Mac FPS down to 5 during taragrue hungering mists

I know overall FPS is down but during raid night both players using Macs had their FPS drop to 5 FPS during Hungering mists on Taragrue normal. This meant both players died unless they were very lucky.
There is something about the texture used for the mist that is incompatible
We changed just about every setting we could think of but nothing helped
I’m on
27" imac late 2015
4GHz quad core i7
24 GB ram
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

My wife and I experienced the same thing. I’m not quite sure I saw 5 FPS but I know I was at least as low as 15 FPS each time. She doesn’t keep a framerate display visible but says “the camera wasn’t responsive to my turning or at least I couldn’t tell whether it was responsive”. That’s absolutely miserable for such a short, punishing, mechanic.

I’m on very similar specs:

27" retina iMac Late 2014
4 GHz Quad-Core i7
24 GB RAM
R9 M295X 4 GB
macOS 10.15.7

She’s on:

Macbook Pro 13" 2020
3.2 GHz Quad-Core i7
16 GB RAM
Iris Plus 1536MB
macOS 11.4

1 Like

Having the same issue. My guild mates who use PC do not seem to be having this issue so it is something with the game on Mac.

My frame rate is down to 45 - 50 fps in normal content (was much higher before 9.1 launch), Nathria in general is lower than than (during combat) although I don’t have an exact number, and during Taragrue drops to 10-12 fps. As Kettlepaw said: absolutely miserable on a short & punishing mechanic. Basically, the game becomes a slide show.

I play on EU servers but posting here as I don’t think there is a Mac specific forum on the EU side.

Macbook Pro 16 inch, 2019
Intel Core I9, 2.3 Ghz, 8 core
RAM 32GB
Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Big Sur, 11.4

1 Like

i am running the same rig as you, with Big Sur, and my FPS has been down to 5 for weeks now. the weird thing is, it will come and go sometimes (i suspect it’s worse when more people are logged in on my realm), but in general the game is unenjoyable for me now. I have tried all sorts of things (dedicated graphics card, dropping down all my CPU-intensive settings, etc.) all to no avail. i am desperately hoping someone can find a solution!

@Prelimar… Graphics settings are something else I’ve tried (including taking Raid graphics down to “1” and still get massive latency / low frame rate during Hungering Mists.

1 Like

Yes, thanks – turning those down and turning off vertical syncing seems to have helped a lot, as did going to the actual “World of Warcraft.app” file, toggling the info panel for it (Command+i), and checking the “Open in Low Resolution” checkbox. just doing all that seems to have increased my FPS to the teens and twenties (haha) which is MUCH better than 2-5 FPS!

1 Like

So opened a ticket on the issue. As part of the ticket, I uploaded my system report (as the ticketing system requests).

The response I received:

1. Talked about an issue with M1 chips… which my laptop doesn’t have. I have an intel i9. (Which the system report they asked for shows)

2. talked about my low power graphics card. My MacBook, however, has 2 graphics options. A lower power onboard graphics and a dedicated Radeon Pro 5500M as a “high performance” option. The Radeon is active and switching to save power is disabled. (Which the system report they asked for shows).

3. advised me to uninstall all add-ons , configuration files, and the game itself. Which would mean at least a whole day getting the game reinstalled and set back up the way I like. Plus others have done this with no improvement.

4. Advised that the ticket was closed.

All this suggests they view this as an individual user issue and not a problem on their side (at least until they get pushback). The number of latency complaints on the forums (both North America and EU) should get them to at least consider the idea it is on their end. (But that, of course, assumes they actually monitor the forums proactively.)

Needless to say, I’ve responded. I’ve asked for the ticket to be reopened and for a relevant and reasonable fix for the issue. :slight_smile:

All in all, a frustrating experience so far.

1 Like

Intel user here on Catalina. I am also having FPS drop during this effect. It is impossible to dodge the mechanic and survive. I have 12 FPS and shoots back to 60 when the effect leaves. I turned my graphics to 1 and turned off v-sync with no difference.

2 Likes

Intel i7 user on Big Sur. FPS issues during mists MUCH worse than in any other situation. Playable, but just barely.

It’s going to make some of the game take a hit in the looks department, but does setting the Compute Effects to Disabled in the game’s System settings help any of you for this?

Last I heard, engine wants art to look at problem. It’s not something that’s on their end but an extremely ineffciient bad way design went about creating the visual affect here.

Problem is, design tends to wait until next major patch to fix things like that. Uldirs performance issues were designs fault not engine, and it didn’t even get fixed until the next raid shipped. Same with some performance issues in nighthold where certain trash mobs tanked fps.

You’d be surprised how many performance issues are not caused by client/engine but just genuinely bad design. Of course to the consumer at end of day they don’t care what department messed it up, it’s “blizzard” who should fix it. Things just get complicated because the way blizzard structures their teams, each team is independant almost like a sub studio that answers to their own boss and not to the other teams bosses so when something is broken it’s usually a pissing match of who fixes it versus a colaboration. :\

If there is one thing I’d like to see at blizzard, well besides cleaning up harassment, is to improving their collaborative effort/communication between different teams to avoid problems liket his in future.

Would it be so bad if design actually ran things passed game engine or server engineering teams to avoid performance issues with client or server. instead of doing whatever the heck they want and leaving the fallout on someone else to deal with.

I believe I tried this option, since I had a long time where I was dead on the ground during this fight. With all settings disabled or on low, I still had the drop. Interestingly, I also tried enabling raid/bg settings and set it to 1, but the “disable” option on many effects is greyed out, I’m assuming because you may not be able to see certain important effects with them removed entirely.

I need to do the raid again this week and if I’m in the same boat, I will report back with more certainty that I tested this effect. I’ve been putting off running it because I am not looking forward to the complaints about how I’m such a bad player and I can’t dodge mechanics. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some others on PC are also experiencing this frame drop and it seems until they fix this issue, the only option I’ve seen from other threads is to get the oddly-intangible key anima power so you are immune to most of the damage from it. If I’m with an LFR group I doubt I will be comfortable attempting to re-roll them until I get it if I don’t on the first go, however.

The compute effects option has not fixed other areas of the game that create FPS drops for me either, interestingly.

Most of fps drop locations aren’t from compute effects, outside of ardenweald which uses them to excess. The fps drops in toher parts of games are just specific textures or visual effects and way they were put in by design (without much thought for performance). They really do off wall things like “I like this effect but it’s not strong enough, i’ll apply this affect 1000x to the same object so it’s really flashy”. and that one effect is now a 30fps drop (this is citing an actual example that happened in nighthold).

THAT’s why the game runs bad, not because of engine. :\

It just adversely affects macs a lot more because they are almost always weaker machine on gpu side of things do to the fact they are often powered by thermal throttled mobile gpus in tight poorly cooled enclosures outside of the hackintosh or egpu crowd that uses real gpus with real cooling and runs game like a dream like any mid to high end PC user gets priviledge of doing.

1 Like

Glad to see this thread is here. Tried an M1 Mini for the first time. Rest of raid was pretty good but the mists section was nearly unplayable. Which is bad for a critical section.