Macros: Essential Information

This has similar functionality of what I already have, except now targeting myself and casting Crusader Strike changes my active target to whoever is hit. /startattack switches my target in every case so I removed that.

Though it is closer, main issue still seems to be having nothing to enter into those empty braces to specify nearest enemy target, assuming they represent a second set of parameters.

Why would you want to keep yourself targeted while dpsing an enemy?

Because Crusader Strike builds up holy power, which is my best healing resource. It is a major annoyance to be near death in pvp and needing just one more holy power to get off another Word of Glory, and it suddenly changes my target off the person about to die.

You can’t cast an ability at the nearest enemy target without targeting it. Spells can only be cast at a valid unit, like target, target, focus, focustarget, etc.

You could do this:

#showtooltip
/targetnearestenemy [noharm]
/use [harm][@targettarget,harm][]Crusader Strike
/targetlasttarget [harm]

That will make the nearest enemy your target if and only if you don’t have an enemy targeted. If you have a friendly targeted, it will swap you back to that friendly after Crusader Strike fires.

Note that /targetnearestenemy is the same as tab targeting, so it may or may not target the enemy you want. It can grab somebody out of range rather than the melee beating your face in, for example.

Also note that the macro has no way to know whether /targetnearestenemy fired, or if it successfully picked a target, so you will likely see some unintended behavior from /targetlasttarget from time to time. For example, if you had recently targeted yourself, then manually targeted the enemy, the /targetlasttarget will swap your target back to yourself.

You might try this instead:

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,harm,nodead][harm][@targettarget,harm][]Crusader Strike

If you have yourself or a friendly (without a valid enemy target) targeted, you can mouseover the nearest enemy in melee range and still use CS to get your HP.

2 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed response! I believe the second option is more viable, though with some change. As it functions now:

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,harm,nodead][harm][@targettarget,harm][]Crusader Strike

1. Casting while targeting an ally who has no target or a friendly target will deselect that friendly and target nearest enemy.
  2. If I have a mouseover target however it does not deselect my friendly target.

So for myself I would prefer it not to switch my target if an ally has no valid target selected, and instead do nothing until I have a valid mouseover target – is this a possibility?
Thanks again for the great answer.

Changing your heals to this (or some other mouseover/click cast system) and keeping an enemy targeted will make things so much more fluid.

Yeah, drop the [] from the end. That’s the default casting behavior, as though you pulled it out of the spellbook and dropped it on the bar.

Note that you won’t be able to use it without manually targeting an enemy if that’s the case - depending on your normal sequence when tabbing between mobs doing WQs or similar that difference could be imperceptible or insanely frustrating.

That said, I agree with @Elvenbane above - keeping the enemy targeted is easier for DPS as well as CC, interrupts, etc, and I personally find mouseover or click-casting to heal much easier and more comfortable.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!
I think I am going to use a combination of both of these options, for one I never realized that a mouseover macro works on the party frames as well as their nameplates.
I don’t think I trust healing an enemies target, at least in pvp, with the possibility of them swapping so someone else (to cc or whatever) and my heals being wasted on a relatively high health friendly.

Either way my question has been more than answered, so thank you for that, and I’ll leave you alone now. :slight_smile:

Then don’t?

Show your target of target frame the same size and right next to the target frame, and if your enemy target has a high-health group member targeted, use the mouseover casting instead.

Thank you for posting a clarification of macros. I am trying to figure out how to get my DH to use Immolation Aura when I land from Infernal Strike, but it all cast at the same time. Is it possible to get Immolation to cast when I land vs before I jump? And would that violate the EULA? Or was that something totally different that I stumbled on? Thank you in advance.

You can’t automate it in any way I can think of. Just do it as two separate presses.

Well then I would have no use for a macro. Are you saying just don’t use a macro? Not sure if that’s what you meant. I’m just trying to get 1 thing to go after another, or at a certain time. My lack of experience prevents me from explaining in a finer detail.

I’m saying there’s no way to automatically make it wait till you’ve landed to cast Immolation Aura.

Ok, thank you.

dont you recognize your own post … its @Ehiztari’s slash commands list script

Is there a way to make a mount macro that doesn’t use the name of the mount? I have a /userandom macro I swap around occasionally, but I can’t use some mounts (like the new “Wen Lo, the River’s Edge”) because the name has a comma and breaks the macro. Any workarounds that don’t involve an addon?

I’m not aware of any that don’t simply use the blizzard random mount function.

hmmm, I thought I saw somewhere (can’t find it now) that there was a way to use mount ID. Oh, well, guess I just won’t put those weird names in rotation.

The default UI lets you drag a button from the mounts window that summons a random favorited mount. Can just select those mounts as favorite and use that button.

Yes, but that’s a per-account list of favorite mounts, not per character, and it either includes (or excludes, can’t remember which) flying mounts in non-flying zones, making it more limited than a /userandom macro.

Additionally, you could do something like

#showtooltip
/userandom [mod:shift]Hearthstone;[mod:ctrl][combat]Aspect of the Cheetah;[mod:alt]VendorMount;[flyable]FlyingMount1,FlyingMount2,FlyingMount3;GroundMount1,GroundMount2,GroundMount3

That gives you a lot more flexibility in the macro to include a variety of non-mount abilities, special mounts for certain situations that you don’t want to include as favorites, etc.

It also works just fine for any mount, excepting those with a comma in the name, of which there are only 6.

1 Like