Macros with /y no longer working

I had several macros that I used for communication while tanking, they used /y because you split group chat channels into party, raid and now instance with RDF, so instead of having 3 macros for the same thing, I used a chat channel that worked for every kind of instance.

After the patch today they no longer work, I cannot use a macro with /yell anymore, this is unacceptable, if there were abusers for this kind of stuff you deal with it by punishing the abusers, not everyone else.

I assume same problem

I’m getting “attempt to concatenate a nil value” error when using /s or /y in my tanking CD macro’s.

Same problem. /s phrase macro gives following error with all addons disabled.

Message: Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua:4524: attempt to concatenate a nil value
Time: Wed Oct 25 10:13:18 2023
Count: 2
Stack: Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua:4524: attempt to concatenate a nil value
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua"]:4524: in function `ChatEdit_UpdateHeader'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua"]:4883: in function <Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua:4845>
[string "=(tail call)"]: ?
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua"]:4960: in function `ChatEdit_ParseText'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua"]:4634: in function `ChatEdit_SendText'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua"]:3015: in function <Interface/FrameXML/ChatFrame.lua:3009>
[string "=[C]"]: in function `UseAction'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/SecureTemplates.lua"]:343: in function `handler'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/SecureTemplates.lua"]:625: in function `SecureActionButton_OnClick'
[string "*ActionBarFrame.xml:15_OnClick"]:4: in function <[string "*ActionBarFrame.xml:15_OnClick"]:1>

Locals: editBox = EditBox {
 0 = <userdata>
 autoCompleteParams = <table> {
 }
}
type = "RAID"
info = <table> {
 colorNameByClass = true
 flashTab = false
 b = 0
 r = 1
 id = 4
 sticky = 1
 flashTa****eneral = false
 g = 0.498039
}
(*temporary) = <table> {
 UpdateOnBarHighlightMarksBySpell = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/ActionButton.lua:70
 ERR_OUT_OF_CHI = "Not enough chi"
 DH_HAVOC_CORE_ABILITY_2 = "Strong melee attack that consumes Fury. If it critical strikes, some Fury is refunded."
 MultiCastActionButton6Cooldown = MultiCastActionButton6Cooldown {
 }
 SettingsSliderOptionsMixin = <table> {
 }
 GetTrainerServiceTypeFilter = <function> defined =[C]:-1
 UNIT_NAMES_COMBATLOG_TOOLTIP = "Color unit names."
 SetTrainerServiceTypeFilter = <function> defined =[C]:-1
 LE_GAME_ERR_CHAT_RAID_RESTRICTED_TRIAL = 793
 SPELL_FAILED_CUSTOM_ERROR_71 = "This partygoer wants to dance with you."
 LE_GAME_ERR_PET_SPELL_TARGETS_DEAD = 410
 ERROR_CLUB_TICKET_COUNT_AT_MAX_COMMUNITY = "Can't create any more invite links for this group."
 CompactUnitFrameProfilesGeneralOptionsFrameHealthTextDropdownButtonNormalTexture = CompactUnitFrameProfilesGeneralOptionsFrameHealthTextDropdownButtonNormalTexture {
 }
 MultiCastActionButton2Cooldown = MultiCastActionButton2Cooldown {
 }
 ERR_TRADE_EQUIPPED_BAG = "You can't trade equipped bags."
 PVP_RANK_6_1 = "Corporal"
 MultiBarLeftButton7 = MultiBarLeftButton7 {
 }
 AudioOptionsVoicePanelOutputDeviceDropdownButtonHighlightTexture = AudioOptionsVoicePanelOutputDeviceDropdownButtonHighlightTexture {
 }
 VideoOptionsFrameDefaults = VideoOptionsFrameDefaults {
 }
 MerchantItem1AltCurrencyFrameItem1Text = MerchantItem1AltCurrencyFrameItem1Text {
 }
 OPTION_TOOLTIP_ACTION_BUTTON_USE_KEY_DOWN = "Action button keybinds will respond on key down, rather than on key up."
 BINDING_NAME_NAMEPLATES = "Show Enemy Name Plates"
 INSTANCE_UNAVAILABLE_OTHER_TEMPORARILY_DISABLED = "%s cannot enter. This instance is temporarily disabled."
 MultiBarBottomRightButton8Shine5 = MultiBarBottomRightButton8Shine5 {
 }
 IsReferAFriendLinked = <function> defined =[C]:-1
 MAIL_LETTER_TOOLTIP = "Click to make a permanent
copy of this letter."
 UnitFrameManaBar_UnregisterDefaultEvents = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/UnitFrame.lua:623
 CALENDAR_RAID_RESET_DESCRIPTION = "%1$s resets at %2$s."
 CHAT_CONFIG_OTHER_COMBAT = <table> {
 }
 CONSOLIDATED_BUFFS_PER_ROW = 4
 BOOST2_WARRIOR_COLOSSUSSMASH = "Use Colossus Smash.

Colossus Smash increases your damage."
 BN_UNABLE_TO_RESOLVE_NAME = "Unable to whisper '%s'. Blizzard services may be unavailable."
 AutoCompleteEditBox_OnKeyDown = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/AutoComplete.lua:368
 CompactRaidFrameManagerDisplayFrameHiddenModeToggleTopRight = CompactRaidFrameManagerDisplayFrameHiddenModeToggleTopRight {
 }
 LFGTeleport = <function> defined =[C]:-1
 LE_GAME_ERR_ONLY_ONE_QUIVER = 33
 SpellButton6Cooldown = SpellButton6Cooldown {
 }
 LOSS_OF_CONTROL_DISPLAY_FEAR = "Feared"
 Grap

You could try this workaround instead. I haven’t tried it but someone else posted in a diff thread

/run SendChatMessage("My important message", "YELL");
1 Like

Confirmed. /s, /y, /w no longer working in macros as of 10/24

Thank you. This works!!!

What would be the code for raid warning? /rw is broken as well

Im sorry, but Im new to macros and I dont understand how that macro works. or rather, works around. Cand anyone elaborate on this? I understand the part in quotes is what I want to have yelled as the dialogue of said macro, but the rest I dont get. I dont think Ive ever seen a /run let alone a /run SendChatMessage. and why the comma separating the message and the word YELL in all caps and in its own set of quotes?, also the “;” at the very end?

My most advanced macro Ive been able to make so far was “/emote throws a Pokéball at %n!” when I would happen upon someone I knew or someone with a fun name or the rare pokemon themed name and I would target them and hit the macro and it would fill in their name where the %n was.

So yeah, I dont understand macros well at all nor their alphabet or lexicon or much else really lol. apologies in advance but trying to google learn them is a daunting and unintuitive task. As evidenced above in my own macro, thats after 2+ years of trying to learn them lol.

But yeah, any elaboration as to what all is going on in that macro and if possible, each step of the macro it is taking to get it there, would be awesome. thanks in advance!

This is a raw API call instead of a macro, you can type that in your game and it will call that game method to send a chat message. It’s more of the programming side, but you can learn googling: “API SendChatMessage” and wowpedia or wowwiki articles gonna describe each field.

I might be wrong, but I believe /w or /y should be calling that method and the link between those two is broken

I’m hearing it’s fixed on PTR, so soon™?