M Shadhar - Umbral Mantle / Eruption

Looking for some clarification for my mythic raid group.

Here’s the tooltip for Umbral Eruption:

“Every few seconds the Umbral Mantle erupts off of Shad’har the Insatiable, inflicting 245405 Shadow damage to all players within 4 yards of the impact. The frequency of these eruptions increases as the fight progresses.”

This is confusing. Does UE go off every few seconds? Or only for a time after each Umbtal Mantle? Or does it have nothing to do with the Umbral Mantle cooldown (20 seconds)?

They are separate abilities, The Mantle is just a 20 AOE burst to the raid and the Eruption is the pools on the floor you move out of.

1 Like

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately I already know both of those things - but how often is erruption? It gets faster throughout the fight acording to the tooltip… but if it’s on a set timer does that mean it’s at the same time every encounter?

My understanding is that it’s on an internal timer that speeds up. I do not know the timings and have never seen any info on it. Why do you want to know?

1 Like

I’m part of a pretty casual mythic raiding community and we are working on a healer CD rotation. The umbral eruption on the ground speeding up is tricky for druid and holy priest cooldowns as theirs requires a channel - so I’m trying to decide the optimum time to have those classes use theirs. Being able to figure out the time between umbral eruptions would be helpful for that.

Thanks for your responses!

Edited to add: also, I just get really frustrated with blizzard’s inconsistent or vague tooltips. For example the dungeon journal mentions an ability called umbral breath, but when shadhar casts it it’s called slurry breath. This can be very confusing when people are trying to discuss strategy, as there are also abilities called umbral mantle, umbral erruption, and slurry outburst, which people can get mixed up due to this.

I see no reason for them to have this tooltip say “every few seconds the umbral mantle erupts off of him”…as it’s not every few seconds… it’s a changing time based on the duration of phase 1.

You shouldn’t need healer CD’s during that phase, phase 2 is when the healers will get hammered so you want to save them for then.

1 Like

We run with 5-6 healers so it’s not too hard to get the cooldowns back for phase 2. Also, getting through phase 1 is still the main issue for us, so saving them for P2 isn’t helpful since we don’t spend much time in P2. (I know we shouldn’t need them in p1 is your point - but it’s a pretty casual group and I can’t control everyone doing things right as I’ m just a participant, so I’m just looking to optimize our heals in p1).

I may just do a semi-flexible healer cd rotation since the umbral explosion makes things a bit harder to specify set moments.

I know, just letting you know that you’ll need to be saving them when you get there. First phase is all about doing the blobs while dodging the pools.

You’re telling me

Can be rough if you don;t have the DPS to push him reasonably fast.

phase 1 is not very stressful on the healers if dps dodge, phase 2 is when the dps really need to go ham and the healers have to blow cds before the stacks get too high

1 Like

Yep, you wanna lust in P2 to push it ASAP. And second pot