[M1] Display flicker issue on M1 Macs (internal and external displays)

Update: I think I’ve isolated the Console message associated with the whole-screen flicker. Text copied below. I discovered I can reliably induce the flicker by putting WoW into windowed mode on the external display and moving the mouse from the internal to the external display.

The flicker is accompanied by the Title Bar of the window lengthening and then shortening back to the “default” size. Perhaps something with the new Big Sur title bars is causing the issue?

Console message:
WindowServer - [1.26.0] +[ASEProcessing shouldEnhanceWidth:height:destinationWidth:destinationHeight:]: src={ 3840w x 2160h }, dest={ 2880w x 1620h }, aseFunctionOnYesOffNo=0

1 Like

Not sure if this will help others but I had in game flickering and it went away when I enabled HDR(High Dynamic Range) under macOS System Preferences > Displays > Display and then enabled Smart HDR on my monitor. I have a Dell 27" Gaming Monitor model S2721DGF. Also I also set refresh rate to 144 Hertz but I don’t think that makes a difference.

1 Like

Also Should mention I have the M1 Mac Mini

Unfortunately my monitor is capped at 60Hz so I’m unable to try that solution.

I noticed when using the M1 Mac, the monitor doesn’t indicate it’s receiving a 60Hz signal, it only recognises the resolution and 30-bit colour. But if I plug in a 2019 Intel MBP, it does indicate 60Hz in addition to the resolution and 30-bit colour.

Added to an earlier comment on the Console message: the title bar of the WoW window appears to lengthen height then return to normal size every time there is a flicker. Could it be a Big Sur issue with the new view frameworks?

I was pointed to this thread after opening a support ticket. I’m experiencing “flicker” on external as well as built in display connected to a macbook air M1. I have found the issue always happens as a result of mouse movement. If i’m playing using keyboard commands I do not experience the flicker, it only happens when I use the mouse.

1 Like

Some Big Sur threads suggested tweaking Mouse accessibility settings, but those didn’t work for me.

A temporary fix: put the display into Mirrored mode (Best for External) and the graphical glitches will only happen on the internal display.

1 Like

Nice hack! Works like a charm here, but a little annoying to keep the cover open. Like everyone else on this thread, I’m getting this flicker with a stock M1 MBA on both the internal and external display. Hope they fix this soon!

FWIW: Using a totally different 1440p monitor without any scaling whatsoever–same issue (at every refresh rate - 60/100/120/144Hz).

I am also having this issue on an M1 MacBook Pro 13". I have tried several issue but have seen no solution yet.

Also, if you tried windowed mode it seems to fix it but you can see the outline of the window move when you move the mouse. Don’t know if that helps or not.

Unfortunately the issue occurs for me in windowed mode as well.

I just tried a completely clean install of macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 with nothing else installed but Battle.net/WoW, and the issue still occurs.

I also have a M1 Mac Mini and turning on HDR in Displays solved the problem both in WoW and X-Plane. I also turned off the “Displays have separate Spaces” option in Mission Control, but this did not remove the flicker.

I have this same problem (M1 MBP 13), using the built-in display. Flickering only happens when moving the mouse, and goes away after a second or two of inactivity from the mouse.

I have the solution for the ‘flickering only happens when moving the mouse’ issue (at least on my laptop, this will probably work for other displays as well). This is a result of Apple changing the Default for Display to a non-native multiplier of the native screen resolution. If you go to System Preferences/Displays/ and change the Resolution to “Scaled” and pick a multiplier of your native resolution, then set the resolution to either the same or 2x the resolution that the Mac is scaling too, it resolves the flicker issue. This was the only solution I found. So for example: My M1 MacBook Pro has a native resolution of 2560x1600. The ‘Default for Display’ uses 2880x1800 as its scale so its desktop would match that of the 15" MacBook pros. This creates the ‘flicker’ when moving the mouse as pixels shift. If you then set the scaled resolution to 1280x800 it will be a perfect multiplier of 2560x1600. You can then choose 2560x1600 in the world of warcraft resolution settings and the flicker will cease. Also, in my case, I was able to set the scaling to 1280x800 while keeping the resolution at 2560x1600 and it prevents my computer from absolutely melting trying to render the game, while keeping the text in game at the higher super sharp resolution. The only downside to this is having to deal with the screen real estate loss in the Mac OS while using that lower scaled resolution.

4 Likes

This also worked for me. I can just switch the back to default resolution when not playing but I hope either Blizzard or Apple can introduce some patch fix for this.

I was having this issue with flickering as well on my M1 Mac mini. I just installed the 11.1 Developer Beta 2, and the flicker has stopped. Seems like Apple may have fixed it. I was also able to get the flicker to stop before the update by turning HDR on, but loosing my 144hz refresh rate.

1 Like

Confirming that I had this flicker on my M1 Mac mini, and updating to 11.1 beta 2 fixed it.

Huge help, thank you. Small issue but has been bugging me and this fixed it.

Experiencing same problem. Just got my Mac mini today sadly.

Flickering, ghosting/burn ins. Tried mostly everything from changing refresh rate. Changing color profile. changing monitor settings. Nothing fixes it. It doesn’t matter if you’re playing games or just browing the web and watching videos it’ll happen

The only thing that worked for me is using my dust filled basement budget 1080p IPS budget Samsung monitor. I haven’t seen problems yet been using for 7 hours.

I re hooked up my newer monitor and it’s beginning to act up again as I type this

Try the Big Sur Beta Release Candidate 11.1.1… fixes a lot of display issues. Requires you to sign up for developer access to download however.