Mac Studio M1 Max 32 Graphics Cores WoW Performance

Yeah it’s likely that since chips in studio are not giving more power with improved cooling vs MBP enclosure, they just stay cooler

I’m hoping when they put them in a mac pro, and HOPEFULLY actually have a decent case and cooling, they actually do do more than just slap 4 Max’s together without any power bump.

1 Like

With my Mac Studio even when all CPU and GPU cores are fully saturated the SoC temperatures rarely exceed 55º and the fans never increase beyond a background whisper. I’ve never seen that level of cool and quiet performance in a computer before. Since WoW is the primary game I still play anymore outside of all my other productivity and media creation software it’s been a surprisingly great all around system for me so far. There are a few strange spots in Ardenweald and Oribos where I’ll encounter random FPS hiccups, but for the most part it’s extremely smooth, especially in raiding.

Based on your Post, i bought the same Mac (same Specs) and im not getting those results. Ive made fresh install of monterey after finding out that wow is causing bad black flickering under ventura.

In a lot of DF zones my FPS drop from 60 to 45 and in Nighthold solo a few days ago, the FPS dropped badly below 40 FPS in a few encounters.

Any tips? Resolution is at 4k 60hz. Shadows low, compute effects medium, SSAO low, projected textures off, scaling 100%…

So not maxed out and bad FPS anyway…but youre completely maxed out on settings and still get better FPS? How?

That’s your problem. Knock scaling to between 50-75%. Your machine can’t handle 4k60 @ 100% scaling in many places. Then go into Advanced and set the scaling method from Point to FSR.

Yes it can handle 4K 60FPS without scaling. The poster is using compute on medium, please turn it COMPLETLY OFF :slight_smile:
Blizzard should just disable it on default, it is buggers for performance and brings nothing.

I am on 4K 60FPS 10/10/10 Everything on high except compute off. And effects on dynamic and ofc Vsync on + TP.

Secondly 50% FSR scaling on 4K is seriously ugly as hell, 4K should go to max QHD resolutions nothing less. But again it is not needed on this machine.

1 Like

Thank you very much to everyone in this thread! I was on the fence about purchasing a Studio until I read this thread. World of Warcraft is the only game I play and I have other needs for work, school, and audio production so this seems like a great fit. Very helpful!

2 Likes

I wonder if you’re getting the bug where it’s using point and not FSR. but either way it’s subjective. 1440p on a 4k display for me for examle looks worse than 4k with FSR. btw you don’t HAVE to use 50% you can use 60% or 66% or any percent that feels good. it just determines the base resolution used for upscale. I’ve seen some swear by 60 or 66

Nah don’t think I have the bug as that clearly is extremely blocky. I think it’s because I have a 32 inch screen with makes the pixels bigger so it’s more noticeable and perhaps my eyes. 75% still looks pretty good on my screen if I need it.
I prolly get one of those new flashy OLED 27inch (Asus & LG) with a QHD screen next year with a higher refresh rate and VRR (hopefully fixed by then).

Are you able to get a Razer Naga working? I cannot use the additional keybinds. The mouse’s number pad just registers as my standard keyboard numbers.

Hi I would like to know more about the fan noise if possible. I am considering buying a mac to replace my old Windows junker (which I love but 11 years is too much to expect out of it). One of the two things I didn’t like about my computer was the noise, it was about 53 db when playing WoW. I would prefer a silent computer.

Are there any macs which are silent but can also play WoW relatively well? I’m not picky about fancy settings, I don’t mind playing it on one as long as the fps consistently reaches 50 or higher.

They are quite silent, especially with default fan curve, but with that curve if you are running strong settings in gaming or compute it will throttle in macbook pro, unsure of studio without an adjusted fan curve that’s a little louder but still not super loud.

I currently run 2 4k/120hz monitors on my macbook pro, and dual box two wow clients capped at 60fps (which works nicely with 120 for frame pacing) and 50% render scale so FSR carries some of heavy lifting (cause rendering two wows at 4k at native would be silly).

runs solid and fans do rev up to about 5500rpm with my fan curve and this high demand, but i barely hear them over game audio, but of course i can hear them if I listen for them so take with that what you will. studio would probably be even quieter.

For reference

I have a M1 Mac Mini with 16GB ram. Graphics are set at 6 or 7. I lock my frame rate at 60 and achieve that almost everywhere. Main cities during peak times can drop to around 45 or 50.

I never hear my fan. I do use Mac Fans extension with it’s default settings.

Generally speaking, Macs are very quiet unless you are doing something that pushes the cpu.

Thanks for this! I’ve been looking at replacing my 2014 mini, and haven’t been sure whether I wanted to go for an M2 mini or a studio.

Does it work OK for raiding/dungeons? My current mini struggles a lot with bigger groups.

Yes, it works fine for raiding, dungeons and battlegrounds. I have no complaints.