M+ seasonal affix change

You haven’t played in spud pugs for a while have you?

1 Like

I see bad pugs all the time. Infested was easier than fortified/tyrannical, period. Easier for good players, easier for bad players, easier for everyone. It’s the only affix that never caused a wipe at any level of play. The worst that could happen is that a trash pack takes a bit longer than it should.

You haven’t played in spud pugs for a while have you?

Me? No. I basically refuse to pug at this point and I don’t have near the time to dedicate to the game as I did last xpac. I pretty much went full casual. I think you are still not getting my point tho. While the ability numbers are % based (I forgot that, so my bad), the mob hp and current level of gearing has to be considered. Even doing WQ’s you will out gear a 2 like a laughable amount. Introducing reaping on a 2 would make the reaping mobs largely trivial because they would just fall over at a sneeze. Because they would just drop, that makes the actual amount of mechanics a “spud pug” would have to deal with lower because the mobs would die before they got the casts off.

This would scale up with the key so the higher the key, the more and more you have to deal with the mechanics of the reaping trash which would be a solid learning curve imo.

Again, I admit I may be thinking about it wrong, but I haven’t really seen a reply to convince me that I am wrong in assuming the scaling is why it would work.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your tag for Aewendil.

Actually one trick to make reaping easier at higher levels or keys with tons of casters, (Looking at you Shrine) Is to purposely get hit by one shadow smash to reduce your maximum health. This ALSO reduces the damage from grave bolt (25% of 100k is only 25k damage, 25% of 200k is 50k damage) and thus makes it easier to heal thru.

Obviously you need to time your reapings so you can drop your debuff before any hard hitting attacks that aren’t avoidable if you use this strat.

Talking about %'s as current also ignores the possibility that Reaping could scale on %'s, going from say 15% at +2 to 25% at +10, or something to that effect.

I don’t think it’s a good idea. If people are struggling at low keys, switching it up each season may frustrate them because they just finally got used to the previous season (and maybe not even gotten used to). Having just two things to get accustom to (Tyr and Fort) and not have it change the entire xpac is doing them a favor. As they reach the next steps they will have to learn other affixes, but I think keeping the base consistent provides some stability.

You might be right but I just think the seasonal affixes are more interesting and somewhat easier than fort/tyrannical are. Reaping after all is based on the HP of the dungeon mobs, at low key levels reaping mobs would just fall over dead.

That is kind of my point tho. Since the low key players, or the super uncoordinated groups that aren’t experts with mechanics would still be able to experience each new seasons affix without it being overly threatening off the bat.

At their level, tyran/fort is harder. Reaping would increase in difficulty at a much easier scale to adjust to than tyran/fort. This would make the overall pugging/learning curve a tad easier at lower keys, but keep it equally as hard as it is now once you get to the higher keys that require higher demand from the players.

With that said, I am not saying to eliminate the challenge sub 10 keys, but I am just trying to give folks something new and exciting to look forward to with the seasons. The only people that actually experience any variation in the m+ game are those running 10+ keys. For the folks doing 9’s or less, the m+ experience is exactly the same as it was from the start of the expansion and will not change. Their incentive to continue with keys is less and their more likely to get burnt out.

2 Likes

I’d like to hear from some people that run +2-5 keys regularly. What’s actually causing the groups to fail the timers? Is it actually dps, trash mechanics, boss mechanics or ninja pulls? I might pug some low keys to see what the issue with timers is. I’m genuinely interested to see.

To be clear: I don’t do many above the 10-11 range in my normal group.

1 Like

Ninja pulls would be my bet.

I couldn’t tell if you were being serious or trolling until you said that part. Then I realized you were messing with everyone. 10/10 good work man.