to reset a legacy raid lockout mid-week, etc., can all be unlockable (not necessarily grindy) perks of the system instead of randomly tossed in the game when you enter a legacy instance. These are just off the top of my head, I’m sure a lot of fun “talents” can be added to such a system when given the thought.

To be clear I am not 100% against ALL bandaid fixes. Sometimes they are warranted, the relic drops being a good example of this. But things that are just “there” like old raid skip questlines and the legacy damage buff can be concrete objectives that can be worked towards to not only give a sense of progression but also provide a place where they can be canonically and visibly explained.

6 Likes

Another thing I don’t know if that is intended, but not very cool. Trash loot from Hellfire Citadell onwards is still personal loot, while Bosses are legacy loot.

This makes it very hard to obtain certain trash drops because you can’t loot every single trash mob and even if you get an boe its only for your armor class.

11 Likes

…that explains so much. I was wondering why I’ve only received a single BoE for all of my running of Legion raids.

3 Likes

This is more of a problem from T17 (WoD) onwards. On the other hand you also don’t get that many BoEs in other raids prior from my experience. Then again: Getting the belt for the hc/mythic TOS plate set is either 6 digits on the AH or Mission Impossible.

Bit late to the party here, but that just means less to write for me :>

I’d definitely like some skips in certain raids, like SoO. The really long raids are really painful to do when you just need something from the last few bosses.

Yes please :> It would be neat if a “legacy loot mode” toggle was available in loot settings, which would help alleviate all loot woes of the past; making legacy items ignore personal loot, making all items cosmetic, preventing duplicates from dropping, some bad luck protection… just as a few suggestions! I’ve advocated for bad luck protection before for those of you who missed out on that disaster ;>

I think these can be annoying, yes, but I also don’t think they’re the worst thing in the world. They’re part of the game and I think they make the world feel more immersive. That being said, adding an NPC that you can talk to in order to skip speeches could be a cool solution.

I’d be very happy to see most, if not all glory achievements soloable, or at least doable with a very small group, or straight up removing the ones that specifically require group play from the meta-achievements. It’s really hard to find groups to do these achievements if you’re not already in a big guild with likeminded folks.

This!! Shorter lockouts really play on the psychological need to be effective and can cause a lot of harmful behaviour when attempting to be efficient, and simply adding more chances to get a rare item doesn’t really help with the problem. The main issue with low-droprate items is the labour you put into getting them, not necessarily the time spent (although time is of course a factor in labour). We need better labour, not more of it. That’s where things like the improvements discussed in this thread come in :>

7 Likes

I will have to agree with most of what Loganp has said. I don’t exactly think that, suddenly, legacy content should be trivial in every scenarios. But I really enjoy the idea that systems can be put behind it in order to make it fun.

This reminds me a lot of a Reddit post I’ve seen a while back, where someone brought up the idea of having some sort of a talent tree (similar to the ones we had for the Visions of N’Zoth, Chromie’s death scenario, Cypher of the First Ones, etc.) designed to buff players in legacy content, with some of the ideas mentioned on this thread: ability to learn mogs on any toon, increased movement speed, etc.

I’d like to point out that big changes like this won’t necessarily make everyone happy. While I’m sure some players would be glad to see someone having better chances at looting Invincible, regardless of whether or not they already have it for themselves, others may feel bad for having spent so much time grinding for it. And when everyone has that one cool item, it doesn’t feel as much cool to have it anymore. At which point legacy content and items obtainability becomes so trivial that they may just as well add every item to a vendor?

I do think that these ‘‘1% drop chance’’ (or lower) cosmetics aren’t really fun. While I’m still on the fence about changing legacy content, I’d like to look ahead in the future. Is Dragonflight going to be another expansion filled with rares with bad spawn timers, terrible drop rates on cool items, raid achievement that require a full 20-man to complete?

There are however, definite improvements for legacy content I’d like to see. Shorter respawn times on rares and world bosses, removing some unsoloable achievements from metas, or being able to collect armor mogs regardless of class (I was genuinely scared to farm Garrosh’s mount on alts that could not equip his shoulders, in case they dropped).

