Mages combustion makes me irrationally angry

Like who thought that was good game design?

6 Likes

60 Likes

Same person who thought DH was a good design. Live with it.

10 Likes

Combustion is one of the most instantly recognizable DPS Cooldowns in the game. It’s like a Shaman popping Ascendance. You see it, you CC it, and boom they’ve now wasted their entire cooldown and only got maybe 1 hit off, if that. That’s the counterplay, and why it’s not particularly bad design.

If you’re mad about it in a PvE context, honestly just get over it. Fire Mage is -built- around that Burst Window. They’re not good outside of it. It’s okay for some specs to be burst-focused and others to be sustain-focused.

14 Likes

I love that you posted on a new alt, mage XD

1 Like

No one complains about it in PvE lmao

It is the win condition for PvP in any game a fire mage plays in - because without something popped for a defensive it is a win button, similar to convoke which can actually be interrupted and hit other targets.

1 Like

I knew OP would be a salty melee before I clicked on this thread.

4 Likes

Again, CC. It’s a 10 second CD. Cut if off in the first couple seconds. If they’re more than a few globals into it, they’ll have to actually cast as well. Interrupt then if you didn’t have any CC for some reason.

2 Likes

Are you talking purely in the connotation of 1v1? Because in 1v1, this response makes sense. It does not in 2v2 or 3v3 where another person is also ensuring the mage is getting full value by providing cross-CC, such as sub rogue’s current iteration cheaping two people and 2 seconds being more than enough with combined dps for someone to be 100-0’d.

“Just CC it 4head” does not actually address Combustion’s current state when discussing competitive play. Not when aiming to provide people with actual information on how to counter something when other people are also in play.

4 Likes

Also, it’s fully purgable. Spellsteal it, dispel it, purge it, spell eat it, etc…

2 Likes

You died like a scrub.

2 Likes

And combust is what - a minute and twenty second CD?

Also a class with the most (and/or nearly the most) CC in the game haha

It’s also what - 2 seconds to kill someone 100-0 with gear?

Please, continue defending this because dispels exist XD

I think combustion could be fine - but right now it’s just a meme and defending it shows plain ignorance.

3 Likes

lol dh player, you’ll earn the right to complain about other classes once you start playing a real one OP.

1 Like

What would your proposed changes be?

The thing is, changing combustion too dramatically means rebalancing Fire as a whole, because combustion is fire’s central pillar. That’s fine with me, I’ve never liked the burst-window design fire’s had for a while now, but it’s a significant chunk of dev work (would be surprised to see it out before 9.1) and slapdash nerfing combustion alone is likely to render the spec unusable.

1 Like

What do you do if you’re stun locked?

Break it if you can? Rely on a teammate to stun the mage? Managing CC is basically all PvP is.

It’s easy to notice the times where you get CCd and the mage rips into you. It’s also easy for the mage to notice the times where they can’t use their best asset because the other team is on top of them instantly.

And you wonder why i changed to Arcane from fire because i was literately killing my bro from spell reflection. Oh the screaming til I changed :weary:

Can’t Demon Hunters purge combustion?

I like that different classes do different things.

They all have 3 shields active, AI and any other buff they can slap on them selves to cover combust