Make dungeon/aoe easier to understand

By using color outlines and highlights.
Green color you stand in.
Red color is death or serious injury (safety first).
Blue color is conditional, you may need to soak.

The problem with WoW is that it has way too many mechanics. There are tons of mechanics you don’t stand in, and a few you do, making wipes on soaking parts all the more common.

10 Likes

I feel that may be a good learning tool for extreme beginners but ultimately if you can enable something like that it’s just another crutch for people to depend on.

This game requires reactions to be met.

1 Like

Why not have crutches? Or consistency?

I mean the fights are figured out months before they hit live servers anyway. Anyone who cares about performance or getting fast clears already knows what to do for most abilities. Everyone else has the dungeon journal.

It would probably be a lot of work to go back and change old stuff but maybe going forward they could agree on one set of rules /animations.

They seem to have already when it comes to red outlines. I think for the most part they’ve stopped changing colours or using dust clouds.

The challenge is execution, not so much remembering which animation they used this time to mean “don’t stand in dumb”

1 Like

I think it would be ok in things like LFR, but when we start doing normal, heroic, mythic, etc… I feel those crutches should be removed. Higher skill == better rewards.

And the fights may be figured out months in advance by some, but not by many at all.

3 Likes

I’ve raided at all difficulty levels.

Most average mythic raiders either have access to beta/ptr or watch guides.

Heroic is more into guides or a leader that can explain it.

Progressing on a boss fight is usually waiting for all the objectives/timings to align in everyone’s heads. Sometimes it’s meeting tight dps or heal checks (dropping healers to add more dps, timing raid cds)

I don’t think it’s usually held up by people asking “was green good or bad again?” more like “oh crap I stood in the thing I already knew was bad” or “I didn’t have defensive/immunity ready”

2 Likes

My point stands. If they give us more crutches than we already have this game is going to turn into Star Wars galaxies the NGE version.

Aka, everybody gonna be raiding in mythic. Gotta have some skill requirement.

1 Like

You play FF14, don’t you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

You think your opinion might stand, but we already have the biggest crutches in voice coms, guides and add-ons like weak Auras.

Weak Auras can almost hand hold you through most mechanics at this point tbh.

Edit: I think most mythic raiders would love there to be more people raiding mythic. The numbers have been falling these past expansions.

Having consistent colours on similar mechanics is not going to make Joe LFR suddenly good at raiding.

2 Likes

As long it doesn’t take away the graphical effects like how they appear when they show up. I’m fine with it, plus it may help exactly where you can position yourself. Times during Maut fights, I get myself killed because I’m not “standing” exactly where it wants me to be.

That’s what I mean. If we add any more to the game you’ll have filthy casuals like me running around easily in mythic gear.

Do you not want this game to have some form of a challenge? I respect the people that can do mythic raiding. I’ve never been able to do it. Never put in the time.

1 Like

Mythic gear is there for anyone who puts in some time and effort.

It’s large parts turning up and utilising resources. From there you just have to follow a rotation helper and you too can get cutting edge before next tier releases.

Such a bad idea. FFXIV can do that for you if its something you want, but WoW does not in any way need a street light hand holding system.

3 Likes

I don’t like that though which is why I’ve raided a little bit of heroic at best. I don’t want to use a ton of different addons to tell me how to play the game.

I play on my own terms. Learn my own rotation. Learn and understand the boss fights myself. I never have really put much into it as again I’m casual, but that’s just how I play.

The crutches could be optional as it wouldn’t hurt anybody. I just don’t like to dumb things down more. It reminds me of past MMO SWG and that destroyed the game.

That’s why I’m so salty about it.

No, instead, we have add-ons do it!

2 Likes

It should start as blue but it starts turning red until players step in.

You don’t even need addons, unless you don’t ever want to learn or get better. Just look at what you are doing it’s not rocket science.

2 Likes

Most bosses could be winged with enough skill, but they like to throw in the odd boss that damn near requires crazy weak Auras or spreadsheet planning every now and again.

I just don’t see this as being a big issue. The journal already tells you what the spells do. It’s just a matter of matching the graphic to the mechanic, which isn’t some huge task.

I could tell you right now a purple circle on boss X needs to be soaked. I can tell your entire raid 13 times. It still might take you 400 pulls to kill it.

I just think making mythic raiding easier to get into is better for the raiding community.
And green /red rings aren’t going to equal easy clears.

Old Republic is waiting for you, then! They do this color thing you speak of.

In WoW, get add-ons like GTFO and Big Wigs. And watch videos, read journal. Problem solved.

1 Like

Yes, heard this argument for years and several expansions.

You might be surprised to learn that Blizzard actually now designs its raids with the expectation that people will be using add-ons.

If it reduces the number of wipes due to stupid deaths I’m in. I don’t understand why is everyone so high and mighty about I need this to be face meltingly hard. They would still have to do the mechanic this is would just be a good design element to give a visual cue of how to handle it.