Raid skips, notably, could very well be implemented. Especially when people found workarounds like sharing lockouts between alts for Mimiron’s Head or Invincible. Raids like DS and SoO also take an unnecessary amount of time due to RP you may have heard 100+ times already.

Items like artifact relics could simply be added to the ‘‘extra’’ loot table we already have in-game, like how conduits drop in Shadowlands. Arguably, same could be done for rings, necks and trinkets as they’re not usually farmed by people but still provide a value for twinks.

As for the rest, things like increased movement speeds, raid teleports, dedicated extra bag spaces for legacy items, etc. could be fun ideas to put behind yet another system that can be both refreshing for veteran collectors, or used as an incentive for people who never really bothered farming old content to try it out.

6 Likes

Difficulty Preservation

When it comes to WoW and other MMOs most of your difficulties can be broken into two categories:

• Skill-Based Difficulty
  • Time-Based Difficulty

One of the best examples of this is the typical end-of-the-mythic-raid mounts. Raids that clear the content while it is current are guaranteed 1 or 2 mounts from the boss. Depending on when this raid tier is available, some may come back later in the same expansion to reclear with better gear. So, to a small degree, the availability of these mounts may get easier (skill-wise) depending on the details. However, whether it is at the beginning of the expansion or the end of the expansion, it still requires a significant amount of skill.

Now, once this same raid becomes legacy content, the mount-drop chance changes from 100% to 1%. For the first year or so, you will still need a group of people to clear the content. However, instead of 20 people, you may only need 10 or 15 (again, depending on timing, gearing, group overall skill, etc). So, you still need people to know some degree of the fight, but mistakes can be made, and some fight mechanics can be ignored (though some may still 1-shot a player). At this point, there is a transition of skill-based difficulty and time-based difficulty (in other words, it’s a little of both).

The trade here, is that the content has become easier with respect to skill, but the odds of you seeing that mount-drop has drastically reduced – raising the time-based difficulty. As the content becomes older and older, you will need less and less skill, but you are still paying in time with RNG and on a macro-level. What I mean with ‘macro level’ is that if you would like to have the lowest skill requirements, and simply solo the content, then you may need to wait a year or two. This is still time spent waiting, but not necessarily playing the game. In addition, you are not guaranteed the mount, so it may take quite a bit of gameplay time too.

The reason this is important is because difficulty should be reasonably preserved. I say ‘reasonably’, because it is a rough judgement call and not a perfect science (and due to the various input factors, it never will be). For example, there are 4 mounts that can drop from BfA dungeons, and these mount’s drop rate are roughly the same today as they were 2 years ago. However, during BfA you could run mythic dungeons as often as you want, because of the M+ seasons. Today, you may be able to solo that content, but only once a week.

Here, again, your difficulty is roughly still preserved, because despite a lower need for skill and being able to solo it in 5 or minutes, you are limited on a macro-level.

The Assumption that Older Content is Less Valuable is Flawed.

So, let me say here, that I don’t believe you are saying mounts, transmogs, pets, toys, achievements, titles, and etc are less valuable than current content items. However, there are many posts across social media that are similar to this one, leveraging the misconception that just because an item has been in the game for 2 years or 17 years, it is less valuable. Again, I don’t think you are saying this, but I want to make sure to state this assumption is flawed now, so that we can build on it going forward.

Skips

In short, if skips are available in current content, then they should carry-over to legacy content. This is already in the game, so that statement may not even be necessary. However, I do think there is room for improvement here. These skips start as quests – the same type of quests that are limited to 25 per character for who knows why. Honestly, if I can take a moment here, my request would be to remove quest limitations or break up the limitation by expansion. There is no reason for there not to be a tab system where you have your Burning Crusade quests in one tab and your Legion quests in another tab. (I am sure there is a technical reason, but conceptually I would be very interested to know why this could not be done.)

