Mag’har Orc Warlocks

There is no lore denial going on. The events of that book are a narrative told from the perspective of the characters involved. It is not a definitive textbook. The characters are allowed to be wrong, they may or may not have the full context of the story at large.

When the events of the book conflict with facts observed elsewhere, we have to dig to see why. Typical theory crafting territory.
Blizzard is no stronger to this method. Some people call it retconning, some call it re-contextualizing. They have made a habit of it even today with casting shade on previously “canon lore” texts and they now swing to the titans lying about certain events and even the ‘definitive lore book’ Chronicles is only correct until its not.

2 Likes

As far as I know, not a single Mag’har Warlock NPC was added on the PTR. As soon as that happens, things should clear up.

It’s literally lore denial.

Just because the book is told from a perspective, doesn’t mean the events of the book didn’t happen. Especially in the case of Rise of the Horde. This isn’t the Chronicle which tells the lore from the perspective of a Titan and as such has a different take on the cosmology compared to denizens from the Shadowlands (although the cosmology hasn’t changed, just the perspective of it has).

And until there’s new lore that overwrites the old, or the old lore is declared non-canon by those who created it, what’s written stands.

The diametrically opposed understandings of the lore combined with opinions on its execution can muddy the waters. I certainly disagree.

I think the current lore clearly allows for Warlocks of Playable Races, including Lightforged and Maghar. There needs no further justification- it is there for those who understand the current lore and wish to role play in an rpg.

I do not even think the new Warlocks need new lore. They can just be. The people who twist lore arguments to suit their purposes are just wrong.

And that’s OK. Because the Maghar and Lightforged Warlocks will be soulstoning healers before the pull and making gateways where required.

2 Likes

Assuming they make it into the game at all.

There’s been a lot of vocal protest against them and Blizzard has noticed it. Not just on the story forums either.

Just because something is on the PTR, doesn’t mean it will make it into the live game. Especially since, as of right now, you can’t actually make Draenei, Lightforged Draenei, Mag’har Orc or Night Elf Warlocks. The option hasn’t been enabled for testing.

Now it could be something they enable in a future build, once they’ve gotten other priorities finished. Or, as is my personal hope, they realize this is a step in the wrong direction and can the warlock option for those four races.

Just as there was for all the queer characters and Night Elf Mages and Non-White skin options and Curly Hair options and more.

Truly, whatever the consensus of GD is, Blizzard should always do the exact opposite.

2 Likes

No assuming, they are coming to the game, that’s a hard undeniable fact. And as is the eventuality that every race will have access to every class down the road

1 Like

I remember reading about the uproar about the queer characters and the black skins and curly hair.

It was embarrassing to read.

2 Likes

Hey Carhagen, check the status of your PTR thread.

Lmao

That can sound optimistic for your side. However, Blizzard has mentioned all classes would be coming to all races in time.

Sure, Blizzard has gone back on their word. But they already rolled out Mage/Rogue/Priest to start, and discussed why Pally/Druid may be last. The reason given for the delay for Pallys/Druids was not some half baked fan fiction - it was Dev time for implementing those particular classes.

1 Like

Mainly because for paladins, the races that don’t have them are going to need a unique pally only mount like every other race that has paladins already, and for druids, they need to develope unique forms for each race.

Which you know, takes resources and time to complete

Not so.

I can point to quite a few things that were in betas and PTRs that got pulled due to feedback from players. Nothing is set in stone until the patch goes live. That’s the entire point of a PTR.

Blizzard also said we’d be getting a dance studio, aerial combat, the path of the titans progression system, the Abyssal Maw raid, Karabor and Bladespire Citadel as faction capitals in WoD and that Shadowlands would not be like WoD and would have a full patch cycle.

What happened to all of that again?

If you legitimately think that just because Blizzard said something was going to happen, then that automatically means it’s set in stone and is 100% going to happen, then you have a selective memory.

Yes. I certainly am fine with that. I can totally give Blizzard the space to roll out this massive change in an incremental way, based on development time.

My point is that Blizzard has mentioned the slow pace of the roll out is based on that - Dev time. It is not based on some half baked fan fiction determining who can play play what.

I can not fault people for being ignorant about the lore and Blizzard’s announcements. But I can fault them for their sudden crocodile tears at old news for the sake of drama.

1 Like

We’ll be here when the new race/class combos roll out. They already started the process and the current new combos are on the PTR with no signs of being cut.

It’s okay to be wrong sometimes. Not everything needs to be fought to the bitter end

1 Like

Never said it didn’t dear. But I am not gullible enough to think everyone’s opinion is 100% fact. Even in a story book. The actual evidence does not support the claims in the book. It may be true of the setting without any additional context, the characters may very well believe what they say as fact. But faulty narrator is something that they have used before. I take the book as canon, but with a grain of salt they can be wrong on many things.

1 Like

I mean if they do, they do. I’ve said before that if Blizzard goes forward with this and it goes live, I may not like it, but I’ll respect it.

I’m not going to fight for warlocks to be removed from those races once the patch goes live, I don’t believe options like that should be pulled from players once they’ve gone into the live game.

But until they go into the live game I’ll continue to protest their inclusion, and I’m not the only one. And unlike the rants about LGBT content and black skin tones, which was being done by homophobes (like those who use queer as a pejorative to attack others) and overt or closet racists, who should never be listened to, this argument actually has a foundation to it, even if you don’t agree with it.

I’m honestly curious about knowing more about this.
What other facts contradict those of the books?

I want to know more, in case I missed something.

1 Like

There aren’t any.

There’s literally no other lore source that contradicts what you’ve posted with regards to warlock magic being corruptive and causing change in Orcs. Just people making stuff up in their heads about how they think it should work.

The entire argument stems from what happened with the Chronicle. With Blizzard releasing it as a definitive lore book only for Blizzard to make changes and use the excuse of “Well it’s written from the perspective of a Titan, so they don’t always get everything right.” so now Rhito is apparently trying to apply that same logic to other novels and argue that whether warlock magic corrupts is a ‘matter of perspective’.

1 Like

I think that there is a difference here.

Chronicles are basically a narration of past events. If you factor some unreliable narrator, you can argue that the stuff commented there, can indeed be a twisted truth.

But in the books, that’s not what is happening.
Even if it’s being told from certain characters point of view, they are just describing what it’s unfolding before their eyes.

I think that it’s very different to have a narrator declare that “Old Gods had ulterior motives about corrupting the galaxy” (something that can be challenged if we are told that it’s just someone’s opinion), and having a character describe how the former shaman around him were gradually turning green after some time throwing “balls of darkness” at the Draenei.

And for the record, there are also bits in the novel that aren’t told from anyone’s point of view.

That said, I honestly can’t think of any more recent development that contradicts Durotans assessment of the situation and what it means for the Warlock lore.

Hence why I asked for any source or bit that could’ve been interpreted as contradictory.

1 Like

I agree, 100% which is why I’m saying there isn’t lore that contradicts what you’ve posted.

The novels are canon lore, what’s described in them is accurate.

1 Like