[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

Well, I wish I’d have read this thread before I updated my drivers tonight. Just updated to 461.92 and hopped on a flight… trees flickering everywhere.

2 Likes

Hopefully one day it’ll be fixed… must be a hard bug to figure out.

1 Like

Today’s drive update still shows this as an open issue:
[World of Warcraft: Shadowlands]: Random flicker may occur in certain locations in the game [3206341]
So Nvidia is at least working on it and including it in their patch notes.

2 Likes

The previous hotfix driver 461.82 has fixed the issue for me, I don’t know if you can still download it. I had to manually download it from Nvidia’s site.
I am not going to update to the newest one as it seems to have issues still.

i wish it was the case :frowning:

For me, the flickering disappeared after I made a WoW specific Nvidia profile and disabled shader cache and then in game switched to double buffering from triple buffering. Not sure if that works for everyone, but in my case I haven’t had a flicker for a while now.

1 Like

Well a new driver update hit and the graphics are still flickering.

1 Like

Ya, the notes for the driver still mention the flickering issue in WoW. I wouldn’t expect it to be fixed til you see the driver specifically mention that the issue is resolved.

2 Likes

Yea, the latest driver made it worse for me. Maldraxxus and Bastion now have a lot of flickering for me, when before they had none.

1 Like

I was goaded into updating windows 10, and it installed the latest driver. I had to redo the profile inspector fix.

@ nvidia: can you please fix this. it’s a pain

2 Likes

Is this getting progressively worse or is it all in my head? I haven’t updated to the latest driver, but initially it seemed like it was only affecting Ardenweald trees for the most part. Now it’s affecting other zones now & some additional doodads here and there.

1 Like

Definitely getting worse. Before I could toggle my shadow quality and it would go away. Now I can’t even do that. It just flickers and I have to squint. Game has been unplayable for 4 months. Never posted on the wow forums before but had to post this. Absolutely embarrassing.

Here’s hoping Nvidia will get off their laurels and fix the drivers to start working again with WoW properly.

1 Like

this up my GPU usage to 100% its a GTX1050 4gb, but with DirectX 12 my usage down to 20% …

2 Likes

I’m noticing the same. In Bastion covenant halls all the wings on the blue people flicker, my toons hair flickers, the anima barrels flicker, the trees, the huge thing in the middle flickers. It’s like a giant light show.

If I close wow out and reopen it, it removes 90% of the flicker, but slowly starts up on objects again until it’s another extreme flicker.

For those who keep getting automatic driver updates on windows 10.

Do the following - go to Control Panel and select System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings and select No.

This is one of the more annoying features on windows 10. Specifically since nividia drivers have been so hit or miss lately…

4 Likes

It’s best to stick at version 457.51. You can run DX12 with that version without flickering.

3 Likes

This is what I am doing until a driver that fixes this is offered by NVidia. I mainly play WoW and FFXIV and 457.51 works fine on both so until then I’ll stick to the older driver.

1 Like

This seems to be working for me so far outside, but in dungeons mechanics on the ground still flicker.

After all this time, affecting so many users, how is this possibly not fixed yet? Work arounds are okay for a short time, but not for months.

1 Like