M1 pro dropped framerates, i cant figure it out

I have the MacBook M1 PRO 16GB GPU. Quite often my frame rates drop to 30 while playing, even when I have the graphics and resolution turned all the way down to pixelated trash. I can’t for the life of me figure it out. My M1 mini and air had way better performance than this. Anybody have ideas?

could be throttling. my m1 max macbook pro definitely throttles if I don’t manually adjust fan control higher using Mac Fans Control.

the default fan curve is really bad. it will let cpu hit 100C (boiling) before it even turns fans on high…when that happens it’s already throttling down. when fans on high it won’t even break 90C under full heavy load.

on top of that, the vents on macbook pro are not exactly super good at moving air away from machine either.

it’s also worth noting the native resolution of macbook pro is actually slightly higher than 4k. your mini might be plugged into a 1080p monitor.

the ideal way to render on 4k though is to set render scale to 50% then go in advanced graphics options and set resample technique to fidelity super Resolution 1.0 (FSR)

1 Like

Thank you, much appreciated. I am going to try out manually controlling the fans.