Maintenance extended ... (AGAIN!?!)

Thanks for the heads up.

Born and raised there for 26 years, but it has been almost a year.
So perhaps I need a refresher.

:stuck_out_tongue:

It worked on me!

Nah, I was going to be playing it anyway.

Love love love the theme of this expansion! :heart_eyes: The cards are so fun - canā€™t get enough Revendreth!

We should add that the use of ā€œarchitectā€ as a verb isnā€™t a recent phenomenon. The Oxford English Dictionary has written examples going back to the early 1800s.

1 Like

Itā€™s an interesting response and probably technically accurate. It is, however, not the ideal way to either address the aforementioned bugs nor is it a good customer experience. From a change-control perspective, all of this should be tested in a test environment prior to deployment into production. This is part of the CI-CD pipeline process and should also be covered in an Agile development methodology. (Also, covered in most cybersecurity frameworks based on the NIST standard and/or SOC2.)

Given the money customers are paying and have been, to some degree or another, for the lifetime of Blizzardā€™s development lifecycle (letā€™s say 17 years for the purposes of this conversation), there is a reasonable business expectation that this should already have been done. It is not a reasonable response for a business to have failed to do this after that many years. It means that the organization has not learned the lessons of previous releases nor has it addressed the underlying bugs causing the aforementioned recurring issues.

Does this imply any combination of the the following is true?

• Blizzard does not have sufficient Quality Assurance staff members available?
  • Blizzard does not have sufficient competent Quality Assurance staff members available?
  • Blizzard does not have a sufficient CI-CD pipeline process? (Or, worse, is there even one in place?)
  • Blizzard does not address bugs filed either internally or externally which is directly related to this issue?
  • Blizzard does not track these issues from start to resolution in development, to beta/UAT, to production?

Iā€™m writing this in context to not only the maintenance of this season, but the last 2 seasons, and each of the expansion launches. The appearance from the outside looking in is that this is clearly mismanaged or, worse, incompetently managed. If this had happened as consistently at any company Iā€™ve worked at in the last 15 years, the development manager and operations manager would have had a corrective plan of action put on file for their employment or a termination.

It is a consistent pattern with Blizzard from a customer perspective and thatā€™s not the right kind of consistent.

3 Likes

The fact that the blue posterā€™s pedantic response was pulled straight from an OUPblog entry, and your example is also a blog entry asking the exact same question should reinforce that my question

was a legitimate one.

Neither I nor the blue said it was invalid. Merely that yes, ā€œarchitectā€ can be used as a verb and has been used as such for a long time(with varying degrees of usage/popularity) and that currently it is mostly a term used more for technical jargon.

1 Like

I thought region-wide commodities trading was coming with the start of this season. Iā€™m sad now.

I have a friend named Dan. Heā€™s a lot more chill though. He doesnā€™t sweat the small stuff in life.

Most likely they did start in the off hours.

The TLDR

:dracthyr_comfy_blue: :dracthyr_comfy_black: :dracthyr_comfy_blue::dracthyr_comfy_black::dracthyr_comfy_blue: :dracthyr_comfy_black:

Honestly they should just do 8 hour maintenance on season changes and come up early rather than four hour maintenance and extend it 3 times at least that way no one is expecting it to be up.

But then theyā€™d never get all the free advice from forum IT experts. :wink:

A blue post!! An illusionā€¦ what are you hiding?

A hidden profile though? Iā€™ve been told youā€™re ā€œinsecureā€ if you stay hidden. :melting_face:

1 Like