Making boost and mount a "mandatory" package, bad idea?

Seeing as the deluxe edition for TBC (idk why they’re calling it deluxe edition as we don’t need to buy the game in first place) contains both boost and mount, the price was set to 70$. Yep, seventy buckaroos.

Which means that anyone wanting a mount would have to buy a boost, even if they don’t it or need it.

Do you think they would’ve sold much more if they made mount seperate thing, or did like mount + toys + pet for 40$? Or mount for 25$, and package of mount + pet + toys for 35-40$? Rather than sticking in boost that no one on retail cares about, and most of Classic players don’t care about.

Feels like one of those moments where someone tries to sell something for way more than it’s worth, and ends up selling none or barely any of it, rather than tons of it for lower price.

I’ve got most mounts from the store, and even paid for RAF transmog and mount, which was 12 months of subs, but I can honestly say I’d never pay 70$ for this mount. If it was 25$ or smthn, sure, not expensive, but adding in a boost that someone who mainly plays retail doesn’t care about is just 1 sale less here. Is it really worth it? Will the amount of people paying 70$ make up for losses of all potential customers that would’ve paid 25$?

Decisions like this makes me feel like there’s more people on Classic than on retail, if they’re willing to throw away retail consumers to lure more Classic players into buying a package. Though Classic players aren’t fond of microtransactions in general.

Feels like a bad move any way you look at it.

3 Likes

The mount is primarily meant for Classic players. The fact it has a retail equivalent at all is just a bonus and likely a way from them to justify the high price tag. Otherwise charging $25 for a mount with 2007 model is gross.

Classic players aren’t fond of microtransactions and store mounts, if i was Blizzard I’d be aiming for retail players primarily, and seeing Classic as secondary here.

They get tons of money from 35$ cloning thing as is, so guess a mistake here doesn’t matter too much, but still feel they’re losing a good portion of profits by aiming this mount mainly at Classic playerbase.

I know lot of people who will pay for cloning, especially ones who did Naxx, but not one looking to buy boost or mount.

If you want to milk Classic players, you do it with cloning, and something with gold as they do buy tons of gold, so tokens are like thing to slide in few months in. It’s just baffling how much gold buying happens in Classic, and none seem to get banned.

I mean the retail version is an updated model but still the whole package is absolutely disgusting and I can’t even be mad because they’re going to make so much money off of it.

some

Some players aren’t. I’m all for optional cosmetics, personally. I mean the subscription hasn’t gone up in nearly 17 years for anyone paying with USD. It’s been the same subscription price I’ve been paying since I started playing this game back in 2005.

And now I get two games under that subscription.

But whatever, if I don’t think something on the shop is attractive to me, personally, I don’t have to get it, and it doesn’t change the game for me in the slightest. I’m not being held back in my own personal progression at all by not spending money on the shop, which can’t be said for most other games with microtransactions.

I’m happy with how they handle this, personally. If I had any complaint, it would be how little of this profit goes to the creators of my favorite game.

Wish they’d both staff and pay that staff appropriately for these games.

2 Likes

i guess the servers will be nothing but warlocks at max level

If TBC is any indicator, you aren’t far off. :sweat_smile:

Apparently, Warlocks and Boomkins will be kinda nuts. But that might be speculation, who knows.

I’m assuming that this is to help pay for the things associated with supporting, developing and maintaining TBC Classic. I really don’t have a big issue with this, especially when the goodies you get seem really nice. Though, I’d love it if the toys you get were for both classic and retail.

You mean subscriptions? That’s what pays for maintaining.

TBC cost 3-4 million to keep up at it’s peak, with 2-3 times more players than WoW has today, and made near 100 mil in profit, monthly.

And now they have TBC as whole, no content to make, just keep servers running.
This is 1-2 mil at most to keep up, of which subs cover quite easily.

This is corporate greed, not necessity.

1 Like

This is unrealistic.

Is it? Trying to lure players interest in mount into buying a boost, just to get more $$?
And vice-versa, trying to push players interested in boost into paying a little more to get mount? And counting that anyone on retail wanting this mount has to pay 70$, even not using any of TBC parts of this package.

It’s greed, plain green. Preying on whales and playerbase in general.

Yeah, I saw that data compiled somewhere as well.

Yes, it is unrealistic. If they were greedy, they wouldn’t offer the game for free. Everything else is a bonus, and you aren’t obligated to buy any of the bonus items to enjoy the base game.

1 Like

I think they are trying to lure in the non classic puritans, a boost is a world of difference in classic, thats days-weeks of time shaved off of the get to play with friends goal, its not really a bad thing, but the people that play it for classic experience will see it that way

People like that won’t find much fun in TBC, as leveling is main content for that type of people.

But Blizz wins by having them buy boosts, so good on them.

Is my mind the only one that went to the gutter when they read the title?

Anyone? Bueller?

1 Like

yeah, i dont play classic enough to say if its a good call or bad one, but perspective wise classic’s new was wearing off and the player base was dwindling, so hope this will breath some fresh blood in to BC and allow the raid teams to pick up more steam again

1 Like

It’s basically a momentary gain. After 2 months, or 4 at most, TBC will die down to people who are really into that, and that type really hates microtransactions, I ran with some sweaty guilds that played through whole Classic, they don’t even transmog on retail, all people like that care about is stuff they earned through playing.

Only way to capitalize on that type is subscription (for main and alt accounts) and tokens if they are bold enough to do that.

But this… Mount and boost… This is like something they can profit from only at launch from people who won’t stick around for long. If that’s what they’re counting on, should’ve hyped TBC up more, because the hype for TBC is kinda dead for most part. I was excited a f in february, or january, but now I just… don’t care. Will probably play, but hype is gone.

1 Like

it’s called “best value” in mobile games

You know what’s a bad idea? Wording your post to imply that a luxury microtransaction is somehow ‘mandatory’.

2 Likes