Maiev's powers and abilities

I have some doubts about Maiev.

I recently got the war of the ancients trilogy, but no time to read so far. So my question is with the knowledge of the interactions in game and reading Wolfheart.

Maiev was a priest of Elune, and became the head of the Wardens, with the duty of guarding Illidan for eternity, Illidan escapes, she follows him until she manages to defeat him in TBC (with the help of Akama and a raid group) arrests demon hunters right after that, in Wolfheart, she goes mad, tries to kill Highborne because of their use of Arcane, she is mad at Malfurion, tries to kill him as well, is defeated by Jarod, runs away, releases demon hunters, then get back into kaldorei society and runs the warfront.

And during all this time, she shows a lot of different skills and abilities that i found never got explained.
1 - Short Distance teleport (Or a blink), that can be seen in game and also in Wolfheart.
2 - Restraining Demon Hunter without any physical effort (in game).
3 - Enchanted Traps.

She is described at one point being adaptive, and using what she can to achieve what she needs, but all of those seems to be usage of Arcane Magic, wouldn’t be hypocritical of her using arcane when she is clearly against it? Or her skills have other sources? I’ve seen mentioned that vengeance powers her, is that some figurative way, as being her motivation, or is just her power?

The blink is said to be a blessing of Elune in the illidan book

2 Likes

Which reminds me, I need to get that book.

To the OP I think that the vast majority of Maiev’s abilites are blessings from Elune but that is probably head canon as their neither her nor the Wardens abilites have been explained. The trap was said to be something ancient that writhes against magic or something like that.

The Illidan Novel, she explains how the Goddess Elune is the source of her abilities. Elune-sources magic manifests as Light, Life, Arcane, and with the blessing of the Nightwarrior, it might manifest as Void or Death magic as well… So, in conclusion, Elune is pretty cool.

3 Likes

The vengeance powering her up might be taken literally, as Terran Gregory at explains at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHc8le_Qpk&t=58m07s :

It’s very much Sentinel and Warden inspired. Right? And Wardens are, as we know, the keepers of vengeance. And while they were crated very specifically they’re still, you know, at their core a Night Elf institution. The concept of wielding vengeance as a weapon. And I felt that actually factored into this. This was just my feeling in putting this story together. If they are capable of being empowered by vengeance, then that means they’re more powerful after they lost Teldrassil than they were during the fight of Teldrassil.

1 Like

This talk about vengeance is interesting, i wonder if it is something exclusive to Wardens, or some hidden power in all Night Elves, that is giving me some interesting thoughts.

1 Like

Wasn’t their order founded to capture and guard prisoners? Hence the name “Warden?”

And they’re fueled by… vengeance?

I feel like this is a take based on Maiev’s very specific mindset during a very specific moment in time, and it isn’t being informed by the larger context of the order.

Been this way since Warcraft III:

Warden

A cunning Hero, adept at entering and escaping combat. Set apart from the militant Sentinels, wardens are usually employed as jailors, assassins, and bounty hunters. Attacks land units.

BTNFanOfKnives.png

Fan of Knives

Flings a flurry of knives at multiple enemy targets around the Warden.

BTNBlink.png

Blink

Teleports the Warden a short distance, allowing her to move in and out of combat.

BTNShadowStrike.png

Shadow Strike

Hurls a poisoned dagger which deals large initial damage, and then deals damage over time. The poisoned unit has its attack and movement rate slowed for a short duration.

BTNSpiritOfVengeance.png

Vengeance (Ultimate)

Creates a powerful Avatar of Vengeance that summons invulnerable spirits from friendly corpses to attack your enemies. The Avatar is bent on avenging the death of fallen comrades. Immune to magic. Has Resistant Skin, and can use Spirit of Vengeance, an auto-casting spell, to summon invulnerable spirits from nearby corpses. Attacks land and air units.

Spirit of Vengeance - Temporarily raises an invulnerable feral spirit from a corpse. The spirit’s life is linked with the Avatar that raised it. Attacks land and air units.

4 Likes