MacOS support

So it’s just FUD, disinformation, spam. The same thing as next gen GPU “leaks”.

But I do have popcorn to see 10.0 with no macOS or long time broken mac support but fully working WoA. It will be fun to read media coverage and forum posts, all those salty Mac Studio owners… Just make 10.0 with ton of “retention metrics” and player housing with cash shop only so it would be worse than SL on launch and we can all cheer as there will be a chance for incompetent people to finally get fired.

Who said 10.0 wouldn’t have mac support? it’s not going to have drastic changes from current code.

it’s just going to be more of the same is all. I wouldn’t expect things to be better or worse, nor should users. I believe I’ve been pretty clear. You on other hand are the actual disinformation and spam. Def a plus 1 for block list since it’s clear you’re no longer worth any of my time.

Just wanted to say thank you to you Omegal. You are a voice of reason which is appreciated. I would rather take your take on things than the cone of silence established by Blizzard.

I don’t expect Blizzard to magically change it’s stance on the Mac platform even under new management. In fact, I wholly expect it to get worse. That’s my common sense… but then you know what they say about common sense :wink:

1 Like

I don’t expect it to get worse, just not better.

I see no reason they’ll just stop supporting mac where it’s already supported, it will just continue to suffer from the low response on issues. Only way it could get worse is if apple makes it worse (which is entirely possible given their track record, but hopefully not).

It’s honestly gob-smacking how hostile they are towards including mac support for ANY new title (like Diablo Immortal) even when all they’d have to do is flag the iOS version to enable its use on macOS .

1 Like

Yep, what will end up happening, PlayCover will just make more money off mac players who have to buy 3rd party software to force sideload it because they don’t officially do it.

Well, at least Wotlk Classic is Mac compatible, which once again has to be ported to 64bit.

I ahve a Mac ad the game almost always says “oops something broke” when trying to update. I ahve been essentially unable to play for four months as a result. I’d be playing a ton otherwise but nooooo and Blizz won’t even give solutions that work!!

Reinstall the game

The Mac is by no means a large percentage of the overall computer market, but saying it “isn’t growing” is false and sounds more like old, outdated pre-2020 assumptions. Not only is it growing, but at twice the rate of PCs. The last seven Mac quarters have now been the top seven quarters ever in the history of the Mac-- and 50% of Mac purchases were first timers. Obviously only a percentage of those buyers will have gaming ambitions, but this applies to PC as well where the vast majority are low end budget laptops or business workstations.

Blizzard went further than that though by optimizing the WoW client for Metal, which isn’t cross-platform at all and not a simple undertaking, so they did at least go the extra mile for Mac. They even added support for AMD FidelityFX FSR and AO. Where is the original source of the Mac team being gutted? Has Blizzard officially spoken about this?

Omegal is an MVP and has additional channels of communication compared to regular posters, especially as a TS/CS MVP. As such he knows more than those on the outside do.

Regarding Metal, that was put into the client long ago. And Blizzard does indeed have just one person on the platform dev ream that codes for macOS. The actual mac team was absorbed into the platform team many years ago. The lone macOS dev unfortunately also has to service the Windows clients not just for WoW, but for all modern Blizzard games. That leaves the macOS clients in a spot where they usually have to wait for a Windows patch cycle to get the client whatever bugfixes are slated to be put in. macOS is rhe lowest priority when it comes to things like that. Hell, Diablo 3 hasn’t even been updated to use Metal and as a result suffers being almost unplayable on modern macOS because it is an OpenGL based game and Apple depreciated that API long ago and never updated it to 4.6 to at least be somewhat modern.

Omegal doesn’t lie to us about things. There is no reason to. He arms us with the information and lets us make our own decisions or judgments based on that info. If he were fibbing us out in the open here Blizzard would have put a stop to it long ago.

Oh mac market is definitely growing. I hope it continues to so companies like blizzard reverse course and instead of scaling back mac support, start putting into again.

Metal support was probably last thing done with full scale mac resources. Continued support into it is because metal benefits from the work that also goes into dx12. they share a significant amount of common code. In fact that goes back to what I said about unifying code as much as possible so that code changes benefit everyone. So by no means does mac not benefit from updates, it does. It’s more of an issue when mac and ONLY mac specifically breaks from unified code changes, that things stay in that state a long time unless the work around is super easy.