Mage tips in 3's

I’ve been helping LFG rando’s and PvE’ers get 1600 for their Conflict and Strife essence.

The hardest specs I’ve found to help carry is Fire Mages. Seems like being focused all game means a lot of them get zero damage out and land 1 poly per minute or less.

Are there some simple tips I can give them to help them manage to get out their damage and land poly’s?

Use the 3 schools of magic. If poly is kicked then db ring or bait interrupt with gpy

Basically this. If they get kicked on Fire (or better yet, if they can juke the kick), they can then line up CC and drop big damage out. Alternatively, if they get kicked on Poly, you can just have them hardcast gpy. Remind them that shimmer is an amazing tool for making sure casts complete (ie. started casting before they moved out of LoS, blink into LoS as cast ends).

Being a beginner mage in this state of the game must be miserable. But Mage is all about doing damage in setups. This means a winning game always has a strong opening setup. Best thing is to have partners start a cc chain for you to sheep or ring off of. But if they have to get sheeps on their own then just tell them to get kicks out of the way and then try db sheep or position for a blink sheep. One thing they can do is try to db sheep out of invis and even if it gets stopped they can just go for it again with shimmers or whatever.

Once there’s cc out, they should combust. Theres some variables in how to do damage correctly with combust but idk if i need to go that in depth. You can just tell them to combust and double tap fireblast then use bracers if they have them on.

If you’re not combusting you’re doing one or more of the following: positioning defensively to stay alive, spamming fireballs to get combust back if playing firestarter talent, sheeping defensively to stop damage, getting kicks out of the way to push for cc on heals.

I have to agree. I can’t imagine what someone would find exciting or fun about this game design.

Starting to play mage for me meant frostbolt ice lance shatters taking off chunks of peoples health. There’s something simplistic and fun about your standard cast having an impact.

It’s really about being patient with gpys tbh if you’re talking 2s. I think the biggest mistake a lot of mages make in 2s is they’ll get interrupted via kicks/stuns/etc. and work through the other team’s entire kit to interrupt but get frustrated and stop going for gpy right as it’s lined up.

Sheeping someone who overextends without trinket into gpy is really just a very straightforward way to kill. Once you get the cast off popping combust immediately and doing a combust rotation virtually guarantees CDs or death. This is enhanced by the fact that while combust substantially increases your offensive potential, having several fireblasts pooled between combusts still provides enough damage to nuke someone hard if you can get even 1 gpy off.

Making sure they have a way to track kicks or other significant CDs like omnibar might help them.

Priest/Fire Mage is kinda rough in 2s, because Holy cannot pump damage and it’s pretty easy to just sit Fire Mage until it dies. It’s not like Destro where it can setup it’s own win conditions. Fire with healer does better with HPal because it can stun the kill target and lets mage get the burst off.

1600 is doable, but any semi decent dps will just stop mage damage or LOS when it can’t.

For landing polys from fire mages, id say poly 123 macros would be extremely helpful.

Without arena 123 macros, you have to switch targets alot for example, you target kill target > target poly target> then swap back to kill target. Where as with 123 macros you dont constantly have to keep swapping targets, thus saving you time, and increasing your awareness, not constantly worry about always switching targets.

Would also suggest counterspell 123 macros for mages also.

Easiest advice I can give is play with a Warlock lol

They’re probably trying too hard to live or force CC. Remind them they have a healer and it’s not the end of the world if they get kicked because like everyone else said, they have Poly and RoF too. They don’t have to try to win the game in 10 seconds.

Also remind them not to just randomly CC for no reason. Bad CC is worse than no CC.

Mage is a class where you don’t win by attrition unless you’re just spamming Gpies and actually landing them. You have to set up your kills.