Major issues with macOS Catalina beta

Tried to see if there was a particular issue listed that I have, which is this strange “pixelation” or “glitter” that shows up when I’m using integrated graphics (Iris Pro 655, MPB 13"). It doesn’t seem to appear in other games, like Diablo, nor does it appear with I use an eGPU; only when using integrated graphics. Anyone else notice this?

So is WoW working with Catalina? They GM was pushed out in the last 24 hours and the end user install could come any day.

I’m curious about this too. Just need to know if I have to wait a bit before updating so things can get figured out between Apple and Blizzard.

I’ve run Battle.net and WoW on a recent-ish Catalina beta without issues. I’ll test again with the Catalina final release soonish. This testing is being done on a MacBook Pro though, not my main machine (which is stuck on High Sierra due to Nvidia nonsense).

The public release of Catalina dropped today! Hope all is well and we can update without issues.

It looks like all the blizzard apps (at least as of the last patch) are now all 64 bit. (Blizzard Error was the hanger-on, but it looks like it was recently updated.). So… this is good news!

All looks good on initial testing with a 2017 15” MBP running Catalina!

1 Like

I’m seeing major graphical glitches with the public release of Catalina. Small colored blocks seem to be appearing at the edges of models, and my framerate has dropped to about half

What hardware are you playing with? Mainly the machine model and GPU are relevant.

For completeness’ sake, the the 2017 MBP I played successfully with is equipped with a Radeon Pro 555 2GB. All works as expected with both internal Retina display and external normal DPI monitor.

I was having graphics issues too on my 2019 MBP. Turns out it seems that WoW is no longer activating the dedicated GPU if you have the “Automatic Graphics Switching” flag turned on in the Energy Saver control panel. Disable that and the game starts using your dedicated GPU again. Frame rates shoot back to normal, glitchy corrupted textures go away and the weird silvery shine on everything also vanishes. This seems to be happening whether I chose “auto” in the graphics card choice advanced setting in-game or choose the Vega 20; either way the game just ignores the dedicated GPU and uses the integrated intel graphics chip.

2 Likes

As someone with a 560 with four gig of vram I’m glad to hear it. Then again, Wow runs reasonably well on the discrete card on my 2017 MBP.

Thanks for the tip Colton, I was having performance issues and this has fixed it.

After updating to Catalina I was getting 13 FPS. I noticed in Activity Monitor that my GPU wasn’t being used in WOW. Went into WOW settings and forced WOW to use Radeon Pro 460 instead of Auto Detect. Then went into energy saver and disabled auto graphics switching. That immediately bumped me back up to 60 FPS.

2 Likes

Guys, I have troubles when I try to install the battle.net-setup in my mac with Catalina OS because the app is 32 bits and Catalina needs 64 bits. I see a lot of people playing with Catalina, could you tell me how I can install wow classic in Catalina?
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I was having the same issue after updating to Catalina on my MacBook Pro. Manually selected my graphics card vs. “Auto Detect” and my frame rates jumped back up, too. I left the auto-switching on in Energy Saver, however (assuming it would auto-switch due to the newly specified setting in WoW).

Thank you for the tip!

2 Likes

Look for a utility called GFX card status, it lets you switch on the fly.

For sure but it’s just stupid that my Mac is always using the GPU now unless I enable auto graphics switching. It’s annoying to have to remember to turn that off before starting WOW. Otherwise it kills your battery. Blizzard needs to fix this!

Seriously install gfx Card status. It puts an icon on your bar for instant switching and locking your card choice.

Do you have a link to the gfxCardStatus application? I am struggling to find a secure download and it doesn’t appear to be in the App Store.