Anyway, adding new skips to old raids has a devaluing aspect to it. For example, at one time you could share lockouts within Heroic ICC, then they removed that ability. Understandably, right? You completely skip the time requirement to get that item, thus devaluing the item, because it takes much less time to get something that took a bit of skill to have the chance to earn when current. And again, from those who ran the entirety of the raid once it was legacy. So, my push-back here would be if you can’t be bother to spend 15 minutes clearing ICC or 45 minutes clearing SoO, then maybe you don’t really care about that item as much as you think you do.

Naturally, this will lead into the conversation, “Well, I have cleared ICC 1000 times, and I still don’t have the mount. So, I clearly want it.” This is fair, but needs to be addressed with a different topic in mind – bad luck protection. I don’t want to get into that here because it could derail your topic. But adding skips for people who can’t be bother to spend 10 – 15 minutes in an instance, sounds like paving a road for people who are unwilling to drive.

Speed

I want to make sure we are talking on the same terms here. When you say, “…it becomes a very, very long run for classes who aren’t very mobile.” If we are being honest, this difference in speed is going to be 3-5 minutes at the most, and many times less than that. Also, if you really want a faster experience, you can craft gear with speed on it. If you are not utilizing the crafted gear, then I would find it hard to advocate for more movement increases.

At some point, someone will utilize everything and move around dungeons at 400% speed, which would be fun, but also broken. So, I don’t know for sure if more speed is absolutely better.

Armor Types

I absolutely disagree with this. As a player, you have a decision to not only make but also maintain for the time that you are in that instance. If you take a druid into SoO and the Tusks of Mannoroth drop, then that is on you. You made a judgement call that those shoulders would not drop while on your druid, and then you continued making that decision for the next 45 minutes. This is asking Blizzard to protect you from your own decisions. And I would be very wary of pushing Blizzard to introduce elements of behavioral control for everyone just because some people like to live on the edge and kill Garrosh on anything other than plate. This attempt at behavioral control is one of the reasons we have a 10-instance-per-server lockout to begin with.

Also, if I could run though dungeons with a druid and pick up everything, then why would I entertain the thought of running with any other class?

Legion Dungeon and Raids

As much as I disagree with the previous point, I agree with this one and I would like to take it a step further.

I can only base this off my personal experiences, but I feel like there is a technical bug regarding doubling, tripling, quadrupling, and centupling drops. The frequency of seeing 4 copies of 1 item and 2 copies of a 2nd item, seems unnaturally high – especially for bosses that have 40+ items on their loot table. These encounters seems fairly common in Legion raids, but also older raids like Dragonsoul, Naxxramas, anything in MoP, and etc.

Furthermore, while I do like the idea of increasing or decreasing your odds of relics while having your artifact with you, I am still curious why Legion bosses only drop 1 item. Legion is the only expansion where this occurs, so it would be nice to see the quantity in drops a little more consistent across the expansions. If that is not possible, it would be nice to at least know why.

RP Speeches

I can understand the frustration here. It is similar to having to fly back and forth for your MoP extra loot coins simply because there is an arbitrary and antiquated cap of 20 coins. Building off my previous points, you could say this is just part of the time-based difficulty transition, but I think you could make a valid point that no actual gameplay is really happening here. Most of the time for RP like this, people tend to tab out like they do on flightpaths.

I don’t have much of a additional suggestion here, but I can definitely sympathize.

Legion Raid Solo Ability

I agree that the scaling of legacy did not really scale well for legacy content when we were shifted from level 120 to level 50. However, I think we should be specific in what types of changes are being requested. For example, in Hellfire Citadel, it was impossible to solo Gorefiend, because a mechanic would activate that would pull you into another phase causing the encounter to despawn. The mechanic initiated so early in the encounter even for character that could easily solo the last boss. So, those types of chances need to happen.

On the other hand, if someone is taking massive damage due to the boss’s power, their own ilvl, or maybe their own character level, then that is a player problem and should be incentivization to develop your character further or team up with others. If you are getting wrecked on legacy content, bring a friend or two. Maybe post in group finder. Maybe post in the local General channel.

