[Main Thread] No npc dialogue - April 2023

I found a temporary fix, deleting the Cache folder fixes this but it comes back at some point as I had to delete it again for Baine’s cutscenes.

After a ton of troubleshooting addons 1 by 1, I finally found the culprit. For me, World Quest Tracker had suppress talking heads enabled. Disabling those options fixed the dialog sounds for me. You’ll need to disable the talking head options and reset all instances before testing again.

8 Likes

Getting this issue too. The Details fix didn’t work for me, not did the World Quest Tracker fix.

Still no NPC dialogue.

1 Like

Didn’t fix my sound issue but it did fix my map position which was locked for some reason due to ‘centralize map’ option in WQT.

Ditto on this. I also main a healer and I learn and memorize a lot of fights by their voice lines; currently progressing on M Rasz and I feel so out of sorts without them. Really hoping this gets fixed before 10.1, since any other suggestion seems to just be a band-aid at best.

2 Likes

Have Blizz acknowledged this is an issue yet. I’m finding more and more people pop up with this issue on reddit and elsewhere.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. We are going on what now, 4 or 5 YEARS since they broke the /who when they began combining realms and using shards, they never did fix that. You can try to /who someone you can see online IN YOUR GUILD and it won’t show them. These are the types of things they need to be putting more effort into fixing and they can’t ever seem to get it done.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that we are investigating this issue on our end.

I can say in many cases, what is happening is related to the Talking Heads frame (in edit mode.) and using an addon that suppresses that frame. There are a number of addons but some more common ones are World Quest Tracker, BeQuiet and I believe Elvui has an option to do this. (We don’t make or support addons so I am basing it off players who solved the issue and what addon they were using.)

Reportedly, going into that addon and disabling the frame suppression for Talking heads can stop the issue from happening. (resetting the client, or disabling the addon will not solve this, you have to change the option in game through the addon)

However this is not the only cause we are seeing as some players not even using addons running into the issue. That is what we are investigating.

There is some potential that the changes made have run into another bug related to the Cvars used within the game to manage settings. You can try (after doing the above) Doing a full reset of the client and those cvars as follows. (Make sure to back up your ui profiles and export them and move them to a safe location on your system. (also copy any saved macro files out for backup)

This will return everything to default condition.
First log into the game client and onto the affected character.

Type the following into chat one at a time in this order:

/console cvar_default
/console synchronizeConfig 0
/console synchronizeSettings 0

Now logout of the game, closing it completely.

Return the client to default condition:

If you have any addon managers installed. They are fine programs but they have the tendency to prevent our troubleshooting steps from working. Please uninstall them and leave them off your system until we have solved the problem.

Once that is confirmed, we need to delete the temporary game files to attempt to eliminate any corrupt data that might be affecting the client or characters. Your game will rebuild them when you next login but this will remove all installed addons. Please do not reinstall any addons until we know the issue is resolved: https://battle.net/support/article/7549

Finally, let’s reset the in game user options:

1. Click the blue bnet icon on the bnet app.
  2. Choose settings, then game settings.
  3. Click the reset in game user options button under the correct game listing.
  4. Confirm the changes and close the window.

Log back in and re-enable the server side syncs:
/console synchronizeConfig 1
/console synchronizeSettings 1

Hopefully that helps but if not, go ahead and reply back to this thread and then monitor it. If/when we get any additional information we will post it here.

Same has been happening to myself and three of my friends ever since the patch.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. We are going on what now, 4 or 5 YEARS since they broke the /who when they began combining realms and using shards, they never did fix that.

I wouldn’t say it’s that anyone is necessarily “surprised”, just frustrated. And, I hate to say it, but as annoying as it is, /who being broken isn’t nearly as impactful to people’s gameplay as blatant sound issues. Boss voicelines have become integral parts of their fights; you can memorize the timing of mechanics throughout a 9-minute encounter based solely on what the mob is saying at any given time. The /who function can’t even come close to that in terms of player necessity.

But in the grand scheme of it all, I don’t disagree with your point. The fact that Torghast offers broken and non-functional powers when we only JUST e̶s̶c̶a̶p̶e̶d̶ finished Shadowlands is pretty disappointing, never mind the fact that Dragonflight is rife with grammatical errors throughout the text. I mean, this is recent and even current content we’re talking about – the grammar thing might be nitpicky to some, but to me, it just shows a lack of care on Blizzard’s part. If they’re not bothered to even proofread their quest text, what else is just falling by the wayside? Working sound options, apparently.

Anyway, before I go deeper down this rabbit hole, I’m glad someone is at least acknowledging this issue, finally. So, thanks, Kershew. I unfortunately won’t be able to troubleshoot anything myself, as I would rather not run the risk of all my addons and my interface options resetting before I raid tonight, but hopefully some people can find their solution now!

1 Like

No voice lines during M Rasz last night. But this afternoon, I did a few Timewalking dungeons before trying any of your suggestions here; all the voice issues seemed to be gone, despite me doing…nothing? I did multiple runs across different characters and encountered no issues. I also ended up queueing up for the Diurna/Raszageth wing in LFR just to see, and faced no issues there, either. Not sure about anyone else, but perhaps tentatively resolved? Maybe? I’ll update again if this changes during my guild run later this evening.

[e]: Just started our Rasz pulls for the night, voice lines were DOA. Audio in the Timewalking dungeons I was doing right up until now were working fine. Guess I’ll be troubleshooting tomorrow.

I fixed mine by Force Updating Details Damage Meter. I believe the addon Details was the issue.

Force update Details Dmg Meter

Is this a joke? No way I’m deleting all my settings.

2 Likes

Worldquesttracker was stuffing it up for me I turned that off all fixed

2 Likes

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/details-fix

This addon should fix it.

What was disabling dialogue for me was the Shadow & Light Plugin for Elvui .
Didn’t realize this , but there is a section in there under the “skins” tab labled “Blizzard” and under this is a Talking Head option to hide the talking heads.

I had BeQuiet installed which was handling this so I was essentially double handling the talking heads without knowing.

Since BeQuiet has been updated it functions fine .

However the Shadow & Light options is still using the old talking head code to immediately kill the frame and close the dialogue , still breaking the game audio.

I can confirm that addons that repress the Talking Head will break the NPC dialogue audio for the entire game the first time a talking head happens until it is restarted. In my case, the problematic addon was Windtools for ElvUI. I suspect all other addons that haven’t changed how they interact with the Talking Head since 10.0.7 will produce the same behavior.

it works for me with ur advice, ty

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.