M2 Mac Mini ‘Nosound Driver’ after Phase 4 WOTLK Updates

System: Mac OS Sonoma / M2 pro 10-core Mac Mini

Before WOTLK phase 4 updates everything run smoothly. After the update everything else is good except no sound - audio setting tab showing ‘Nosound drivers’

I use my Display’s default speaker, all softwares’ sound are fine except WOTLK (I dont have retail installed).

I tried the following:

1. Disable all addons and restart game
  2. Disable all addons, set all audio settings to default, and restart game/Bnet app/computer
  3. Update my OS to the latest Sonoma version (restart computer required automatically), enter the game still no sound, then I repeated step 2 above.

None of the above works and brings the sound back.

It’d be greatly appreciated if anyone can provide a solution. Thanks.

1 Like

You wouldn’t happen to have something like Zoom or MS Teams installed would you? If your answer to MS Teams is “yes”, you might want to have a look at this post to see about finding out whether or not you got hit with the good ol’ third party sound driver interfering with macOS’ own drivers issue.

Hi there thanks for reply and the link. I’ve read that link before I posted my question, unfortunately that solution wasn’t quite fit my situation - I don’t have Zoom or MS Teams installed ever on my Mac, and there’s only 3 empty folders under the ‘plug-in’ folder on my Mac. Guess I am just hoping they can fix this on the next update smh.

that’s also just a common macOS bug where you plug a headset in and unplug it again reboots sound driver and makes the audio show up again. some have to leave headphones plugged in but then just change output back to speakers

I’ve been having issues with my sound on my M2 Mac mini all day. I’m playing retail. My game will stutter for a second and then all my sound is gone. Only way to get it back is to reboot the game. My audio settings tab is also displaying “nosound drivers”. I’m not having any issues with other sound sources such as YouTube.

If we’re talking about the bug (which I experience on retail) where swapping to another input source for a while (e.g. taking a call) sets WoW to “NoSound”, I found just swapping the output in the audio control settings will reset this.

To make things easier on me, I grabbed a basic audio management mod (“SoundManager”), set the allowed output to ONLY my audio device, and click-toggle it as needed.