Low, medium, high? what does it actually mean?

So as we are all trying to decide which server we might switch to. I’m stuck in this situation where Blizzard hasn’t made it clear what size a server a low population or any other size actually means. I’m worried that “low” means low by classic/vanila standards which means a server with enough people to make two solid full guilds.

Wtf does low, medium, high, and full mean blizzard. If you tell me low actually means 10,000 people and full means 70,000 people then hell yeah I’ll play on a low server. But if low is 3000 and full means 30,000 then I’m more inclined to play on a high pop server.

2 Likes

Even a Full realm in 2006 would be Low by our current metrics.

5 Likes

Someone asked that question in the reddit AmA and blizz said they won’t answer it with actual numbers. All they said was that medium now is higher than high was then.

1 Like

Lots, Lotters, Lottest.

9 Likes

Small queue, medium queue, IT’S OVER 9,000!!!

7 Likes

From what I’ve read and interpreted regarding Blizzard’s intention:

Low = Pop more than vanilla sever, but too low to survive initial leavers
Medium = Pop between Low and high, could go either way
High = Pop at Blizzard ideal range for long term playerbase post leavers, probably some queues initially
Full = Pop too high for players to log in without lengthy queues, server may be overpopulated by phase 2

But that is if server pops behave as Blizzard expects, like expansion releases, which they might not.

3 Likes

A server was full in 2006 if there were ~2500 people online, and then a queue would start.

So now ~2500 online is Low. My personal guess is Medium is 5k, High 7.5k, and Full 10k.

Bliz said full realms could have 10k queues and caps have been raised. My guess is caps were doubled.

Those numbers could be much higher because I’m just guessing.

Also guessing only a small percentage have subbed just for the names reservation.

That outright stated Low means bigger than a vanilla server ever was…

READ THE BLUE POST

Way to low.

That would mean far less than 1 million classic players.

I’m guessing the servers that are full are in the range of 50,000-100,00 people.

My guess is based off atleast 1,000,000 players for classic.

Don’t forget we have layering technology; something we didn’t have back in vanilla.

That’s why our servers can handle way more than they used to, also the nifty hardware.

they haven’t told us exact numbers only blizz knows that

I’ve seen 2500 and 3500 given in various places as server capacity but I’d imagine those numbers are meant to be concurrent logins, not total accounts/characters created on the server. I found this post https://i.imgur.com/yNWkujT.png from Mark Kern (Grummz) on the Elysium Project Discord says that the server capacity was 3500 to 4000 and I’m guessing he means concurrent logins. Additionally Blizzard ran the vanilla servers intentionally below capacity https://youtu.be/izCBaGfGJCg?t=2373 also per Mark Kern.

At some point during vanilla I believe they raised the cap to 3500 per realm. So if low means 3000 people then the low servers would end up being the only servers with an authentic vanilla experience which is why I’ll probably be rolling on one of the new servers Monday.

P.S. I created this account during the freaking 2004 open beta, for the love of God let me post a stupid link already Blizzard

Low pop means lots of resources and mobs available to you. Great for leveling and farming (get all your rare hunter pets!). Limited end game raiding opportunities unless you’re in that one guild which is hopefully the same faction as you are. And if you’re playing a weird spec, you probably won’t have to be the guild master’s SO to guarantee you a raid spot.

Medium pop means a little more competition for resources and a little more options for end game available to you.

High pop means all the options for what WoW contains is available to anyone with the skill and time. Lots of competition. And if you’re in the minority faction on a PvP realm, you are going to die a lot while leveling.

hahaha, would that be 9000 people or hours in que time sir? love your comment

TBH, I believe them when they say a Full WoW Classic server has more people than High population server, but how much of that is to show off to the video games media and their stock holders? These are subjective terms so I guess we’ll find out!

The number of people in the queue. It’s funnier that way because it will be true. Some queues might be well over 9k.

I want to long into medium server pop and its got a 9 k que when started an hr ago

it means freaking nothing because the MOMENT the new servers went online, i tried getting onto kromkrus and was hit with a 3 hour queue. all of this is a ponyshow