So, in short, would it be nice if you could go through and solo all raids from 2+ expansions ago if you are a moderately (Normal raid level ilvl) geared? Sure. And if that is a goal going forward, I am all on board. However, I have seen people complain that they could not solo Mythic Antorus on their 174 ilvl Rogue. I just think there needs to be a middle ground of expectations from development and players alike, followed up with consistency from one expansion to the next.

Returning to Time-Based Difficulty Content

The reason I dove into the discussion of preserving difficulty content, is that there needs to be a core driver for changes being made. Otherwise, changes and adjustments will be random, sporadic, and inconsistent. Preserving the difficulty also roughly preserves the value of the items being sought after – which is what you want for any game you play.

In other words, many of the suggestions here are only good for the individual player but takes no consideration for the game and other players in the game. Sure, the players that can’t be bothered to clear SoO for the Tusks of Mannorth will benefit, because they would be able to 1) Skip to Garrosh, 2) Sprint there in half the time, and 3) do this on their druid, because their warrior might be a bit slower. How would you justify this to people have put in the time and skill (depending when they received it) for the Tusks of Mannoroth? And all this for those who don’t care enough about items to put in the effort themselves?

Let me see if I can put this another way: Let’s say that I really, really want the Mythic tier variants of Castle Nathria for my Death Knight, but I told you that I don’t like doing content more difficult than the equivalent of M+5. In this hypothetical, let’s say that I find completing content that is more difficult than M+5 requires too much min/maxing, time, and effort. Furthermore, the guild I am in wants me to have 3 separate classes to be able to switch between to run with them. However, I don’t like leveling, so I tell them no. So, I am unwilling to level other characters, I am unwilling to deep-dive into min/maxing gear, and I find content above M+5 unreasonably difficult. At this point, it would be unfathomable for me to then say, “I want Mythic Castle Nathria gear, please reduce the difficulty level to match my effort level.” That is what is happening with legacy raids and other suggestions like account-wide Balance of Power completion.

So, if we didn’t reduce the skilled-based difficulty of content (aside from feasibility adjustments) when it was current, then we don’t need to reduce the time-based difficulty of content when it is legacy. Some people have more skill than others, and they reap the rewards. Other people have more time than others, and they also reap rewards. In every facet of the game will their own respective extremes - Mythic level raid gear, Elite PvP sets, gladiator mounts, Love Rocket, Battle Pet Dungeons, Tusks of Mannorth, Invincible, and the list goes on.

2 Likes

Yet anyone can access Blackhand & Archimonde Mythic within 1 minute of entering these raids. And this expansion is directly following up the comparatively long SoO clear.

9 Likes

The difference here is that these skips have been there since it was current. SoO and ICC did not have these skips while they were current. So, there is no difficulty change.

I would love to see some updates to older content, like quicker world boss respawns, or skips for marathon raids like Siege of Throne of Thunder. Maybe bring back Karazhan’s original skip?

A little TLC might go a long way to making legacy content more appealing to people interested in collecting, that might be otherwise daunted by just how inefficient some older raids and dungeons are in regards to time investment.

There’s even a recent example of this, the skip added to TBC Classic Black Temple.
Why not add that to retail, and branch out from there?

13 Likes

Just to bring this back up and to touch on this point:

Is there a reason the quicker World Boss respawns you have introduced in the past few expansions has not been extended backward to MoP and WoD world bosses that people still kill weekly, usually on multiple toons, for the mounts they can drop? Having to wait 15 minutes for a boss to respawn sucks, when there’s multiple bosses we need to kill for farming.

On that note, this is from a popular person in the Secret Finders Discord:

Do you guys, as developers, genuinely think it’s okay that people can have 17,500 attempts on a mount and still not have it?

Most other modern MMOs have a guarantee - if you don’t loot something in like 100 attempts (I’m not saying 100 is the magic number, just using it as an example), you are guaranteed to loot it on your next kill. Why is something like this not being added to WoW? We aren’t asking for handouts, but we’re asking that our hard work have a guarantee payout if we put in a proportional amount of effort.

18 Likes

I would consider 17000 attempts hard work and get it when its guaranteed after a certain number of drops a handout.

1 Like